Andy Capp
post Jun 12 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 12 2012, 11:06 AM) *
OK I see your point.
I still think the volume of traffic to the tip warrants an exception due to the length and terrain of having to go to the Swan and back.
Anyway, back to the unsolvable (due to cost) problem of Thatcham crossing which was built back in the days of minimal road traffic and now has an issue due to the by-pass being built on the wrong side of Newbury.
The council can't afford a bridge
Network Rail are not interested because it doesn't affect them and there is no incentive for a private developer to contribute.
Yet another by-pass needed?
Told you so comes to mind. tongue.gif

I'm thinking of perhaps we should start to disrupt the rail service, for often it seems that it is the antiquated method of opening and losing the gates that is half the problem.

It seems a few miles is enough for a train doing 70 mph or more, but the same distance is need for a slow train leaving Newbury station, or whatever.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 12 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 12 2012, 12:57 PM) *
I'm thinking of perhaps we should start to disrupt the rail service,

That seems OK ................Oh, unless you happen to be a train traveller! wink.gif

It seems a few miles is enough for a train doing 70 mph or more, but the same distance is need for a slow train leaving Newbury station, or whatever.

Trains leaving Newbury, next stop Thatcham, take around 4-5 minutes to get past the gates from when they close.
Slow trains from Newbury stopping at the Racecourse do not get the gates lowered until they have left the Racecourse station - about the same length of time again.
I think the problem is that it is a busy line in peak hours (the same times as most want to travel by car) and the gates remain down until all approaching trains have passed. If there are several trains then the gates stay down and this is when people have the prolonged waits.
Solution??
Let's face it, at any level crossing (Thatcham is not unique) there is a conflict of traffic flow.
Someone is always going to get delayed. Safety dictates that trains get priority.
As I have said previously, who is going to fund a bridge?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jun 12 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

I'm thinking of perhaps we should start to disrupt the rail service,

Like ensure the trains run on time?

wink.gif

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jun 12 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jun 11 2012, 10:20 PM) *
Exactly, a bit of understanding of the mechanics of the motor car!!!
The mechanics are simple; it's the electrics that you need to worry about!

I drive a 2 litre automatic. On a wet morning, with the AC (or even just the heater fan) on; the HRW on: the wipers on and the headlights on,plus all the other electronic gubbins controlling the engine/gearbox, etc. then the alternator is just about coping with the load; there is very little spare capacity to re-charge the battery.

I can't be bothered to go into the math now, but it is fairly easy to work out the current load on the alternator.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 12 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 12 2012, 01:15 PM) *
I think the problem is that it is a busy line in peak hours (the same times as most want to travel by car) and the gates remain down until all approaching trains have passed. If there are several trains then the gates stay down and this is when people have the prolonged waits.
Solution??
Let's face it, at any level crossing (Thatcham is not unique) there is a conflict of traffic flow.
Someone is always going to get delayed. Safety dictates that trains get priority.
As I have said previously, who is going to fund a bridge?

Sometimes one is left waiting more than a couple of minutes for one or more train. I was kept waiting for about 12 minutes for one gravel train and one slow train once. The barriers could have comfortably gone up for about a minute and still been safe I think. I sometimes see the barriers go up then down with in a matter of 15 seconds, but even that can ease the wait for some.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jun 13 2012, 12:08 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jun 12 2012, 05:24 PM) *
The mechanics are simple; it's the electrics that you need to worry about!

I drive a 2 litre automatic. On a wet morning, with the AC (or even just the heater fan) on; the HRW on: the wipers on and the headlights on,plus all the other electronic gubbins controlling the engine/gearbox, etc. then the alternator is just about coping with the load; there is very little spare capacity to re-charge the battery.

I can't be bothered to go into the math now, but it is fairly easy to work out the current load on the alternator.

So you always drive with all that on? That would be the exception rather than the rule.
Besides, if you are at a standstill, switch it all off to preserve charge and reduce polution as best you can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rach E
post Jun 13 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 556

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jun 11 2012, 02:22 PM) *
I cannot understand why many drivers just sit in their cars with the engine running.
I have always switched off if I wait for more than a couple of minutes with no foreseeable movement.

Just the other day, I went into the Onestop in Avon Way. There was someone outside waiting for someone shopping. I was at least ten minutes being served (one assistant, many customers). On exit, the driver was still sat there chugging away. The shopper appeared just after I got into my car. A total waste of fuel/generating unnecessary polution.

Can you remember the colour and/or make of the car by any chance?#paranoia

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jun 13 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rach E @ Jun 13 2012, 05:29 PM) *
Can you remember the colour and/or make of the car by any chance?#paranoia

fraid not, I just looked at the driver as I walked past thinking what an idiot he was.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:19 AM