Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BBC Seeks input on A34, BBC upcoming programme on A34
je suis Charlie
post Oct 26 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,530

My phone can detect when it's being carried so it doesn't switch off, how in god's name can you not design in a feature that detects when a phone is in a vehicle?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 26 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 26 2017, 11:44 AM) *
My phone can detect when it's being carried so it doesn't switch off, how in god's name can you not design in a feature that detects when a phone is in a vehicle?

Because it would infringe on those who believe they are exempt from such legislation , after all they may be making an important business call as opposed to some feckless yoof who is texting his mate .
Would be interesting to know the percentage of drivers who get caught ? Going on personal observation I would say it's pretty low .

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 26 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Of course it's low! Same as prosecution of people with faulty lights and antisocial behaviour behind the wheel is low. Because you never see police patroling now, all too busy getting nails painted, riding dodgem cars and jumping in cars Sweeny style to investigate carnival floats.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 26 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 26 2017, 12:15 PM) *
Of course it's low! Same as prosecution of people with faulty lights and antisocial behaviour behind the wheel is low. Because you never see police patroling now, all too busy getting nails painted, riding dodgem cars and jumping in cars Sweeny style to investigate carnival floats.

I believe it is known as prioritising . wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 26 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 26 2017, 11:44 AM) *

Because there is nothing wrong with using a phone in a vehicle.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 26 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 26 2017, 12:54 PM) *
Because there us nothing wrong in using a phone in a vehicle.

I will take issue with that statement . Anything that detracts the attention of the driver needs addressing . I don't even like my wife talking while I am at the wheel , ( or at any other time for that matter ) , so someone prattling into a plastic fag packet should be discouraged .

--------------------

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 26 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 26 2017, 12:54 PM) *
Because there us nothing wrong in using a phone in a vehicle.

Spoken like a true trollish buffoon.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 26 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Oct 26 2017, 01:23 PM) *
I will take issue with that statement . Anything that detracts the attention of the driver needs addressing . I don't even like my wife talking while I am at the wheel , ( or at any other time for that matter ) , so someone prattling into a plastic fag packet should be discouraged .

That might be the case, but, if one easily distracted, then one could also question the wisdom in providing that person a licence to drive. We might also consider whether we should have radios and taxi drivers being able to take calls while on the move.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 26 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 26 2017, 03:41 PM) *
That might be the case, but, if one easily distracted, then one could also question the wisdom in providing that person a licence to drive. We might also consider whether we should have radios and taxi drivers being able to take calls while on the move.

It's the law. But then as I recall you're not too hot on the law and driving are you.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 26 2017, 02:44 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 26 2017, 01:46 PM) *
Spoken like a true trollish buffoon.

You are completely correct; however, I was replying to a post that in my view was short sighted.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 26 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 26 2017, 03:43 PM) *
It's the law. But then as I recall you're not too hot on the law and driving are you.

I know there is a law that covers using or manipulating a device while driving, but there is nothing wrong with passengers using a phone; even the driver can if hands free and is not distracted.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 26 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 26 2017, 03:47 PM) *
I know there is a law that covers using or manipulating a device while driving, but there is nothing wrong with passengers using a phone; even the driver can if hands free and is not distracted.

Indeed. However, in the real world we have drivers quite merrily driving around with device in hand, surfing their Spotify account, looking at their profiles, using them as handheld nav device's, answering text messages and all manner of distractions. If, it can't be stopped by education it must be stopped using technology. If some people are inconvenienced it's a lot less convenient having your family wiped out.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 26 2017, 03:04 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 26 2017, 04:01 PM) *
Indeed. However, in the real world we have drivers quite merrily driving around with device in hand, surfing their Spotify account, looking at their profiles, using them as handheld nav device's, answering text messages and all manner of distractions. If, it can't be stopped by education it must be stopped using technology. If some people are inconvenienced it's a lot less convenient having your family wiped out.

The problem will soon be solved by technology: ‘driverless’ cars.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 26 2017, 03:13 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

DP

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 26 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 26 2017, 04:04 PM) *
The problem will soon be solved by technology: ‘driverless’ cars.

Wrong, in fact new guidelines have been issued by the government that places the onus on autonomous vehicle drivers to ensure that the responsibility for all safety aspects are theirs. Fully autonomous vehicles on British roads, all British roads are a very long way off. And a lot of the people doing this will not be driving even partially autonomous vehicles any time soon.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 26 2017, 03:24 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 26 2017, 04:19 PM) *
Wrong, in fact new guidelines have been issued by the government that places the onus on autonomous vehicle drivers to ensure that the responsibility for all safety aspects are theirs. Fully autonomous vehicles on British roads, all British roads are a very long way off. And a lot of the people doing this will not be driving even partially autonomous vehicles any time soon.

We’ll see; if this discussion survives in an archive somewhere to be reflected upon; meanwhile, voice recognition and hands free kits are now widely available.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 26 2017, 03:28 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 26 2017, 04:24 PM) *
We’ll see; if this discussion survives in an archive somewhere to be reflected upon; meanwhile, voice recognition and hands free kits are now widely available.

But people aren't using them, that's part of the problem. There must be an easy, cheap retro software fix for this. How many more people need to die before it's taken seriously?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 26 2017, 03:37 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Interestingly, I have read that talking to a passenger is nearly as dangerous as using a phone!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 26 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 26 2017, 04:37 PM) *
Interestingly, I have read that talking to a passenger is nearly as dangerous as using a phone!

Pedestrains with mobiles are just as bad. I saw a guy wearing headphones walkng and texting walk straight out into a main road the other day. A truck missed him by inches...crazy.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 26 2017, 04:52 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 26 2017, 04:52 PM) *
Pedestrains with mobiles are just as bad. I saw a guy wearing headphones walkng and texting walk straight out into a main road the other day. A truck missed him by inches...crazy.

Yes phone zombies are a pet ‘hate’ annoyance of mine!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:27 PM