> Uninsured drivers
Hugh Saskin
post Dec 31 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 37

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 31 2009, 08:00 PM) *
Much simpler to do it on line with a few clicks: the DVLA database knows about insurance and whether a test certificate is needed.

Sadly, that's also one of the reasons that Post Offices are closing - they are less and less relevant to daily life.

So it might be, but I prefer to deal with local (real) people and, I hope, help keep them in employment.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jan 3 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Dec 31 2009, 02:24 PM) *
If you actually read the s.143, you will see that it is the driver who must be insured. I repeat, there is no compulsion to insure a vehicle.

Advice please, Berkshire Lad - if what you say is true, and you seem very sure it is, what I am going to tell the clerk at the Post Office when they want to see my insurance documents when I come to tax my car later this month? Please help...

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 3 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jan 3 2010, 07:43 PM) *
Advice please, Berkshire Lad - if what you say is true, and you seem very sure it is, what I am going to tell the clerk at the Post Office when they want to see my insurance documents when I come to tax my car later this month? Please help...

Surely your documents have your name on as the main driver?

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jan 3 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 30 2009, 10:04 PM) *
It is an offence to drive a car, or allow others to drive it, without at least third party insurance whilst on the public highway (or public place Section 143(1)(a) RTA 1988 as amended 1991); however, no such legislation applies on private land.

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Dec 31 2009, 02:24 PM) *
Well somebody fell straight into the trap

If you actually read the s.143, you will see that it is the driver who must be insured. I repeat, there is no compulsion to insure a vehicle.

I can drive other vehicles not owned (or hired under HP) by me or otherwise insured on my insurance policy.

Try reading it properly....It doesn't say the car needs to be insured, but that you must be insured to drive one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jan 4 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ Jan 3 2010, 10:56 PM) *
Try reading it properly....It doesn't say the car needs to be insured, but that you must be insured to drive one.

Yes, and I've also read my insurance document, which is headed 'Motor Insurance - Certificate of Motor Insurance' with Item 1 reading 'Description of vehicle or registration number'. If there's no compulsion to insure a vehicle, why, I wonder, do millions of people apparently still do it?

Confused - and never mind the dot.com laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bartholomew
post Jan 4 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 261

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jan 4 2010, 11:21 AM) *
Yes, and I've also read my insurance document, which is headed 'Motor Insurance - Certificate of Motor Insurance' with Item 1 reading 'Description of vehicle or registration number'. If there's no compulsion to insure a vehicle, why, I wonder, do millions of people apparently still do it?

Confused - and never mind the dot.com laugh.gif

To drive on the road you need 3rd party insurance which is for the driver and provides cover if other parties are involved. The risk of the car type, age, condition and the driver is taken into account and a premium set accordingly.
Any additional insurance is to cover the costs of damage to your own vehicle. Because most insurance companies offer third part fire and theft or comprehensive insurance, the premium is based on the cost of fixing/replacing a specific car and the risk of the driver causing a claim.
I think that the reason the car is viewed as insured is because it is easier to enforce insurance on cars than people.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jan 4 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Jan 4 2010, 01:03 PM) *
To drive on the road you need 3rd party insurance which is for the driver and provides cover if other parties are involved. The risk of the car type, age, condition and the driver is taken into account and a premium set accordingly.
Any additional insurance is to cover the costs of damage to your own vehicle. Because most insurance companies offer third part fire and theft or comprehensive insurance, the premium is based on the cost of fixing/replacing a specific car and the risk of the driver causing a claim.
I think that the reason the car is viewed as insured is because it is easier to enforce insurance on cars than people.

Yes, I can appreciate that - but how does one get a tax disc without having a certificate of insurance which refers directly to the vehicle concerned?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 4 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I didn't think the insurance certificate needed to specify the vehicle - simply that the individual holding the insurance was covered to drive 'any vehicle not owned or hired' or whatever the formal words are. So in an accident, claims are made against the driver and not against the vehicle. The clerk checking the documents needs to ensure that the applicant has a valid test certificate for the vehicle and that they are covered by insurance to drive it

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 4 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

If we go to the post office to get the tax on one of our fleet cars we show the company insurance certificate which does not show any registrations on it.
But, if we tax on line, the dvla system checks that the vehicle appears on the MiD insurance database by registration number and vehicle details. i.e it is covered by our insurers.

So, no you don't but yes you do.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 5 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

If your car is specifically insured it will be on the database, which means you have the opportunity to tax online or over the phone. If it is not, you won't have that chance, you may be pulled over by the fuzz, and you will need to prove you have cover in other ways.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:57 PM