Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WBC Failure Costs us again, Ticket Touts
Cognosco
post Feb 1 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,212

I see the failure of the WBC Legal Department has cost us more money again? £800
They were unable to recoup the cost of legal expenses due to failure to ensure the correct signage was displayed? Not Again! blink.gif

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/racing-...end-up-in-court

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 1 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

More silence too:

"In the light of the magistrates’ rulings, the Newbury Weekly News enquired of West Berkshire Council how much the operation had cost the taxpayer and whether any others had been successfully prosecuted as a result.

There has been no response.
"

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 1 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 1 2014, 06:44 PM) *
More silence too:

"In the light of the magistrates’ rulings, the Newbury Weekly News enquired of West Berkshire Council how much the operation had cost the taxpayer and whether any others had been successfully prosecuted as a result.

"

Our two local authorities only respond when they have something to boast about - perhaps that is why they have been keeping such low profiles lately? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 1 2014, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 1 2014, 06:44 PM) *
More silence too:

"

Very poor.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 2 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I think we can safely conclude that they have spent thousands on at least one prosecution and there have been no successful prosecutions.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 2 2014, 10:37 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 2 2014, 10:06 AM) *
I think we can safely conclude that they have spent thousands on at least one prosecution and there have been no successful prosecutions.

Then perhaps it's time for the WBC Legal Department to be reviewed regarding it's proficiency?
It seems to have problems regarding the legality and the necessity for proper signage in West Berkshire to enable prosecutions to be carried out and costs recouped.

There is also the same problem with illegal penalties being issued again with incorrect signage being involved.

I look forward to an explanation in the very near future? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Feb 2 2014, 11:32 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

Why was the council out in the first place? Do we have a major problem with touts around town? - I haven't noticed it.

Are the touts selling forged or stolen tickets? (not in the reported case anyway) but if so it is surely a Police matter.

Are the touts just upsetting the customers of WBC pals at the racecourse - if so let them contribute to the cost of dealing with it (they'll reap the rewards if they feel customers are being put off attending)

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 2 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Feb 2 2014, 11:32 AM) *
Why was the council out in the first place? Do we have a major problem with touts around town? - I haven't noticed it.

Are the touts selling forged or stolen tickets? (not in the reported case anyway) but if so it is surely a Police matter.

Are the touts just upsetting the customers of WBC pals at the racecourse - if so let them contribute to the cost of dealing with it (they'll reap the rewards if they feel customers are being put off attending)

The council are involved because ticket touting is covered by one of their bylaws as I understand it.
But the council has failed to put up notices stating this bylaw as a legally required necessity again as I understand it.

The crux of the problem is that it has now cost the ratepayers £800 of court costs which were unable to be awarded to them because there was no signage stating the bylaw.
Once again a complete lack of knowledge of law regarding what signage is required by their Legal Department or failure by another department to carry out their required signage requirements.
This is not the first time this has happened in Newbury is it?

I look forward to an explanation very shortly as to why this has occurred, I hope the NWN will be chasing for answers as the WBC response was zilch apparently, after the required investigation as to why there was a failure to recover court costs due to a failure at WBC again? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 2 2014, 04:20 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 1 2014, 06:05 PM) *
I see the failure of the WBC Legal Department has cost us more money again? £800
They were unable to recoup the cost of legal expenses due to failure to ensure the correct signage was displayed? Not Again! blink.gif

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/racing-...end-up-in-court

your fevered anti council POV makes you miss the point cognosco.

the two men should never have been brought to court in the first place.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 2 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 2 2014, 04:20 PM) *

Well the Magistrates seem not to agree with you do they? rolleyes.gif

My main issue is that WBC brought the case but the taxpayers end up paying the court fees instead of the miscreant! Simply because, again, it appears there were no signs posted to say, because of a bylaw, ticket touting is unlawful.
Now of course if pointing out that WBC are, to say the least a bit lacking in the Legal Department, in complying with current legislation is classed as being "fevered with anti council POV" then it may be a lot more beneficial, monetary wise, if others were to follow my example? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Feb 2 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 2 2014, 04:20 PM) *

I think his POV is anti-waste-of money it just happens that that means he is speaking against WBC.

A point you seem to share as you appear to have the view that the Legal/Court costs should not have been spent in this case!

As WBC staff will no doubt think, never mind it's only public money!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 2 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Feb 2 2014, 04:57 PM) *
I think his POV is anti-waste-of money it just happens that that means he is speaking against WBC.

A point you seem to share as you appear to have the view that the Legal/Court costs should not have been spent in this case!

As WBC staff will no doubt think, never mind it's only public money!

nah - money is wasted daily, he's only bringing it up as its in this instance WBC wasting it.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 2 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Surely it's up to the establishment, in this case the Racecourse, to display the correct signage?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 2 2014, 05:02 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 2 2014, 04:47 PM) *

My main issue is that WBC brought the case but the taxpayers end up paying the court fees instead of the miscreant! Simply because, again, it appears there were no signs posted to say, because of a bylaw, ticket touting is unlawful.
Now of course if pointing out that WBC are, to say the least a bit lacking in the Legal Department, in complying with current legislation is classed as being "fevered with anti council POV" then it may be a lot more beneficial, monetary wise, if others were to follow my example? rolleyes.gif

Magistrates are obliged to make judgement over cases set before them.

two blokes selling 2 tickets, at a loss, is not touting, signs or no signs.

the blokes should have been told the error of their ways & thats all.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 2 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 2 2014, 05:02 PM) *
two blokes selling 2 tickets, at a loss, is not touting, signs or no signs.

the blokes should have been told the error of their ways & thats all.

Agreed. Unauthorised ticket sales are only a commercial issue for the racecourse.

Touting as I define it is only a bother when the agencies purchase huge blocks of tickets ("Royal Albert Hall shows sold out in 90 seconds") just so they can re-sell at huge profit. But those are 'authorised'.....

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Feb 2 2014, 05:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 2 2014, 05:00 PM) *
Surely it's up to the establishment, in this case the Racecourse, to display the correct signage?

and also fund the policing if its on their land! But I suspect you are just trying to protect your employer again!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 2 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 2 2014, 04:47 PM) *

Now, if WBC did instal every single bit of correct signage, the cost of doing so would be something to really have a moan about....

A darn sight more than £800 too....

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 2 2014, 05:24 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 2 2014, 05:00 PM) *

Agreed.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 2 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 2 2014, 05:20 PM) *
Now, if WBC did instal every single bit of correct signage, the cost of doing so would be something to really have a moan about....

A darn sight more than £800 too....
Is it normal for a council to instal signage on private property?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 2 2014, 05:27 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Feb 2 2014, 05:18 PM) *
and also fund the policing if its on their land! But I suspect you are just trying to protect your employer again!

There use to be police officers at the racecourse. I expect that was cut out to reduce costs...... So the Council (probably at taxpayer expense) seem to have created a by-law to protect a commercial interest when it used to be done within a previous arrangement.... Or have I misunderstood?

The Racecourse were also prepared to fund traffic management for the area to protect residents from having cars parked all over the place.....

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:50 PM