> Stabbing incident in Thatcham last night
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 14 2009, 12:19 PM) *
Well said Andrea. You obviously see what is happening around you.

It is a pity more people didn't.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 14 2009, 11:56 AM) *
Thanks for the support. You make a good point.
I'm glad there are others who are willing to face the reality of how this country is steadily becoming more violent and not have their head in the sand.
There must not be "no-go" areas in Britain and if you are caught carrying a knife, you get 5 years. End of!!!!

Blair came into power with the slogan “tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime” and did nothing. In fact crime has increased under his watch.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 14 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 14 2009, 12:30 PM) *
Blair came into power with the slogan “tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime” and did nothing. In fact crime has increased under his watch.

I think we've covered this before, but I still think society was heading this way regardless of who was in power. I still say the Tories in the late 70's and up to the mid 90's also have a lot to answer for.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 14 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 14 2009, 12:30 PM) *

Where do you get the facts from, where are your stats?

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 14 2009, 01:28 PM) *
I think we've covered this before, but I still think society was heading this way regardless of who was in power. I still say the Tories in the late 70's and up to the mid 90's also have a lot to answer for.

I don't think you go back far enough. I'd say at least the 60s, after all it was 60s families that bred the late 70/80s families and so on. This is a collective problem, not just a government, or the police, etc...

The fact is, gaols don't stop crime, nor does capital punishment. The fact we hung people and gaoled people means it don't work. By the time they are young adults it is too late. We need to get involved much sooner than that.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 14 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

I'm afraid you cannot blame the Tories for the ills of Society. That does not wash anymore Bill1. And I'm not a Tory. We have an unelected Prime Minister, a mostly unelected Cabinet, massive National debt etc etc etc. In fact thinking about it at least Iran got to have a vote about who they wanted to lead the Country.........

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 14 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 14 2009, 01:47 PM) *

I don't think you go back far enough. I'd say at least the 60s, after all it was 60s families that bred the late 70/80s families and so on. This is a collective problem, not just a government, or the police, etc...

The fact is, gaols don't stop crime, nor does capital punishment. The fact we hung people and gaoled people means it don't work. By the time they are young adults it is too late. We need to get involved much sooner than that.

You can make stats tell any story you like but how about these:
Home office figures, 18%rise in drug related crime and a 22%risk of being a victim of crime.
Met Police figure, Rape up by 18%

Your right there has been a steady decline in standards since the 50s. I don't see that as being a reason not to do anything about it now.

I think you are wrong on your last point. It's because we got rid of Capital punishment and allowed shorter prison sentences with more consessions to comfort in prison is why Criminals are not detered.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 14 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 14 2009, 02:06 PM) *
You can make stats tell any story you like but how about these: Home office figures, 18%rise in drug related crime and a 22%risk of being a victim of crime. Met Police figure, Rape up by 18%

What year is that compared to. I'd be more convinced if someone were to show a trend over decades, then they might have a point.

While there is always a first time, I have lived in Newbury area all my life and I have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours in Newbury town. Since the early 80s and in all that, I have never seen a knifing, I have been in a pub when it happened once, but I never saw it. I have seen some fights, usually drunken scraps. The most predictably violet this town gets is when drunken racegoers start.

I have seen a mercifully low rate of violet crime in this town and this is despite being a regular pub goer.

What I have seen a rise in is drunken girls, staggering around the market place at night and I have seen a massive rise in drug usage, but this started to happen way back in 70s.

Another thing I hear a lot about now is inter town aggro. I hear a lot about 'the Reading lot' coming to cause mischief in Newbury.

Forgive me though, nothing I have heard is new, I heard of armed robberies, pub brawls and knifings from since the 70s. The way people carry on suggests they think it is something new.

Your right there has been a steady decline in standards since the 50s. I don't see that as being a reason not to do anything about it now.

Show me where I suggested we do nothing? My thoughts are we need to understand why it is happe8ing before we can make things better.

I think you are wrong on your last point. It's because we got rid of Capital punishment and allowed shorter prison sentences with more consessions to comfort in prison is why Criminals are not detered.

I don't agree with your view on capitol punishment, but I do with your concessions point. Some sentencing is way too soft, but don't think for a second it will 'cure' the problem, it is essentially a sticking plaster. I'm more interested in a cure.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 14 2009, 01:47 PM) *

I get my facts from reading papers such as the Economist, Times, Guardian and watching programmes like the news, news night etc. However, let me throw the question back at you and ask what have you got that contradicts what I said?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 14 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

I don't agree with your view on capitol punishment, but I do with your concessions point. Some sentencing is way too soft, but don't think for a second it will 'cure' the problem, it is essentially a sticking plaster. I'm more interested in a cure.
[/quote]

You cannot cure some people. They are scum of the earth. End of.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Yes I have covered this before but not everybody reads all the threads.

You can't blame the Tories for everything; Labour have been in power for 10 years and could have easily sorted things out by now if they wanted to.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 14 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 14 2009, 02:22 PM) *
What year is that compared to. I'd be more convinced if someone were to show a trend over decades, then they might have a point.

While there is always a first time, I have lived in Newbury area all my life and I have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours in Newbury town. Since the early 80s and in all that, I have never seen a knifing, I have been in a pub when it happened once, but I never saw it. I have seen some fights, usually drunken scraps. The most predictably violet this town gets is when drunken racegoers start.

I have seen a mercifully low rate of violet crime in this town and this is despite being a regular pub goer.

What I have seen a rise in is drunken girls, staggering around the market place at night and I have seen a massive rise in drug usage, but this started to happen way back in 70s.

Another thing I hear a lot about now is inter town aggro. I hear a lot about 'the Reading lot' coming to cause mischief in Newbury.

Forgive me though, nothing I have heard is new, I heard of armed robberies, pub brawls and knifings from since the 70s. The way people carry on suggests they think it is something new.

Show me where I suggested we do nothing? My thoughts are we need to understand why it is happe8ing before we can make things better.

Iommi, the figures are a comparison between 2008/2009 but actually the Home office overall figures across the Country show crime to be down 9%. But as I said who's figures do you believe as they can be interpreted in many ways.
You make some interesting points that I appreciate however I think we should agree to disagree as I am more sceptical about the future.
I think the Thatcham event is a wake-up call in my mind and I think it will be the beginning of a new trend in Newbury.
I hope i'm wrong.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 14 2009, 02:37 PM) *
Iommi, the figures are a comparison between 2008/2009 but actually the Home office overall figures across the Country show crime to be down 9%. But as I said who's figures do you believe as they can be interpreted in many ways.
You make some interesting points that I appreciate however I think we should agree to disagree as I am more sceptical about the future.
I think the Thatcham event is a wake-up call in my mind and I think it will be the beginning of a new trend in Newbury.
I hope i'm wrong.

Actually the crime figures are wrong because another report last year showed that people have stopped reporting crimes because the don't expect anything to be done about it.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 14 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 14 2009, 02:40 PM) *
Actually the crime figures are wrong because another report last year showed that people have stopped reporting crimes because the don't expect anything to be done about it.

Yes, you are absoloutly correct. This is now a recognised factor in crime reporting and should be considered when discussing numbers.
Doesn't reflect well on the Police and it's detection success rate.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 14 2009, 02:55 PM) *
Yes, you are absoloutly correct. This is now a recognised factor in crime reporting and should be considered when discussing numbers.
Doesn't reflect well on the Police and it's detection success rate.

The amount of times I've called the police and nothing has happened; I give up.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 14 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 14 2009, 02:40 PM) *

This lies at the thin edge of why we must all do our bit. Report it, even if it is futile, but I suspect that what you are referring to is a reluctance to report low level crime. The point I was trying to make all that time ago is, it is in the media's interest to 'sex-up' crime. Just as it is in the Police's and Government's interest to play it down. For me, I go by what I see.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:25 AM