IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FOI request was “vexatious” say the Police, not just allotment holders then!
Andy Capp
post Mar 18 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

Thames Valley Police refuse to answer use of spying powers

“FOI was never designed to enable applicants to continue a campaign or determined pursuit of information when there are concerns over public authority activities, if these activities have been adjudged to be correct and appropriate.”

Police and Crime Commissioner for the Thames Valley Anthony Stansfeld said: “I am all for FOI requests but they have to be reasonable and not repetitive as it takes vast amounts of time to answer.”

The way I see it, if someone asks the same question, the answer is much easier to provide! huh.gif

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2015/thames-...f-spying-powers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 18 2015, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 18 2015, 06:24 PM) *

“FOI was never designed to enable applicants to continue a campaign or determined pursuit of information when there are concerns over public authority activities, if these activities have been adjudged to be correct and appropriate.”

Police and Crime Commissioner for the Thames Valley Anthony Stansfeld said: “I am all for FOI requests but they have to be reasonable and not repetitive as it takes vast amounts of time to answer.”

The way I see it, if someone asks the same question, the answer is much easier to provide! huh.gif

This vexatious contagion is obviously spreading further afield! rolleyes.gif

What is the point of a FOI Act if they can get away with this excuse?
As Andy states once an answer has been given they only need to include it on their website and they only then need refer any new requests to the website! blink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Mar 18 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 18 2015, 06:49 PM) *

As Andy states once an answer has been given they only need to include it on their website and they only then need refer any new requests to the website! blink.gif

So will the NWN be complaining to the Information Commissioner?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 18 2015, 09:08 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 18 2015, 06:49 PM) *

Precisely, unless we are not being told something, it is not for the Police to decide why we have a FOI act. The apparent reason is rubbish and shame on the police commissioner too.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 18 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Explaining the refusal, Jonathan Hands of Thames Valley Police told the Newbury Weekly News, “Disclosure of information relating to the police use of surveillance may also lead to damage to investigations, tactics, covert activity and operations.

If that's true, then why not rely on the Section 31 "law enforcement" exemption. The only answer I see is that it's not true, and if the Police are lying about their reasons for not disclosing information which they have a duty to disclose, then that's worrying.

On the facts that were reported the request is a legitimate request for information on a matter of local public interest by a professional journalist, and it's ridiculous to suggest that the request was made for the primary purpose of frustrating and harassing the police authority.

Um, yes, that is pretty much exactly what the FoIA was designed for. Open government keeps the state honest, and openness is only a problem if the state wants to hide the degree to which it is bent.

In what way exactly was this request not reasonable? And can a single request be repetitive?

Here's a piece on the pointless use of the FoI from the Independent, with requests for information on emergency measures in the event of a dragon attack, the number of animals frozen in Cambridge since March 2012, the number of times an authority had paid for exorcisms and psychic healers to perform services on people , and animals, the precautions and planning undertaken in the event of an asteroid crash, the number of people in Scarborough with a tiger or panther licence, and the number of roundabouts in the boundaries of Leicestershire County Council. But lookie - the news article was planted by the Local Government Association, and you really need to ask what's in it for the LGA to undermine support for FoI.

Like the LGA, Stansfeld also strings that line about the cost of complying with the duty of openness (£32M nationally according to the LGA) - Really? You think secrecy is actually a credible option in a free society?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Mar 18 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

It looks like Thames Valley Police are following the lead of the Met:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslad...n-press-gazette

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 18 2015, 11:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Yes, I think it is a rather sinister development with no apparent merit yet. Damned sure our merry band of Tories will fall into line about this. It'd be nice to see some comment from our local Lib Dems, but I shan't hold my breath.

+Quote Post
gel
post Mar 19 2015, 08:35 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

So if you get pulled over by TVP, and they ask for your details we could try declining, on basis it's a vexatious laugh.gif request

+Quote Post
CharlieF
post Mar 19 2015, 12:11 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,706

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 18 2015, 06:24 PM) *

This story says a lot about the rather shadowy Mr Stansfield, who didn't like it one little bit when his business interests were investigated using FOI amongst other non-sinister things like direct questions at hustings and Google searches. This amalgamation of blog posts by Jon Harvey is rather long, but quite telling if read to the end (some audio worth a listen too) as it sheds some considerable light on the tetchiness perceived in the galloping Major's response to the NWN's line of questioning. As Jonesy said, "they don't like it up 'em!"

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 19 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (gel @ Mar 19 2015, 08:35 AM) *
So if you get pulled over by TVP, and they ask for your details we could try declining, on basis it's a vexatious laugh.gif request

I may try that next time I am pulled for doing 85 in a 50.
Although I suspect with that attitude, I may end up with a fine rather than a warning.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Mar 19 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (CharlieF @ Mar 19 2015, 12:11 PM) *
This story says a lot about the rather shadowy Mr Stansfield, who didn't like it one little bit when his business interests were investigated using FOI amongst other non-sinister things like direct questions at hustings and Google searches. This amalgamation of blog posts by Jon Harvey is rather long, but quite telling if read to the end (some audio worth a listen too) as it sheds some considerable light on the tetchiness perceived in the galloping Major's response to the NWN's line of questioning. As Jonesy said, "they don't like it up 'em!"

Seem to remember Mr Benyon doesn't like FOI much either.

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Mar 19 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Here's the link.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2...rdbenyonmp.html

The bit that amused me was that he based his views on information supplied to him by our Council ( effectively a FOI!)

The bit that concerned me was that he was taken in by the 'burden' arguments without really considering the benefits in terms of transparency etc.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 20 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Lolly @ Mar 19 2015, 08:05 PM) *
Here's the link.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2...rdbenyonmp.html

The bit that amused me was that he based his views on information supplied to him by our Council ( effectively a FOI!)

The bit that concerned me was that he was taken in by the 'burden' arguments without really considering the benefits in terms of transparency etc.

Totally with you on this! What an amazing strap line, in effect 'it's a burden for us to tell the truth'.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 20 2015, 11:25 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 20 2015, 09:54 AM) *
Totally with you on this! What an amazing strap line, in effect 'it's a burden for us to tell the truth'.

...and to be open and accountable.

+Quote Post
gel
post Mar 20 2015, 12:10 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

TVP\DVLA error but motorist still has to stump up £150:

Such intransigence in this case does not help win Old Bill support from Jo Public-
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2015/police-...car-release-fee

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 20 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Mar 20 2015, 12:10 PM) *
TVP\DVLA error but motorist still has to stump up £150:

Such intransigence in this case does not help win Old Bill support from Jo Public-
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2015/police-...car-release-fee

I expect our Tory Police Commissioner will soon have it sorted.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:18 AM