Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Costs
Ron
post Dec 11 2010, 10:04 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 277

I know tax, etc has gone up on road fuel, but does anyone know why it has reached circa £1.25 per litre for diesel when oil is at about $90 a barrel, where as it reached about $140 a barrel before fuel cost reached this level before?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
betsy
post Dec 11 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 568

Just passed the BP garage near B & Q. They want 128.9p for Diesel!!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 11 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Ron @ Dec 11 2010, 10:04 AM) *
I know tax, etc has gone up on road fuel, but does anyone know why it has reached circa £1.25 per litre for diesel when oil is at about $90 a barrel, where as it reached about $140 a barrel before fuel cost reached this level before?

I'd guess it is because that is what people will pay. Plus it gives the companies a chance to 'absorb' the VAT rise.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 11 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

People will whinge their socks off and then go on paying it anyway, I'm off to buy shares in BP !

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Dec 15 2010, 10:21 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 11 2010, 08:35 PM) *
People will whinge their socks off and then go on paying it anyway, I'm off to buy shares in BP !

It's another opportunity for the gov't to squeeze the taxpayer after years and years of bad decisions and investments.

I work in Bracknell. The cost of using public transportation is more expensive than driving to work. I am starting to work from home more to save costs. I also do volunteer work, and that is costing me more than before, and it is starting to have me think whether or not it's worth it due to the costs I am occurring.

On the weekends, the bus service is not adequate and again to transport a family again is more expensive than driving. If we want to go on a day out say to London, the cost of driving and parking is cheaper and more reliable than taking the train. If I lived in London, then yes, using public transportation is better, but not out in the sticks.

Owning a car in this day an age in not a luxury, it's a necessity. What is the amount of tax that is paid on a litre of petrol, 75, 80 cents. Don't forget to add in the cost of road tax to what the gov't is getting from the taxpayer.

It's not only about BP getting rich, it's the gov't trying to recoup their losses on bad decisions made by various govt's over the years.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 15 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Dec 15 2010, 12:21 PM) *
The cost of using public transportation is more expensive than driving to work. .

I doubt it if it is just you travelling and you take in ALL the costs of driving in.

+Quote Post
Brad
post Dec 16 2010, 08:08 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 954

Prices to drive are a joke im 27 never had an accident, been driving 9 years and im paying £550 a year insurance on a 1.3 classic mini that i drive about 1000 miles a year. Fuel prices are ridiculous its getting very close to having to give up my hobby as its just to expensive!

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Dec 16 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I doubt it if it is just you travelling and you take in ALL the costs of driving in.

It takes me roughly 40 minutes to drive the 23 miles door to door with my place of employment. It takes me a lot longer by public transport, as I have to transfer trains then take a bus.

When you compare the price of petrol to the price of the train ticket plus the time it takes when I could be earning money instead of sitting on unrealiable public transport, the car is still cheaper.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 16 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

and a sight more reliable too.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 16 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Dec 16 2010, 10:52 AM) *
It takes me roughly 40 minutes to drive the 23 miles door to door with my place of employment. It takes me a lot longer by public transport, as I have to transfer trains then take a bus.

When you compare the price of petrol to the price of the train ticket plus the time it takes when I could be earning money instead of sitting on unrealiable public transport, the car is still cheaper.

It's not just the price of the petrol though is it?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 16 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Dec 16 2010, 11:28 AM) *
and a sight more reliable too.

Wait 'till the snow comes!

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Dec 17 2010, 01:44 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

It's not just the price of the petrol though is it?

If the price of petrol keeps increasing, then people will be forced to use the unrealiable public transport.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 17 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Dec 17 2010, 02:44 AM) *
If the price of petrol keeps increasing, then people will be forced to use the unrealiable public transport.

Define "unreliable" (I presume that is what you meant) in this context.
FGW performance figures here.
Reliability figures all around 99%.

Or are you just going by what you read and see in the media?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 17 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 17 2010, 10:10 AM) *
Define "unreliable" (I presume that is what you meant) in this context.
FGW performance figures here.
Reliability figures all around 99%.

He said public transport, he didn't specify trains in his post. What does 99% actually mean in practical terms, within the context of trains?

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Dec 17 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I am talking facts here.

Sure, the trains show up, but at what time.

Did you see the figures on punctuality? How do they measure that? If the train is to show up at Thatcham at 8:30, is 8:45 punctual?

When I have to see customers in London, I take the train. I ensure that I leave Thatcham at least 2.5 hours before the meeting so I arrive on time. If I had to take the train to Bracknell, I would have to leave at least 2 hours to ensure I show up on time.

I have lived in Italy and Germany before, and I can tell you the continental trains are alot more "reliable" than the "service" we have in the UK.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 17 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Dec 17 2010, 12:10 PM) *
I am talking facts here.

Sure, the trains show up, but at what time.

Did you see the figures on punctuality? How do they measure that? If the train is to show up at Thatcham at 8:30, is 8:45 punctual?

When I have to see customers in London, I take the train. I ensure that I leave Thatcham at least 2.5 hours before the meeting so I arrive on time. If I had to take the train to Bracknell, I would have to leave at least 2 hours to ensure I show up on time.

I have lived in Italy and Germany before, and I can tell you the continental trains are alot more "reliable" than the "service" we have in the UK.

Are cars punctual?

Do you never get caught in jams or hold ups?

Obviously you can use whatever form of transport you prefer.

I am just trying to put things in perspective from the vastly disproportionate view of public transport that the media presents and many people believe.

No, nothing is perfect and nothing is totally reliable and punctual.
All have their plus and minus points.

The continental rail systems you quote have had vast sums of money spent on them to give the service you state.

Until our attitude towards public transport in this country changes from being a nation of "bus and train bashers" then the confidence and investment will always lack behind those counties who take more of a pride in their public transport systems. Although, having said that, it is not all as bad as is often portrayed and many believe.

Yes I know - off topic again! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 17 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 17 2010, 12:04 PM) *
He said public transport, he didn't specify trains in his post. What does 99% actually mean in practical terms, within the context of trains?

To quote the National Rail Targets "Reliability is the number of scheduled trains
that actually run."

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 17 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 17 2010, 11:22 AM) *
Until our attitude towards public transport in this country changes from being a nation of "bus and train bashers" then the confidence and investment will always lack behind those counties who take more of a pride in their public transport systems. Although, having said that, it is not all as bad as is often portrayed and many believe.

So the rail system is as it is because people moan about it? I don't buy that for a second. The trains get bashed because we have a crap train system. Being a rail enthusiast obviously blinkers your judgement! wink.gif

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 17 2010, 11:26 AM) *
To quote the National Rail Targets "Reliability is the number of scheduled trains that actually run."

Rather than actually run on time (not withstanding if you can get a seat)?

If people moved from cars to trains, the system would freeze. I understand the rail system simply doesn't have the capacity for a large amount of car users to abandon their cars and take the train.

Oops, sorry, this is off topic! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 17 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 17 2010, 12:38 PM) *
So the rail system is as it is because people moan about it? I don't buy that for a second. The trains get bashed because we have a crap train system. Being a rail enthusiast obviously blinkers your judgement! wink.gif

No, the rail system is as it is because successive governments have failed to invest because the people that voted them in would find it unpopular because they have a unpopulist view of the railways.

Nothing to do with being a rail enthusiast - I appreciate the system has much too many flaws, but then so has the road system - just trying to provide a balanced view

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 17 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 17 2010, 12:38 PM) *
If people moved from cars to trains, the system would freeze. I understand the rail system simply doesn't have the capacity for a large amount of car users to abandon their cars and take the train.

Agreed, which is another reason why the government regularly attempts to price passengers off the railways and back into cars instead of investing in the infrastructure! sad.gif

(Still off topic ohmy.gif )

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:42 PM