IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '60% of HIV patients diagnosed annually are not British', Farage's big gaff?
Andy Capp
post Apr 4 2015, 08:39 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I think he was doing OK, but blew it on this, but at least the nation got to see what's underneath the facade?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 4 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Charley Brooker said
Not sure “Tough on AIDS victims” is going to be a popular campaign slogan

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 4 2015, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 4 2015, 09:39 AM) *
I think he was doing OK, but blew it on this, but at least the nation got to see what's underneath the facade?

Agree!

Trouble is who is there left to vote for? Politicians of all creeds seem to be like a bad taste in the mouth and you can't believe a word they say.
Dave's statement at the last election " We will no carry out a top down reorganisation of the NHS"
Nick's "We will do away with the tuition fees"

I fear that UKIP just may get in purely because people want to make a protest and agree with some of their policies but are unaware of just what they may end up with! unsure.gif

Who invented politicians? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Apr 4 2015, 11:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 4 2015, 11:53 AM) *
Agree! Trouble is who is there left to vote for? Politicians of all creeds seem to be like a bad taste in the mouth and you can't believe a word they say. Dave's statement at the last election " We will no carry out a top down reorganisation of the NHS" Nick's "We will do away with the tuition fees" I fear that UKIP just may get in purely because people want to make a protest and agree with some of their policies but are unaware of just what they may end up with! unsure.gif Who invented politicians? rolleyes.gif

And what will they end up with? UKIP are not going to win the general election so the best they can hope for is enough MPs to influence decisions; such as Europe etc. The simple choice is between a cartel (Labour/ Tory's/ Greens/ SNP) or UKIP having a strong influence where Europe is concerned. I suppose it all depends if you believe that Europe should have supreme control over us, or that we (the UK Government) decide our own destiny, our own laws etc.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Apr 4 2015, 11:22 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 4 2015, 09:39 AM) *

And what is the 'façade' where the other politicians are concerned? Pure honesty where butter wouldn't melt in their mouths? Angels?: ok, then we should vote for them.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 4 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Apr 4 2015, 12:20 PM) *
And what will they end up with? UKIP are not going to win the general election so the best they can hope for is enough MPs to influence decisions; such as Europe etc. The simple choice is between a cartel (Labour/ Tory's/ Greens/ SNP) or UKIP having a strong influence where Europe is concerned. I suppose it all depends if you believe that Europe should have supreme control over us, or that we (the UK Government) decide our own destiny, our own laws etc.
QUOTE (GMR @ Apr 4 2015, 12:22 PM) *
And what is the 'façade' where the other politicians are concerned? Pure honesty where butter wouldn't melt in their mouths? Angels?: ok, then we should vote for them.

Yes, we should be able to vote for British liars to make laws, not foreign ones! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Apr 4 2015, 01:13 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 4 2015, 01:29 PM) *
Yes, we should be able to vote for British liars to make laws, not foreign ones! tongue.gif

Exactly wink.gif

+Quote Post
gel
post Apr 4 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

NHS Abused:

Farage is spot on in highlighting Health Tourists treating us as a free International
Health Service- we are taken as an easy £touch£.

In reality it should be renamed as something other than the NHS, as Scotland & Wales run
their own, & has been well publicised how bad it is (for patients) in Wales.

So we really have the England Health Service, which because of its major travel hubs will get the
most abused by non taxpayers flying in.
The Service struggles in many areas to provide natives with the service,
let alone Mr Tourista.
Doubt many practices will offer any service today (Saturday) or Bank Holiday Monday, so A&E
will get deluged again.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 4 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Apr 4 2015, 02:41 PM) *
NHS Abused:

Farage is spot on in highlighting Health Tourists treating us as a free International
Health Service- we are taken as an easy £touch£

He also left the goal wide open for a great reply from Leanne Wood.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Apr 4 2015, 02:01 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 4 2015, 02:48 PM) *
He also left the goal wide open for a great reply from Leanne Wood.

One of the annoying things about that was that he wasn't allowed to elaborate and it just ended up as a sound bite (more so in he case of Leanne Wood). Most of what was said were sound bites and that didn't help anybody. However, I did think that Farage, Nicholas Sturgeon and even Leanne Wood did better than the main chiefs. And that seems to be supported in some quarters. A recent poll shows a slight rise by UKIP.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 4 2015, 04:56 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

I do wonder if, when the dust settles on the election and no party has a majority, whether Labour and Conservatives will realise that they are as close to each other in policy terms as to any other party and settle for a Lab/Con coalition.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 4 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 4 2015, 09:42 AM) *
Charley Brooker said: "Not sure “Tough on AIDS victims” is going to be a popular campaign slogan"

For readers of the Grauniad maybe not, but I suspect it will go down well with Kippers.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 4 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Apr 4 2015, 03:01 PM) *
One of the annoying things about that was that he wasn't allowed to elaborate and it just ended up as a sound bite (more so in he case of Leanne Wood). Most of what was said were sound bites and that didn't help anybody. However, I did think that Farage, Nicholas Sturgeon and even Leanne Wood did better than the main chiefs. And that seems to be supported in some quarters. A recent poll shows a slight rise by UKIP.

The debate makes little difference, except it made Cameron look insipid and Milliband the wrong choice as leader, not withstanding their incoherent policies.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 4 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 4 2015, 05:56 PM) *
I do wonder if, when the dust settles on the election and no party has a majority, whether Labour and Conservatives will realise that they are as close to each other in policy terms as to any other party and settle for a Lab/Con coalition.

That might not be such a bad idea as it sounds.

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 4 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 4 2015, 05:56 PM) *
That's called a Grand Coalition and does happen in some countries.

I don't think it'll happen as it'll signal the end of two party politics.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 4 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 4 2015, 07:55 PM) *
That's called a Grand Coalition and does happen in some countries.

I don't think it'll happen as it'll signal the end of two party politics.

We seem to have that already.

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 5 2015, 07:27 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

What I have noticed is how their agenda has shifted since the pound became "safe" from independence to the immigration issue. Now they have linked foreigners with disease.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 5 2015, 08:02 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 5 2015, 08:27 AM) *
What I have noticed is how their agenda has shifted since the pound became "safe" from independence to the immigration issue. Now they have linked foreigners with disease.

I think there is a debate to be had, but let's have the full story. There might be health tourism but the NHS is underpinned by cheap labour from abroad.

Quid pro quo?

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 5 2015, 08:23 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 4 2015, 09:34 PM) *
We seem to have that already.
Not if you believe the polls. According to most we'll have two parties on around 300 seats, with the third on less than 50 at the next election. A lot can change in five weeks though.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 5 2015, 09:08 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 5 2015, 09:23 AM) *
Not if you believe the polls. According to most we'll have two parties on around 300 seats, with the third on less than 50 at the next election. A lot can change in five weeks though.

But no apparent clear winner likely, so a reliance on other parties will be required. However, if you look at the share of the vote (seats don't properly represent voting), no party has more than about a third of the vote, meaning more people don't vote for the most popular party than those that do.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:45 AM