Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury RFC
Andy Capp
post Mar 29 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

As inevitable as it was, it is still disappointing that NRFC find themselves back where they were 15 years ago. I wonder what the future holds for them. I know a few 'hard core' actually miss the old days back near the retail park.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 29 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Sadly, once the taxman got a sniff of some <ahem> financial 'irregularities' a few years ago the writing was on the wall from that point onwards. Any money left in the pot after managers of previous seasons had pi$$ed the big sponsorship pot up against the wall had to be set aside for paying off the VAT bill, HMRC fines, spiralling energy costs (ridiculous amounts being charged by SSE to run floodlights...) and that left an ever decreasing amount to pay the players.... As the money for players dried up, club loyalty went out the window and many have drifted off (some 'drifted off' with unseemly haste. angry.gif )

The players this season deserve our (rugby supporters) full admiration. They are completely unpaid, they play for the love of the game and yet give up lots of time to travel to away games to get beaten up........

The beaten at the weekend by Old Albanians (132-0) was depressing, but given that only 16 players travelled to the game and everyone was playing out of position........ oh I give up. It's too sad...

Hopefully a return to the lower league will revitalise the club as we'll start to get games against PROPER local clubs and maybe get more local support (dream on....)

The Minis & Junior setup at the club is the envy of many clubs in the south though.. Now we're back to being a Community Club rather than a club chasing the professional dream up with the big boys maybe we'll start to inject some life back into the club. The Colts Under 19 team for instance is in the LAST FOUR IN THE COUNTRY in the National Colts Cup. In a few weeks time they'll be playing against Bedford Blues Academy players in the national cup semi-finals. There is plenty of rugby skill at the club.... it's just the finances that have dragged us down....

Maybe if the Sandleford Farm development gets the go ahead and the build starts up soon then the club will have a better future as there will be families, kids players who will be tempted to take up the game when there's good facilities nearby.... I hope the club can hang on that long............

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 29 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

It's a sorry tale, but I think the moral of the it is that Newbury isn't a sporting town given what also happened to two football clubs. I wonder if Reading FC doing so well since the mid-90's and Richmond and London Irish moving into the local area has anything to do with it?

I wonder what percentage of racegoers are from the local area?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 29 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

When I go to the races I do see a lot of local people, a hundred though I guess in a crowd of thousands isn't that many. However the racecourse doesn't need locals - it's got national support. The rugby club has Turin Machine.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 29 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 29 2011, 08:09 PM) *
Sadly, once the taxman got a sniff of some <ahem> financial 'irregularities' a few years ago the writing was on the wall from that point onwards. Any money left in the pot after managers of previous seasons had pi$$ed the big sponsorship pot up against the wall had to be set aside for paying off the VAT bill, HMRC fines, spiralling energy costs (ridiculous amounts being charged by SSE to run floodlights...) and that left an ever decreasing amount to pay the players.... As the money for players dried up, club loyalty went out the window and many have drifted off (some 'drifted off' with unseemly haste. angry.gif )

The players this season deserve our (rugby supporters) full admiration. They are completely unpaid, they play for the love of the game and yet give up lots of time to travel to away games to get beaten up........

The beaten at the weekend by Old Albanians (132-0) was depressing, but given that only 16 players travelled to the game and everyone was playing out of position........ oh I give up. It's too sad...

Hopefully a return to the lower league will revitalise the club as we'll start to get games against PROPER local clubs and maybe get more local support (dream on....)

The Minis & Junior setup at the club is the envy of many clubs in the south though.. Now we're back to being a Community Club rather than a club chasing the professional dream up with the big boys maybe we'll start to inject some life back into the club. The Colts Under 19 team for instance is in the LAST FOUR IN THE COUNTRY in the National Colts Cup. In a few weeks time they'll be playing against Bedford Blues Academy players in the national cup semi-finals. There is plenty of rugby skill at the club.... it's just the finances that have dragged us down....

Maybe if the Sandleford Farm development gets the go ahead and the build starts up soon then the club will have a better future as there will be families, kids players who will be tempted to take up the game when there's good facilities nearby.... I hope the club can hang on that long............

I believe some of the club land forms part of the development, so maybe that will bring in some funds?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 30 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

A snip here, a snip there, a doctors surgery here, a residential home there..... they just need to be careful that they leave some ground to play rugby on....

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 30 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

This is a good point. I understand that a problem the club owners had with the club house and function rooms were residential concerns with noise nuisance, thus reducing the ability for the club to realise the full potential from the function rooms. I suggest that the new developments will just exacerbate this.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 30 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 30 2011, 10:31 AM) *
This is a good point. I understand that a problem the club owners had with the club house and function rooms were residential concerns with noise nuisance, thus reducing the ability for the club to realise the full potential from the function rooms. I suggest that the new developments will just exacerbate this.

especially on Saturday afternoons.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 30 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 30 2011, 10:17 AM) *
especially on Saturday afternoons.

These things are always strange. Back in my hometown, the motor racing track has had it's number of events restricted because of complaints by residents in houses that were built nearby after the track had opened. Surely they knew about the track when they bought it? Same thing allies with the rugby club or anything else, if it was there first the residents should have no grounds to complain, providing it doesn't start holding raves and the like.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 30 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 30 2011, 12:54 PM) *
These things are always strange. Back in my hometown, the motor racing track has had it's number of events restricted because of complaints by residents in houses that were built nearby after the track had opened. Surely they knew about the track when they bought it? Same thing allies with the rugby club or anything else, if it was there first the residents should have no grounds to complain, providing it doesn't start holding raves and the like.

But the rugby club wasn't there first. In any case, this is about the club house and its inability to hold more lucrative functions.

It seems weird that the race course can spew out its drunks and noise but the rugby club were restricted.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 30 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 30 2011, 12:56 PM) *
It seems weird that the race course can spew out its drunks

An appropriate phrase judging by a couple of sights I witnessed on recently as I made my way to the racecourse golf club the other week when there was an event on..... Do all the food venues serve diced carrots with everything at the racecourse?

Nice.......

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 30 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Yes, but it's a better class of spew !

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Apr 8 2011, 06:59 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I see the rugby club maybe now be on the way to clearing some of thir debt if this care home gets built.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 8 2011, 07:30 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Apr 8 2011, 07:59 AM) *
I see the rugby club maybe now be on the way to clearing some of thir debt if this care home gets built.

You sound non-plussed.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Apr 8 2011, 08:55 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

When Sandleford goes ahead, the rugby site looks perfect spot for a new primary school, not another home for coffin-dodgers

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 8 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Maybe the residents could take over the Management of the club?

+Quote Post
Shabba
post Apr 10 2011, 09:28 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 784

QUOTE (Bofem @ Apr 8 2011, 09:55 AM) *
When Sandleford goes ahead, the rugby site looks perfect spot for a new primary school, not another home for coffin-dodgers

The home would be for adults of all ages, not just the elderly.
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=16410
Provision for those with chronic and severe mental health issues such as mental illness or acquired brain injury is limited in West Berkshire so anything that increases provision is surely a Good Thing (in principle at least) - and if NRFC benefits as well it sounds like a win/win to me.

And by the way, Sandleford won't happen for 5-15 years (if at all, if the Lib Dems have their way!).

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 10 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Shabba @ Apr 10 2011, 10:28 AM) *
And by the way, Sandleford won't happen for 5-15 years (if at all, if the Lib Dems have their way!).

It will happen eventually. The withdrawal of the regional targets might delay it, but ultimately WBC will be under pressure to build more houses and Sandleford will happen - whoever is in charge.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Apr 10 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 10 2011, 11:57 AM) *
It will happen eventually. The withdrawal of the regional targets might delay it, but ultimately WBC will be under pressure to build more houses and Sandleford will happen - whoever is in charge.

If certain people get their way it will. If Labour were in control of the council, there would not be 2,000 high density houses built there, I promise you that.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 10 2011, 03:37 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Apr 10 2011, 04:28 PM) *
If certain people get their way it will. If Labour were in control of the council, there would not be 2,000 high density houses built there, I promise you that.

Where would they be built, then?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:10 PM