IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fighting at Newbury Carnival, Trouble after the carnival.
Iommi
post Jul 7 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 7 2009, 05:11 PM) *
England has the HIGHEST rate of violent crime now in the World.
We are above South Africa and Columbia. At least we come first in something....... ohmy.gif

I don't think this is true, or at very least, it is misleading, but I am not saying we haven't a problem.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 7 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I've lived on Turnpike for over 30 years - brought my family up here - and it is the worst I've seen it in all that time. Police unable to do anything, or won't do anything and youths damaging property all the time.

Vandals damaged the light post outside the community centre; when i asked the police what they are doing about it they said they knew who did it but they have no proof. Well, if they knew who did it how come they've got no proof? Isn't that an oxymoron?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 7 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 7 2009, 05:11 PM) *
England has the HIGHEST rate of violent crime now in the World.
We are above South Africa and Columbia.

At least we come first in something....... ohmy.gif

Can you state your sources, please? If true, I don't think I want to leave the house much again

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 7 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 7 2009, 07:54 PM) *
Can you state your sources, please? If true, I don't think I want to leave the house much again

Bare in mind the source.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...Africa-U-S.html

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 7 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 7 2009, 08:40 PM) *

Thanks, I always believe everything printed in the Daily Mail rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 7 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 7 2009, 08:44 PM) *
Thanks, I always believe everything printed in the Daily Mail rolleyes.gif

if it is in the mail it has got to be true... they would never lie to us wink.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 8 2009, 07:45 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Actually this was my source....

http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthAfrica/...rime_in_Britain

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 8 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 7 2009, 08:40 PM) *

I get your point but would you rather believe the Governments figures then?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 8 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 8 2009, 08:45 AM) *

I can believe that. The police don't seem to be able to do anything and the ordinary citizens seem to suffer.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 8 2009, 09:23 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 8 2009, 09:43 AM) *
I get your point but would you rather believe the Governments figures then?

i wouldn't believe the government as they have been known to massage the figures. I would rather trust the Mail or some other tabloid paper than I would the government.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 8 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 7 2009, 05:24 PM) *
I don't think this is true, or at very least, it is misleading, but I am not saying we haven't a problem.

I disagree. I think it likely that it is true.
Too many people have their head in the sand and are not seeing the social breakdown that is very slowly happening in this country.
There are lots of figures published that point to a decline in social standards and icreased crime levels.
How about the reported 1000 criminals, murders and rapists allowed out on bail and disappearing and the goverment does not know where they are or how to get them back in prison. What a mess!!!!

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 8 2009, 09:37 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 8 2009, 10:23 AM) *
i wouldn't believe the government as they have been known to massage the figures. I would rather trust the Mail or some other tabloid paper than I would the government.

Wow! I wouldn't have thought anyone could have such a low opinion of the government! blink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_noobree_*
post Jul 8 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #33

Guests

The thousands of South Africans who've moved to West Berks over the past few years must be feeling rather sick about all this. Or perhaps there's another agenda here? Flicking quickly through the pages at http://www.news24.com there appear to be quite a few stories which emphasise how bad things are overseas in comparison with the Shangri La that is South Africa. Could it be, perhaps, that they want to dissuade more rats from leaving the sinking ship?

Particularly with the replacement of the appalling (AIDS denier and general fantacist) Mbeki with the utterly dire (rapist, deeply corrupt) Zuma more and more whites will be planning to scarper.

Incidentally, isn't it typical of forums like this that they descend into negativity at the slightest provocation. Thousands of people had a great time on Sunday but you lot pick up on a single incident and spiral into a pit of despond. Good job Newbury Weekly News.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 8 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Extract from the News24 article..

'In turn, Dean from Cape Town wrote that the news about Britain's crime levels didn’t surprise him in the least, and that it was precisely for that reason that he moved to South Africa.

"I feel much safer walking down the streets of South Africa. Most of the crime that happens here is in Johannesburg."

People are moving to South Africa to get away from violent crime in Britain????? ohmy.gif Enough said.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 8 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 8 2009, 10:37 AM) *
Wow! I wouldn't have thought anyone could have such a low opinion of the government! blink.gif

Are you kidding, have you forgotten about how our "honourable members" have been ripping us off with fraudulant expenses claims?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 8 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 8 2009, 10:44 AM) *
Are you kidding, have you forgotten about how our "honourable members" have been ripping us off with fraudulant expenses claims?

Bloggo, does the word "irony" mean anything to you? It was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the comment that he would trust the Daily Mail more than the government.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 8 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 8 2009, 11:13 AM) *
Bloggo, does the word "irony" mean anything to you? It was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the comment that he would trust the Daily Mail more than the government.

Sorry, I missed it. I'll try and do better.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 8 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 8 2009, 11:25 AM) *
Sorry, I missed it. I'll try and do better.

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 8 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 8 2009, 10:37 AM) *

yeah, I see what you mean..... it is pretty rare that anybody would dream of criticising such sacred and loving government laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 8 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 8 2009, 10:34 AM) *
I disagree. I think it likely that it is true.

The problem I see with the article is that it is drawing from different sources which in themselves use different ways of collating data. In other words it is not very scientific.

e.g.

"The Daily Mail, however, was told by experts that the fact that "violence" is interpreted differently in different countries should be taken into account. For instance, where a disturbance is considered a violent offence under British law, in other countries such as South Africa, it's only considered a violent offence if someone is assaulted."

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 8 2009, 10:34 AM) *
Too many people have their head in the sand and are not seeing the social breakdown that is very slowly happening in this country. There are lots of figures published that point to a decline in social standards and icreased crime levels.
How about the reported 1000 criminals, murders and rapists allowed out on bail and disappearing and the goverment does not know where they are or how to get them back in prison. What a mess!!!!

Social breakdown has been happening for 100s of years, the difference now is that we are 'force fed' this type of information 24/7, thus raising anxiety.

It does seem that the criminal element seem a lot more informed and mobile these days and this could be placed, in part, down to communication technology. People are a lot more versed with their 'rights' and how to be a nuisance.

Whether it is getting worse or not is debatable, but I remember what Turnpike estate, St George's Ave, Skylings and others used to be like. I remember being chased through Newbury in the mid 70s by a gang from the Waterside and hearing about the battle between the skinheads and bikers in the late 60s, etc. I remember living near a notorious Newbury 'thug' in the 70s and the Police were always 'very nice' to him, regardless, it seems, of what he did.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:01 AM