Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driving standards are in melt down
Sherlock
post Sep 1 2012, 06:25 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,467

Based experience over the past few months, but particularly on a drive including the A34 and M27 yesterday, driving standards are falling of a cliff. A good percentage of drivers on the A34 were travelling at over 80/90mph while tailgating, failing to signal when pulling out etc. etc. We saw no less than 3 crashes during the day, one a 5 car pile up with at least two the cars written off. I hope no one was seriously hurt.

I don't mind idiots driving badly if they only kill or maim themselves, obviously, although this is unfair on the emergency services and creates unnecessary costs for the NHS. It's their complete disregard for others' safety that's so offensive.

Clearly no penalties - including their own death/maiming - are going to stop these morons so we need another solution. Something like this, perhaps, http://www.comparethebox.com/black-box-insurance with insurance companies imposing punitive charges on anyone who breaks the limit. I really don't see why such systems shouldn't be compulsory once a drive has accumulated a few points.

I'm sure everyone here agrees with me so perhaps our local MP could take up the cause on our behalf. What possible argument could he put forward against it?

His government are making huge reductions in front-line policing, and road deaths and injuries are already rising, so how else are they going to ensure that standards don't deteriorate further causing yet more unnecessary suffering?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 1 2012, 07:10 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Road policing has been steadily reduced over the last few years because the public complain the police aren't "out catching real criminals".

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 1 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I don't think the driving standard on A34 was any different when the the police were 'out catching unreal criminals'.

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Sep 1 2012, 10:03 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

Driving standards aren't really getting any worse. There are just a lot more cars on the road than there used to be, therefore more bad drivers. Plus there are more hold ups and tailbacks than there were, so people get more short tempered and impatient and take risks they wouldn't have previously taken.

We all know the usual suspects. The fabled Lane Two Owners Club, which convenes its daily meetings on the nations motorways, blinkers on, eyes fixed on the two metres of tarmac in front of their car. Half the hold ups and slow moving traffic on the motorways is caused by those planks.

The uninsured, untaxed, unlicenced pikey in his clapped crapheap. The car is usually worth so little he just buys another one if the police catch him and crush it.

The many, many immigrants who have one licence which the whole family uses.

The mother and four kids who she spends more time keeping under control in the car than looking where she's going.

I don't usually agree with much that Clarkson utters, but he's right about the c*cks migrating to Audis from BMW's. If you encounter a tailgater on the motorway, it'll be Josh/Dan/Ed/Guy the Regional Manager in his A4, about 3 inches from your rear bumper at 80mph. Makes me want to tie him to a lamp post in his dreadful ill fitting Top Man suit and pour a gallon of unleaded over him, before asking if he knows why I'm about to fire up the Zippo. Am I over reacting to that one a bit?

There are many more examples of course. Such as the massive pr**k in a Ford Galaxy who cut across three lanes of roundabout to make the exit he'd missed, nearly taking the front off my car yesterday afternoon.

And if my neighbour in his chavved up Imprezza wakes me up at 7am on a Saturday morning again with his absurd drainpipe exhaust I'm going to empty a can of builders foam into it.

I feel better now.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 1 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Sep 1 2012, 11:03 AM) *
And if my neighbour in his chavved up Imprezza wakes me up at 7am on a Saturday morning again with his absurd drainpipe exhaust I'm going to empty a can of builders foam into it.

I think you must live near me!
(It's not me by the way but I hear it! (or something like it))

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 1 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

The mother and four kids who she spends more time keeping under control in the car than looking where she's going.

Brilliant post altogether, but I picked out the above. Years ago, I had to negotiate the périphérique around Paris, and had banned my family from talking while I concentrated on that nightmare. I can't remember how many lanes there are, but in one of the middle ones, a woman in front braked, stopped, turned around and slapped her dog which was misbehaving in the back seat.

That's something I will never forget smile.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 1 2012, 10:23 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Was coming from Sainsburys yesterday towards Police Station Roundabout when car in front of me went straight through red lights and into the stream of traffic coming round the roundabout.
If it hadn't been for the quick thinking / braking of the car that nearly hit them it would have been messy

Amazing. sad.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Sep 1 2012, 04:59 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Snip

I don't usually agree with much that Clarkson utters, but he's right about the c*cks migrating to Audis from BMW's. If you encounter a tailgater on the motorway, it'll be Josh/Dan/Ed/Guy the Regional Manager in his A4, about 3 inches from your rear bumper at 80mph. Makes me want to tie him to a lamp post in his dreadful ill fitting Top Man suit and pour a gallon of unleaded over him, before asking if he knows why I'm about to fire up the Zippo. Am I over reacting to that one a bit?

There are many more examples of course. Such as the massive pr**k in a Ford Galaxy who cut across three lanes of roundabout to make the exit he'd missed, nearly taking the front off my car yesterday afternoon.

I feel better now.

Whilst I fully agree with your main points, to pick out particular models of car is not at all rational. It just happens to be the lump of metal containing a moron. (you have three mentioned here alone).

To drive badly, is not bad driving alone, it displays a complete isolation from the society in which you belong. Only today, my wife and I got caught waiting for the train(s) at Thatcham station. We were opposite the football club entrance for about ten minutes in all. I switched off the engine whilst in front there were three cars with their brake lights on the whole time, wasting fuel. THAT'S a moron!!

Then, in Thacham, I was waiting for my wife for about fifteen minutes whilst she was in the Co-op. I was standing by the rear entrance. There was a car parked with the engine running the whole time. The driver had 'popped' into the shop, leaving a passenger in the car. THAT's a moron.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Sep 1 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

QUOTE (x2lls @ Sep 1 2012, 05:59 PM) *
Whilst I fully agree with your main points, to pick out particular models of car is not at all rational. It just happens to be the lump of metal containing a moron. (you have three mentioned here alone).

More tongue in cheek than irrational. Sorry if that was lost on you.

Audi drivers are a particularly irksome bunch though. Many of them are also golfers, which says a lot. And none of it complimentary. Especially the clothes. They are prone to wearing polo shirts with the collar turned up. The hallmark of a tw*t, as everybody knows.

And all Imprezza pilots own a Burberry baseball cap. They give them out at the dealers. And they have tribal tatoos around the upper arm. Also the hallmark of a tw*t.

Ford Galaxy drivers just know nothing about cars. Or driving. Or anything.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 1 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Unless it's a Volvo of course.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Sep 1 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

To drive badly, is not bad driving alone, it displays a complete isolation from the society in which you belong. Only today, my wife and I got caught waiting for the train(s) at Thatcham station. We were opposite the football club entrance for about ten minutes in all. I switched off the engine whilst in front there were three cars with their brake lights on the whole time, wasting fuel. THAT'S a moron!!

Then, in Thacham, I was waiting for my wife for about fifteen minutes whilst she was in the Co-op. I was standing by the rear entrance. There was a car parked with the engine running the whole time. The driver had 'popped' into the shop, leaving a passenger in the car. THAT's a moron.

I guess that I am one of those morons then; the engine is running to keep the climate control running in my case.

I pay for the fuel; I'll decide how it's used thank you.

Just to say, relative to the OP, that driving standards have fallen as the authorities have moved from proper road policing to policing by scamera.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Sep 1 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Sep 1 2012, 07:17 PM) *
I guess that I am one of those morons then; the engine is running to keep the climate control running in my case.

I pay for the fuel; I'll decide how it's used thank you.

Just to say, relative to the OP, that driving standards have fallen as the authorities have moved from proper road policing to policing by scamera.

Well, you made my point then. Thank you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Sep 1 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

I see the latest Audi advert claims their car makes 2000 decisions a second.

As cars have become much safer through design and technology, I wonder if the unintended consequence is that the driver mentally relinquishes some responsibility.

I seem to remember reading that when the wearing of seatbelts was made compulsory, vehicle-occupant injuries decreased but pedestrian injuries increased - as speeds and risk-taking increased as the driver and occupants felt safer.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Sep 1 2012, 07:29 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

How I see it;

Cars are driven by people and it's people who are idiots. Not a particular brand of car, it's unfair.

Black Box insurance is stupid. Driving within the speed limits does not make you safer. It also charges you up to £40 PER OCCURANCE (so can be daily) you drive between 11pm and 6am. If you brake sharply to avoid a pedestrian you incur points or whatever they call it which if you get so many you get screwed in the butt on price. if you are 17 and literally use your car to go to and from college then it's a good idea but when you are over 19 then forget about it!!!

Normally tailgaiting happens when people don't move out of the frickin' way. So if people used the correct lane 90% of the tailgaiting would stop by default

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Sep 1 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Sep 1 2012, 08:06 PM) *
I see the latest Audi advert claims their car makes 2000 decisions a second.

As cars have become much safer through design and technology, I wonder if the unintended consequence is that the driver mentally relinquishes some responsibility.

I seem to remember reading that when the wearing of seatbelts was made compulsory, vehicle-occupant injuries decreased but pedestrian injuries increased - as speeds and risk-taking increased as the driver and occupants felt safer.

The safest car would be the one with a big Shiny sharp metal spike in the middle of the steering wheel.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 1 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

That is very true!

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Sep 1 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Insurance companies cannot interview and individually profile each insured risk, so have to rely on statistical analysis in respect of claims. If that means a ban on driving between 11pm and 6am for most young/inexperienced drivers (if they wish to be insured) then that may become a fact of life.

We already have static ANPR enforcement, Sat Nav, GPS location for commercial vehicles and anti-theft systems such as Tracker. I do not see there being such a huge leap before it is common for cars to have video recording capability and black boxes – used for accident investigation and insurance purposes and...eventually, road-pricing.

Big Brother?

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Sep 1 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Sep 1 2012, 09:08 PM) *
Insurance companies cannot interview and individually profile each insured risk, so have to rely on statistical analysis in respect of claims. If that means a ban on driving between 11pm and 6am for most young/inexperienced drivers (if they wish to be insured) then that may become a fact of life.

It applies to everyone who has black box insurance.

When I was younger I managed to insure my cars even while living away from home by myself through a little something called work, and I wasn't on particularly big money then either.. Now at my age it's not to bad..
But you can't help but feel bad for the younger drivers... not all are terrible, most are actually a lot better than some of the more seasoned drivers because they are not "arrogant".. "I've been driving for years I'm the best".

I know someone I used to help out, they were 19, had a 2001 or 2002 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2Sxi - Cost them £2350 for a years insurance. The car was only worth £1750!!

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Sep 1 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Sep 1 2012, 09:18 PM) *
I know someone I used to help out, they were 19, had a 2001 or 2002 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2Sxi - Cost them £2350 for a years insurance. The car was only worth £1750!!

Well, all power to Jack Straw MP, whom I believe is trying to put a stop to the selling of details and the "accident management company scam" that is increasing the cost of all our policies.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Sep 1 2012, 09:28 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Sep 1 2012, 08:29 PM) *
How I see it;

1 Cars are driven by people and it's people who are idiots. Not a particular brand of car, it's unfair.
Black Box insurance is stupid. Driving within the speed limits does not make you safer. It also charges you up to £40 PER OCCURANCE (so can be daily) you drive between 11pm and 6am. If you brake sharply to avoid a pedestrian you incur points or whatever they call it which if you get so many you get screwed in the butt on price. if you are 17 and literally use your car to go to and from college then it's a good idea but when you are over 19 then forget about it!!!

2. Normally tailgaiting happens when people don't move out of the frickin' way. So if people used the correct lane 90% of the tailgaiting would stop by default

1 .Fully agree.
2. There is NEVER an excuse to tailgate. Period

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:14 AM