> Do black lives matter?, Do they?
Mr Brown
post Jun 10 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,072

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 10 2020, 06:18 PM) *
You need to be deported for having views like that. Repent sir, for the sins of some ancestors you were not related to in any way. I take it you won't be on the March in Newbury and chucking Queen Victoria in the Kennet and Avon? Shame on you Sir.

Rent a gobs can generally only cope with one idea at a time, so does this mean the Environment is no longer an emergency ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 10 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

The 'Taking a knee' thing is particularly abhorrent... especially those people that do it for around 8 minutes when it was a knee from a police officer that kicked this whole thing off.

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Jun 10 2020, 11:45 AM) *
The slave traders were simply middlemen.

Odd isn't it, we never hear about those who actually rounded up and provided the slaves.

Wonder who they were.....
As for the 'white man bad, black man good, black man victim' agenda there's always been a glossing over of the massive part that various inter-tribal wars and rivalries had to play in the whole process. If it wasn't for the efforts of various black tribes and Kingdoms in rounding up their opponents and selling them to the slave traders there wouldn't be a BLM movement at all... Europeans entering the continent in search of slaves wouldn't have last a week before succumbing to malaria or some other disease. It's the sort of thing that should be met with embarrassed shuffling of feet and averting eyes when the subject of reparations is made against the nasty colonials as it was nations such as Nigeria, Senegal and Benin that benefited hugely from the trade.
When the Slave traders were african

Slavery was a standard part in the Circle of Life in Africa long before any white explorer set foot in the place. Slaves were taken as spoils of war and used for work, prostitution and sacrifice.

My daughter recently posted on her Facebook commenting about 'Educating herself about Black Lives Matter' and listening to a certain biased podcast. I suggested she educates herself and gets some balance... read about the Annual Customs of the Kingdom of Dahomey for instance. Dahomey (now Benin) held ceremonies to honour their King and it was normal for 500 (and up to around 4,000) slaves to be sacrificed by beheading

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 10 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jun 10 2020, 08:17 PM) *
The 'Taking a knee' thing is particularly abhorrent... especially those people that do it for around 8 minutes when it was a knee from a police officer that kicked this whole thing off.

As for the 'white man bad, black man good, black man victim' agenda there's always been a glossing over of the massive part that various inter-tribal wars and rivalries had to play in the whole process. If it wasn't for the efforts of various black tribes and Kingdoms in rounding up their opponents and selling them to the slave traders there wouldn't be a BLM movement at all... Europeans entering the continent in search of slaves wouldn't have last a week before succumbing to malaria or some other disease. It's the sort of thing that should be met with embarrassed shuffling of feet and averting eyes when the subject of reparations is made against the nasty colonials as it was nations such as Nigeria, Senegal and Benin that benefited hugely from the trade.
When the Slave traders were african

Slavery was a standard part in the Circle of Life in Africa long before any white explorer set foot in the place. Slaves were taken as spoils of war and used for work, prostitution and sacrifice.

My daughter recently posted on her Facebook commenting about 'Educating herself about Black Lives Matter' and listening to a certain biased podcast. I suggested she educates herself and gets some balance... read about the Annual Customs of the Kingdom of Dahomey for instance. Dahomey (now Benin) held ceremonies to honour their King and it was normal for 500 (and up to around 4,000) slaves to be sacrificed by beheading

If some good comes from this little debacle it will be that those who had not given much thought to the matter will take time to research the issue and become a little more enlightened.
The bigots at either end will not change but the more they are marginalised the quicker we get to the sort of society we all seek.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
newres
post Jun 11 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

The slavery thing's a bit of a red herring and side issue isn't it? I'm from Bristol and I think it's a shame that the Colston statue has distracted/hijacked the agenda. Slavery was obviously a bad thing and we shouldn't be paying homage to people who made a fortune out of it. Equally white people living now shouldn't feel guilty about it and shouldn't need either to say "well black people were involved in it too". If we stopped trying to claim pride for D Day when we weren't there, we might find it easier not to feel shame about slavery when we weren't there either.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jun 11 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (newres @ Jun 11 2020, 02:20 PM) *
The slavery thing's a bit of a red herring and side issue isn't it? I'm from Bristol and I think it's a shame that the Colston statue has distracted/hijacked the agenda. Slavery was obviously a bad thing and we shouldn't be paying homage to people who made a fortune out of it. Equally white people living now shouldn't feel guilty about it and shouldn't need either to say "well black people were involved in it too". If we stopped trying to claim pride for D Day when we weren't there, we might find it easier not to feel shame about slavery when we weren't there either. W

****, I sorry, but I actually agree with you. 100%. I must be coming down with something. 😷

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Jun 11 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

The slavery thing's a bit of a red herring and side issue isn't it? I'm from Bristol and I think it's a shame that the Colston statue has distracted/hijacked the agenda. Slavery was obviously a bad thing and we shouldn't be paying homage to people who made a fortune out of it. Equally white people living now shouldn't feel guilty about it and shouldn't need either to say "well black people were involved in it too". If we stopped trying to claim pride for D Day when we weren't there, we might find it easier not to feel shame about slavery when we weren't there either.

Can't disagree with that.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 11 2020, 03:37 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Has Newres had an epiphany? Or has someone hacked his account? He is making sense. Does not compute. Does not compute.😂

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 11 2020, 03:40 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 11 2020, 02:31 PM) *
****, I sorry, but I actually agree with you. 100%. I must be coming down with something. 😷

Is agreeing with Mr Newres a symptom of Corona Virus infection? laugh.gif laugh.gif Seriously though he was on the money with his comments and we need sensible comment from both ends of the political spectrum when our heritage, good, bad and downright obnoxious,comes under threat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jun 11 2020, 06:55 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 11 2020, 04:37 PM) *
Has Newres had an epiphany? Or has someone hacked his account? He is making sense. Does not compute. Does not compute.😂

hes bin hacked, by,

Dave, I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 12 2020, 07:34 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Blimey newres, a sensible straight thinking comment that I actually fully agree with!
Just when I thought all was gloom and doom there is a glimmer of hope!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 12 2020, 09:21 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

There is a statue of Edward 1 (Longshanks) in Bugh by Sands were he is pointing his "weapon" aggressively towards the north which I demand be removed as my great great grandfather once dated a girl from Inverness and therefore I appreciate how insensitive this is to our near neighbours.
Of course we expect that nasty Robert the Bruce effigy in Stirling to be torn down immediately.

This is only the start of a list that at the moment stands at 185 figures that represent some form of oppression. In fact if we bulldoze the country flat and start again it may go some way in silencing the loony left who obviously have mental health issues on a scale unprecedented and deserving of spending all our surplus revenue on making them feel better.

Or I could just emigrate to somewhere sensible.........Mars??? cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 12 2020, 09:31 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

https://youtu.be/s2MxEDXGC84

Nice to know someone else thinks like me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post Jun 12 2020, 03:33 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Guys, guys.... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jun 12 2020, 09:33 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Aren't the Scots lovely people,
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/if-th...in-dundee-park/

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 13 2020, 08:03 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 12 2020, 10:33 PM) *

Assuming they were Scots who posted it. This protest movement seems to be run by "outside" interest who are using the student demographic, who have nothing better to do, as media fodder.Remember how the old communist party used to orchestrate the violent protest in the '70s? Would not surprise me to learn somewhere down the line that Russia has a finger in this pie as an anarchic britain would suit their interest. I feel a concern for those genuine members of society who just happen to be black as they may suffer any backlash.
As has been said so many time a racist is a racist and all the legislation in the world will not change that but the vast majority, (in this country), see a human being not a particular colour and treat them as an equal. Only when that individual behaves in a way we find obnoxious do we become defensive to the point of retaliation.
It was hoped that the present incumbent in downing street would show leadership through these ongoing problems from brexit, coronavirus and now this racial madness but unfortunately he may try to be churchillian but it is nearer chamberlain. angry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Jun 13 2020, 01:54 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 13 2020, 09:03 AM) *
Assuming they were Scots who posted it. This protest movement seems to be run by "outside" interest who are using the student demographic, who have nothing better to do, as media fodder.Remember how the old communist party used to orchestrate the violent protest in the '70s? Would not surprise me to learn somewhere down the line that Russia has a finger in this pie as an anarchic britain would suit their interest. I feel a concern for those genuine members of society who just happen to be black as they may suffer any backlash.
As has been said so many time a racist is a racist and all the legislation in the world will not change that but the vast majority, (in this country), see a human being not a particular colour and treat them as an equal. Only when that individual behaves in a way we find obnoxious do we become defensive to the point of retaliation.
It was hoped that the present incumbent in downing street would show leadership through these ongoing problems from brexit, coronavirus and now this racial madness but unfortunately he may try to be churchillian but it is nearer chamberlain. angry.gif

Know exactly what you mean, but the reference to Chamberlain is truly ironic!

At the end of the day, he was a decent human, albeit somewhat cold. Without him, we wouldn't have been able to create the NHS. Date I say it, just like post 1944, the time for Churchill is past, we now need a Mrs Thatcher.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jun 13 2020, 03:12 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Thoroughly disgusting scenes in London today. Stop it!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 13 2020, 04:04 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Jun 13 2020, 02:54 PM) *
Know exactly what you mean, but the reference to Chamberlain is truly ironic!

At the end of the day, he was a decent human, albeit somewhat cold. Without him, we wouldn't have been able to create the NHS. Date I say it, just like post 1944, the time for Churchill is past, we now need a Mrs Thatcher.

Funny you should say that as I said to my wall only yesterday "come back thatcher all is forgiven" and coming from me that was quite a statement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 13 2020, 04:07 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 13 2020, 04:12 PM) *
Thoroughly disgusting scenes in London today. Stop it!

It was always going to happen and just shows that a thug is a thug whatever the colour of skin or political status. Why don't they use water cannons? And give the streets back to the public.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 13 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 13 2020, 05:07 PM) *
It was always going to happen and just shows that a thug is a thug whatever the colour of skin or political status. Why don't they use water cannons? And give the streets back to the public.

The issue is racism and today, not something our ancestors did 300 years ago. Once the narrative was lost and Churchill and the Cenotaph were graffiti ridden only one outcome was possible.

Attack the present. OK. Not something our forefathers that we likely have no relation to did hundreds of years ago.

The BLM movement dropped the ball. And a huge majority of the slient, quiet, voting, public (those that deliver Brexit and Conservative governments) were not happy. It's not racist to be proud of your Country. We have got things wrong. All countries have.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:06 PM