> Buses in the high street.
GMR
post Aug 8 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Buses in the high street.

We’ve curtailed cars going down Northbrook street at certain times of the day, isn’t it time we now stopped buses going down there as well? Because people now automatically walk on the road it is becoming very dangerous for them when buses come along. I’ve witnessed bus drivers getting very impatient with the pedestrians and I’ve seen a few pedestrians lose their cool with bus drivers; serious altercations have come about because of this.

When we had the battle of the bands in the high street a couple of weeks ago again another clash was on the sidelines. Between pedestrians/ spectators and buses. It is about time this madness stopped before a serious accident occurs?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 8 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

In short yes. It's a crazy situation. I also think taxi's, emergency vehicles (unless responding), cycles, and council vehicles should be banned too. On a side note, also umbrellas, they're a menace!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 8 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 8 2009, 11:53 PM) *
In short yes. It's a crazy situation. I also think taxi's, emergency vehicles (unless responding), cycles, and council vehicles should be banned too. On a side note, also umbrellas, they're a menace!

Sorry Strafin but I’ll have to stop you there; I am quite happy to go along with your rant... up to a point. But we have to stop at cyclists. I find them sweet natured, kind, handsome, cheerful, loving and highly intelligent people who only can enhance our high street; and of course I am also a cyclist laugh.gif . So what more do you want to show you are sooooooooooooooooooo wrong when it comes to the beautiful people on our roads? wink.gif

I am also available for parties, dog walking and the occasional after dinner hilarity's wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 9 2009, 06:28 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

Must say I've had some near misses myself, and seen dozens of potential near misses, caused by cyclists. Not you, GMR, I'm sure, but it seems to be thought clever by some to ride fast and furious along Northbrook St without any regard whatsover for pedestrians. Wasn't there a story in the NWN a while back about a little child who got zapped by one of these degenerates? Seem to recall the cyclist just kept going - anyone else remember it?

Never heard of anyone being hit by a bus but if we are going to ban buses, then I'm afraid there is a good case for doing the same for ALL traffic, excluding emergency services but including bicycles.

+Quote Post
Jamoza
post Aug 9 2009, 08:21 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

As far as i know, there is a new bus station included in the parkway plans at the end of the parkway development, so when that's finished they won't be going trough town anymore, only trough parkway. There will also be a new taxi rank.

This means that when parkway is complete, the rest of the town will go to sh**

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Aug 9 2009, 07:28 AM) *
Must say I've had some near misses myself, and seen dozens of potential near misses, caused by cyclists. Not you, GMR, I'm sure, but it seems to be thought clever by some to ride fast and furious along Northbrook St without any regard whatsover for pedestrians. Wasn't there a story in the NWN a while back about a little child who got zapped by one of these degenerates? Seem to recall the cyclist just kept going - anyone else remember it?

Never heard of anyone being hit by a bus but if we are going to ban buses, then I'm afraid there is a good case for doing the same for ALL traffic, excluding emergency services but including bicycles.

On a serious note; how would you ban cyclists? I think that would be very hard.

I’ve been hit by pedestrians whilst cycling.

As for buses; I’ve seen many a bus hit a pedestrian; not badly, but pushed them out of the way.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jamoza @ Aug 9 2009, 09:21 AM) *
As far as i know, there is a new bus station included in the parkway plans at the end of the parkway development, so when that's finished they won't be going trough town anymore, only trough parkway. There will also be a new taxi rank.

This means that when parkway is complete, the rest of the town will go to sh**

So... when they finish and have a bus service through Park Way we'll have something else to man about; good... it'll keep these boards well fed wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 9 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 8 2009, 11:53 PM) *
On a side note, also umbrellas, they're a menace!

What? Are you serious? Perhaps you've not noticed, but it rains occasionally. How else am I going to keep my hairdo intact?

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 11:03 AM) *
On a serious note; how would you ban cyclists?

Simple - very close bollards. Or replace them with portcullises. smile.gif (Boiling oil optional)

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 9 2009, 11:35 AM) *
Simple - very close bollards. Or replace them with portcullises. smile.gif (Boiling oil optional)

If that was possible - how would the pedestrians get through? - you could always lift your bike over wink.gif

+Quote Post
regor
post Aug 9 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

I think this may be a problem that other events will heal very soon.

Consider.
(1) the only people who can afford busses are over 60s with free passes. If these are withdrawn then there will be so few passengers they will not bother running the busses.

(2) Other main bus user - Vodaphone contract busses, but as Vodaphone shrinks through ressesion they will no longer need these busses.

(3) With no busses there will be no need for the new bus station so the price of the Parkway development will fall and we all get a rebate on the council tax which we can blow on taxis.

Oh - an a quick thought on cyclists.
Yesterday evening about 9.30, a narrow one way system on a blind bend controlled by temporary traffic lights. (Gas pipe work) Middle aged gent on bike with no lights sails past the traffic waiting at the red light and wobbles through the one way section against the flow of traffic. Crazy or what?

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Aug 9 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Technically speaking Northbrook Street is not totally pedestrianised , it is traffic controlled.
Normal traffic is allowed to use it during the hours laid out and indeed need to in order to replenish shops ,collect mail etc.
It has more to do with the stupidity of the great unwashed who amble up the centre of the road without a second thought to their safety that leads to problems.After all the shops are on either side ( that are still open for business ) , so why congregate in the middle ? Also the bus brings the paying customer into town , a virtue that one would think needs to be encouraged

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 9 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 9 2009, 01:29 PM) *
Also the bus brings the paying customer into town , a virtue that one would think needs to be encouraged

They can still do this - they just don't need to drive down N/B street to do it.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 9 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 9 2009, 01:29 PM) *
Technically speaking Northbrook Street is not totally pedestrianised , it is traffic controlled.
Normal traffic is allowed to use it during the hours laid out and indeed need to in order to replenish shops ,collect mail etc.
It has more to do with the stupidity of the great unwashed who amble up the centre of the road without a second thought to their safety that leads to problems.After all the shops are on either side ( that are still open for business ) , so why congregate in the middle ? Also the bus brings the paying customer into town , a virtue that one would think needs to be encouraged

Without going down to read the signs I can't be sure, but I thought it was a pedestrian zone between 10am and 6pm, but noone walks down the middle anyway for fear of getting run over. So they should ban everything between these times, including emergency vehicles (not responding), and cyclists, or let everyone use it and open it up again to alleviate some of the traffic on the A339.

+Quote Post
Jamoza
post Aug 9 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (regor @ Aug 9 2009, 11:38 AM) *
I think this may be a problem that other events will heal very soon.

Consider.
(1) the only people who can afford busses are over 60s with free passes. If these are withdrawn then there will be so few passengers they will not bother running the busses.

(2) Other main bus user - Vodaphone contract busses, but as Vodaphone shrinks through ressesion they will no longer need these busses.

(3) With no busses there will be no need for the new bus station so the price of the Parkway development will fall and we all get a rebate on the council tax which we can blow on taxis.

For your information I'm not over 60 & I'm not a Vodafone employee. & i use the buses, So don't go stereotyping people! Even though they are expensive usually full of over 60's, late sometimes it's a good service!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 9 2009, 06:28 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 11:03 AM) *
On a serious note; how would you ban cyclists? I think that would be very hard.

I’ve been hit by pedestrians whilst cycling.

As for buses; I’ve seen many a bus hit a pedestrian; not badly, but pushed them out of the way.

Come, come - GMR - no doubt you post as a neutral on the subject?

I expect a ban on cyclists would be enforced as in any other pedestrian area. Can't recall seeing too many chavs cycling through Festival Place in Basinstoke, either, as it happens

You've been hit by pedestrians whilst cycling? Could it be that your speed might have been a wee bit too high for the conditions attaining at the time? Shades of Jack the Lad speeding in his motor and then coming up with the same excuse. I've been hit by a cyclist on a a pelican crossing, remember them? - it left me with severe bruising for a few weeks and in those pre-compensation culture days, we just carried on after an apology. Seen many a bus hit a pedestrian? Wot, in Newbury? Tell us more GMG, no doubt it will be on Newbury Bus records (or perhaps in the NWN) somewhere - failure to report an incident like that would be taken so seriously as to put the drivers job at risk and no doubt the boyos in blue would also be interested?

Sorry, if buses are to be banned from Northbrook St, bikes must go as well, cyclists are not all as responsible as you are

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Aug 9 2009, 07:28 PM) *
Come, come - GMR - no doubt you post as a neutral on the subject?

I expect a ban on cyclists would be enforced as in any other pedestrian area. Can't recall seeing too many chavs cycling through Festival Place in Basinstoke, either, as it happens

You've been hit by pedestrians whilst cycling? Could it be that your speed might have been a wee bit too high for the conditions attaining at the time? Shades of Jack the Lad speeding in his motor and then coming up with the same excuse. I've been hit by a cyclist on a a pelican crossing, remember them? - it left me with severe bruising for a few weeks and in those pre-compensation culture days, we just carried on after an apology. Seen many a bus hit a pedestrian? Wot, in Newbury? Tell us more GMG, no doubt it will be on Newbury Bus records (or perhaps in the NWN) somewhere - failure to report an incident like that would be taken so seriously as to put the drivers job at risk and no doubt the boyos in blue would also be interested?

Sorry, if buses are to be banned from Northbrook St, bikes must go as well, cyclists are not all as responsible as you are

No... I was hit when pedestrians weren’t looking were they were going or had run out in front of me.

The Government initiative is to get more people on bikes, not less so they would never close off such a road to cyclists.

Of course I am neutral on the subject; I am also a pedestrian, car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist (I must add, and for safety sake – and in case there are any kids viewing this topic – not all at once wink.gif ). So I see it from every angle.

By the way; I hope GMG can tell you more... if not I’ll try to answer for him. OK, I’ll answer it.

Are you serious!!; pedestrians and bus drivers report everything little incident? I don’t think so. Also; buses are big and not every driver notices that they’ve hit a pedestrian... and unless the pedestrian remonstrates with the driver it is forgotten. I am not talking about major hits, but buses nudging people. Unless it is a major incident nobody reports anything...

Seeing as we are on the subject; as a member of Clay Hill association & the NAG committee I visited Newbury Bus manager with the Chairman and a police officer a few years back. The manager said that their drivers don’t report every single incident. Yes, I was surprised as well.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 9 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 07:57 PM) *
Are you serious!!; pedestrians and bus drivers report everything little incident? I don’t think so. Also; buses are big and not every driver notices that they’ve hit a pedestrian... and unless the pedestrian remonstrates with the driver it is forgotten. I am not talking about major hits, but buses nudging people. Unless it is a major incident nobody reports anything...

Not a bus passenger it seems, so how can you claim to see it from every angle, ?

Obviously the compensation culture has passed the pleasant and historic town of Newbury by, what a joke - you seriously think a pedestrian hit by a bus is going to pass up the chance of a few thou sovs compensation? I remember an incident when a bus in NE London hit a railway bridge. It was carrying 6 paxs but 15 alleged pax came forward to claim compensation. That's why bus drivers are told to report everything in case a claim comes along. If Norman Whatshisname doesn't know that, perhaps he should be in another job tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 9 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 07:57 PM) *
No... I was hit when pedestrians weren’t looking were they were going or had run out in front of me.

Surely you hit them then?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Aug 9 2009, 08:36 PM) *
Not a bus passenger it seems, so how can you claim to see it from every angle, ?

Obviously the compensation culture has passed the pleasant and historic town of Newbury by, what a joke - you seriously think a pedestrian hit by a bus is going to pass up the chance of a few thou sovs compensation? I remember an incident when a bus in NE London hit a railway bridge. It was carrying 6 paxs but 15 alleged pax came forward to claim compensation. That's why bus drivers are told to report everything in case a claim comes along. If Norman Whatshisname doesn't know that, perhaps he should be in another job tongue.gif

When I was at that meeting the police officer told the manager that they must report it. But to report it they had to spend THEIR time filling out such reports... they never do.

I used to be a bus passenger a few years ago; does that count? I stopped using the bus a few years ago when I found that other means of transport were cheaper. Also; buses are not reliable. My son was supposed to meet me before he went to work today - he lives in Thatcham and works in Newbury - but the bus never turned up. He said this is a common occurrence.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 9 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 09:09 PM) *
When I was at that meeting the police officer told the manager that they must report it. But to report it they had to spend THEIR time filling out such reports... they never do.

I used to be a bus passenger a few years ago; does that count? I stopped using the bus a few years ago when I found that other means of transport were cheaper. Also; buses are not reliable. My son was supposed to meet me before he went to work today - he lives in Thatcham and works in Newbury - but the bus never turned up. He said this is a common occurrence.

No, not really as the ones you would seek to disadantage most are bus users, so you definitely cannot claim to be seeing it from every angle. I use the buses regularly - at least once a week - and I find them reliable enough. Presume your son will complain bitterly to Newbury Bus, as I would do - and did about five years ago when I was stuck in Lambourn when a bus service was cancelled? Otherwise, if nobody complains, they think it is ok. Would be interesting to see what Newbury Bus have to say about cancelled services today, anyway

Can't believe that people in Newbury, or their bus drivers, aren't aware of the compensation culture or that not one of those pedestrians you say have been brushed by a bus hasn't even contacted the NWN with their story. All very odd....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:39 PM