IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What laws would you change or introduce.
Biker1
post Aug 18 2011, 08:14 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 17 2011, 06:02 PM) *
I would make all lanes of a motorway the same, so that you could stay in any lane and overtake or undertake so that traffic flow is maintained. It would take a bit of getting used too, but would ease a lot of congestion.

I thought that, driving on most motorways, we already had that law!! tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 18 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I think the rules on vehicle MOT's are somewhat outdated and a bit of a money spinner.
Suggest that up to 3 years no MOT required (as is now) 3 to 10 years old every 2 years and older than 10 years annually.
A minor thing I know in the grand scheme of things, but modern vehicles do age better than those of old when the MOT was introduced,

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 18 2011, 08:29 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Aug 17 2011, 06:45 PM) *
Ah, yes. another 'report' from MigrationWatch what can you say?

"MigrationWatch has received criticism in some sections of the media and from academics,....... An August 2002 editorial about MigrationWatch in The Independent carried the title "A nasty little group playing an old, and unwelcome, trick" and stated that "Migration Watch is, of course, no think tank, but a pressure group with a distinctly unpleasant agenda". It has been argued that MigrationWatch's messages "can be taken advantage of by people with Islamophobia and prejudice". The accuracy of the group's research has also been questioned. Academic Richard De Zoysa, for instance, argues that MigrationWatch's predictions of future immigration are exaggerated, while David Robinson, Professor of Housing and Public Policy at Sheffield Hallam University, argues that the group's assertion that immigrants are placing strain on social housing lacks evidence. Economist Philippe Legrain has argued that "MigrationWatch's xenophobic prejudice is causing it to twist the truth" about the impact of immigration on the employment prospects of British people."

But, if it suits your purpose...

Phlippe Legrian.... Author of Immigrants: Your Country Needs Them

http://twitter.com/#!/PLegrain

Interesting views... He does not like Tories much.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 18 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

Laws I would introduce:

Set up levels of minimum income:

Set up levels of minimum income. Each person has to contribute toward this leve no less that 60 percent. If you can't find a job, one will be given to you. If you don't like that job and fail to do it, you lose all your subsidies/benefits.

Benefits: only benefits for those who are here legally, no execeptions. If you are an asylum seeker, you must work at least 2 years before you get any state benefits. As a condition for me to get my leave to remain visa, I could not get any state benefits at all for 12 months, or I would not get my visa

Immigration: Swift hearings for asylum seekers. If you are convicted of a crime while awaiting either your hearing for asylum or illegal immigration status, your are removed from the UK, no exceptions. Also, if you are not an native english speaker, you must take and pass an english exam 12 months after arriving in the UK. This way if you are successful in staying you have an understanding of the language and can assimulate into the community.

National service: Create a national service organization which not only will put people into the military, but can be used for cleaning parks, streets, reclaiming derlict housing and other community care programs.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 18 2011, 12:14 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I'd like to abolish all of them and start again. With today's technology we could make the classic Greek system work. Just imagine an on line forum for real!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon
post Aug 18 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

Introduce a one year full pay maternity package for all first time mums if they have been employed for more than 2 years

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 18 2011, 02:30 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Simon @ Aug 18 2011, 01:31 PM) *
Introduce a one year full pay maternity package for all first time mums if they have been employed for more than 2 years

Seriously? The tax payer should fund those that decide to stay at home? (Which used to be the norm in any case.)

+Quote Post
Simon
post Aug 18 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 18 2011, 03:30 PM) *
Seriously? The tax payer should fund those that decide to stay at home? (Which used to be the norm in any case.)

Why not? The mother would have been paying her fair share in tax, and chances are the father would have been too

I think we should be promoting mums to stay home with their children, especially the first

As a working couple, myself and my wife do not qualify for any any help from the government at all and are about to lose a large chunk of my wifes wages and like all the other working parents, this is going to put financial pressure on us, My wife and I have been paying taxes for around 16 years now and it would be nice to have something back.

There seems to be no rewards for the hard working people of this country, just taxes and taxes and taxes

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 18 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Aug 18 2011, 10:33 AM) *
Also, if you are not an native english speaker, you must take and pass an english exam 12 months after arriving in the UK. This way if you are successful in staying you have an understanding of the language and can assimulate into the community.

You're aware that English isn't the only national language of the UK, right?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 18 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 18 2011, 04:17 PM) *

It is the only official language though.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Aug 18 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

English is the language of education, business and government in the UK. My wife (whom I met whilst working overseas) had to pass an English exam before getting entry clearance for the UK, and I totally agree with the policy of requiring immigrants to speak and read/write English if they wish to settle here.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 18 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 18 2011, 04:54 PM) *
It is the only official language though.

Actually the UK doesn't have an official language.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 18 2011, 04:03 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Yes it does, it's English.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 18 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Yes, but what is the official language? When you step outside your door and go to the post office, what should be the langauge? Or in shops?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 18 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Vodabury @ Aug 18 2011, 04:56 PM) *
English is the language of education, business and government in the UK. My wife (whom I met whilst working overseas) had to pass an English exam before getting entry clearance for the UK, and I totally agree with the policy of requiring immigrants to speak and read/write English if they wish to settle here.

No, it isn't. Welsh and Scottish Gaelic are the first languages in parts of the UK.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 18 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

They are "recognised" languages...

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 18 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Those would be recognised regional languages. English is the only official language of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I know Wikipedia isn't the be all and end all but it's all detailed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_kingdom

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 18 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 18 2011, 05:03 PM) *
Yes it does, it's English.

It is the de facto language of government and commerce in large parts of the UK, but so too are welsh and scottish gaelic in some areas, and the UK has no de jure official language as is the case in many other countries.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 18 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

English is the de facto language in the U.S., but if you don't speak it, you won't get very far in terms of jobs and services.

Sure, there are some cases where you get street name signs in chinese or spanish, and may even take a drivers test in different languages, but you need to read the road signs while driving.

When you move to a new country, isn't the polite thing to do is assimilate by learning the language and culture. Should you not try to work to better the society you are now in?

Surely the first step is to learn the language.

And you wonder why people do get along, they can't communicate with each other.

I lived in Italy for a couple of years. I could of went where the other American's partied and hung out. I could of spent 8 hours riding a bus every friday to shop for American foods. I wanted to experience and live like the people where I lived.

I learned Italian. I shopped at a market where everything was fresh. I hung out where no other Americans went and made some great friends :-) For those two years I did everything I could to live like and Italian. I had a great time.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 18 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Either way the same point as I made before still applies - it was a question about what laws would people like to introduce themselves, so it doesn't matter.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:42 PM