Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> First Great Western
Richard Garvie
post Aug 28 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

Can our MP please make a stand against FGW being given the new Great Western franchise. We have suffered long enough with poor services, mob handed revenue inspectors and overcrowded / dirty local trains. Enough is enough. Let's get a propoer operator in to run them properly. How about a social enterprise / co-operative railway, with all funds being reinvested???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Darren
post Aug 28 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Funny, I thought Labour were going to re-nationalise the railways if elected in 1997.

13 years later and it never happened. Bit late to start shouting now.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 28 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

As far as I can see Richard B is actually on the case - It was a sight worse before he started. Late running, last minute cancellations, dim timetabling and a culture of the operators blaming the track people. He's at least sorted that bit.

Sorting out the incompetent management arrangements will doubtless take much longer. Agree with the last post, there was a golden opportunity in Labours last term but Byers and Prescott bottled out! They had the opportunity to take back into public ownership the track management firms who were insolvent - so wouldn't have cost the tax payers anything.

Richard B is actually doing a good job on this one. What's letting him down is the Regulatory failure? Have we heard from them yet?

To sum up this week's NWN bit on overcrowding. FGW said they were just doing what the Regulator told then. The Regulator said they couldn't see a problem and there was no safety issue. Classic!!

We pay for these people who were put in place - lets get some value - they are doing nothing.to represent the customers whilst the market was developing. Here is a classic case where a quango could be quickly abolished, cause no ill effect and save a large sum of money.

A cooperative approach would be a very good idea - but we've lost the art of setting up and managing Coops. We could try again - anyone else up for that?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Aug 28 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Aug 28 2011, 11:58 AM) *
Can our MP please make a stand against FGW being given the new Great Western franchise. We have suffered long enough with poor services, mob handed revenue inspectors and overcrowded / dirty local trains. Enough is enough. Let's get a propoer operator in to run them properly. How about a social enterprise / co-operative railway, with all funds being reinvested???

Write to him and ask?
Who do you propose, bearing in mind your radical alternative is not up for discussion in the real world of today?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 28 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Co operative enterprise, sounds a bit like Red heaven to me.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 28 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Aug 28 2011, 07:16 PM) *
Co operative enterprise, sounds a bit like Red heaven to me.

What, John Lewis Red?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 29 2011, 07:22 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Aug 28 2011, 11:58 AM) *
mob handed revenue inspectors

Explain that observation please.
In my experience they are sadly lacking with many travelling for free at the expense of the hard hit fare payer.
If you have a valid ticket what's the problem?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 29 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 29 2011, 08:22 AM) *
Explain that observation please.
In my experience they are sadly lacking with many travelling for free at the expense of the hard hit fare payer.
If you have a valid ticket what's the problem?

There have been complaints (in the NWN) in the past about the behaviour of officious inspectors. I think they were treating people disrespectfully.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 29 2011, 09:46 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 29 2011, 09:56 AM) *
There have been complaints (in the NWN) in the past about the behaviour of officious inspectors. I think they were treating people disrespectfully.

They simply ask to see a valid ticket.
What is wrong with that?
I think it is the ones who do not like paying who complain!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 29 2011, 09:58 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 29 2011, 10:46 AM) *
They simply ask to see a valid ticket.
What is wrong with that?

If that is all they did, do you think that would have generated complaints in the NWN?

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Aug 29 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 29 2011, 10:58 AM) *
If that is all they did, do you think that would have generated complaints in the NWN?

I am no big fan of FGW, they have let me down a number of times on my journey - one time leaving me stranded at Reading late at night.

However, the vast majority of the staff I speak with are pleasant and courteous. The nasty and offensive behaviour I see on trains is from some of the passengers.

Rgds

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 29 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Vodabury @ Aug 29 2011, 11:43 AM) *
I am no big fan of FGW, they have let me down a number of times on my journey - one time leaving me stranded at Reading late at night.

However, the vast majority of the staff I speak with are pleasant and courteous. The nasty and offensive behaviour I see on trains comes from some of the passengers.

Rgds

I haver had the same experience, but the inspectors' behaviour referred to earlier, did generate complaints in the NWN some time ago.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 29 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

It really isn't about asking to see tickets - its the way they go about it. I witnessed this on two occasions. They didn't worry me - I'm rather too big - but the last time, an old lady started to cry. She was in a hurry - but did Mr Big make any concession? No. Unfortunately for him I had all the time in the world. We ended up on the 'phone to his boss! Who claimed to be a 'Customer' Services Manager! Won't change anything - but PLEASE complain immediately you see things like this happen. Manners cost nothing.

How should they do it properly? Conductors on trains for one - that would also cut the vandalism. They can do it in Scotland, they can do it down here!

Again - this is simply incompetent management and bad customer service.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 30 2011, 08:01 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I repeat.
If you have a valid ticket (and correct me if I'm wrong, surely this should be the case) then you will not have a problem.
I have NEVER had a problem with them.
They have politely asked to see my ticket and then said "OK fine" with a smile.
I would suggest that the complainants referred to did not have a valid ticket.
These people are there to protect the interests of the honest, fare paying traveller against those who think free travel is a god given right.
I agree with OTE that guards on trains is necessary as the lack of them does encourage the more dishonest of travellers to "give it a try".

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 30 2011, 08:22 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 30 2011, 09:01 AM) *
I repeat.
If you have a valid ticket (and correct me if I'm wrong, surely this should be the case) then you will not have a problem.
I have NEVER had a problem with them.
They have politely asked to see my ticket and then said "OK fine" with a smile.
I would suggest that the complainants referred to did not have a valid ticket.
These people are there to protect the interests of the honest, fare paying traveller against those who think free travel is a god given right.
I agree with OTE that guards on trains is necessary as the lack of them does encourage the more dishonest of travellers to "give it a try".

And I repeat, the complaints went beyond merely asking for tickets. It was the methods used. They were impolite. I would try and find the story, but trying to find stories on the Newbury News website is not easy. It is also not the case that every person without a valid ticket is so because they are deliberately trying to avoid paying. Mistakes are made.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 30 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 30 2011, 09:22 AM) *
And I repeat, the complaints went beyond merely asking for tickets. It was the methods used. They were impolite. I would try and find the story, but trying to find stories on the Newbury News website is not easy. It is also not the case that every person without a valid ticket is so because they are deliberately trying to avoid paying. Mistakes are made.

Exactly right Andy! Certainly in the round up I complained about they acted as if they'd been trained by the Soviets. They didn't find one offender either. Complete overkill and wholly unncessary. Imagine the outcry if the Police acted like that, or indeed if Tesco had a blitz at the door and checked that everyone had been through the cash out!

It just goes to show you what they actually think of their passengers - after all its only a small minority who are doing wrong. My view its about time these people were reigned in, they are acting like wheel clampers - but with people rather than cars.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 31 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 30 2011, 06:00 PM) *
Imagine the outcry if the Police acted like that, or indeed if Tesco had a blitz at the door and checked that everyone had been through the cash out!

What a ridiculous comment!
Of course everyone is checked at a supermarket when they pay at the checkout.
Try walking out of Tescos without paying for a loaf of bread and see what the security guard says!! (Followed by the police if you refuse to cooperate).
Most of the time that is exactly what people do on the Kennet Line because there are no ticket checks at stations or on trains after 12:00.
I cannot understand why you, as an honest, fare paying passenger, would object to checks to ensure that those who would not pay at your expense do not get away with it.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 31 2011, 08:12 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 31 2011, 09:09 AM) *
I cannot understand why you, as an honest, fare paying passenger, would object to checks to ensure that those who would not pay at your expense do not get away with it.

Let em try again. It was not the check that was the complaint, it was the manner they were checking that was complained of.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 31 2011, 08:15 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 31 2011, 09:12 AM) *
Let em try again. It was not the check that was the complaint, it was the manner they were checking that was complained of.

I know (again) and I repeat (because I am counter arguing the adverse comments about ticket checks) that I have never had a problem and nor will anyone else who has a valid ticket.
(Or who has got on at a station where it is not possible to buy and are willing to pay at the check).

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 31 2011, 09:45 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

admin - can you help find the story about people complaining of the FGW ticket inspections? I cannot clearly Remember what the complaint was, but I seem to remember it was by people who had valid tickets.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:33 PM