Jayjay
post May 28 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 357

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 28 2012, 07:26 PM) *
It's more than we ever got for our two.

Child allowance (the forerunner of child benefit) never paid out for the first child, but you got 5s (25p) for each child after. When you take a brick layer was on about 2s (10p) an hour, child allowance was 2 1/2 times the average hourly wage.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 28 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Jayjay, your memory is failing you. A shilling was 5p, not 10p.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post May 28 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

Ahh, thruppeny bits and half crowns, a proper currency.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 28 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 28 2012, 07:49 PM) *
Jayjay, your memory is failing you. A shilling was 5p, not 10p.

Oops have edited. Old age and the sun getting to me. I was remembering back to late 40's though.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 28 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Also, back then, I suggest that the average house-hold didn't 'need' a second wage coming in.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 28 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 28 2012, 05:20 PM) *
At present child benefit is a universal benefit paid to parents of all children, and yes my son does qualify for it. We do not however need to rely on housing benefit, child tax credits, council tax benefit, free school meals etc etc. The benefits that people having large numbers of children seem to claim in large quantities. We can afford our child without any help, it would be a better country if everyone else could.

So you claim it or not?
You benefit claiming scum! *shakes fist*.

QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ May 28 2012, 05:15 PM) *
When I was a kid we spent huge amounts of time messing around by the canal, but never spread litter around or caused any meaningful damage. To say the least we were no angels but we did (mostly!) all grow up with a sense of responsibility. The yoof of today doesn't have that in them. And I'm sure that's not just my imagination.

Sorry, I disagree. You are tarring an entire generation based on... what proof exactly?
The "yoof" of today just want to be treated, generally, with a bit of respect. It's so easy blaming the younger children these days, it's only ever young people who spit, litter and swear. I would think opening your eyes to what really goes on would help you understand that this isn't true. :-(

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 28 2012, 08:05 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 28 2012, 08:37 PM) *
So you claim it or not?
You benefit claiming scum! *shakes fist*.

Sorry, I disagree. You are tarring an entire generation based on... what proof exactly?
The "yoof" of today just want to be treated, generally, with a bit of respect. It's so easy blaming the younger children these days, it's only ever young people who spit, litter and swear. I would think opening your eyes to what really goes on would help you understand that this isn't true. :-(

Not all but too many of the youth of today expect life handed to them on a plate, they come from a world were the counil give you a house, if you have a shortfall in money you get tax credits. If you get pregnant then your onto a gold mine, mainly thanks to Laour.

+Quote Post
NORTHENDER
post May 28 2012, 08:05 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,173

You seem to forget that it is the Yoof of this country that are in uniform and getting shot at and blown up on a daily basis. Of course there are some that will fall through the net and never amount to much but do not paint them with the same brush. It is the youth of this country that are the first to go in times of trouble. Next time you see any old footage taken in WW1 or two and all the battles since, young men with old faces. I have four of my family in the military that were mere youths when they went in and I defy anyone to find better kids. All four have less than three years to do before retiring.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 28 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NORTHENDER @ May 28 2012, 09:05 PM) *
You seem to forget that it is the Yoof of this country that are in uniform and getting shot at and blown up on a daily basis. Of course there are some that will fall through the net and never amount to much but do not paint them with the same brush. It is the youth of this country that are the first to go in times of trouble. Next time you see any old footage taken in WW1 or two and all the battles since, young men with old faces. I have four of my family in the military that were mere youths when they went in and I defy anyone to find better kids. All four have less than three years to do before retiring.

yes I have upmost respect for the armed forces, however you just see so many hanging round wasting their lives. The whole tax credits culture annoys, me that is for a nother debate.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 28 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 28 2012, 09:05 PM) *
Not all but too many of the youth of today expect life handed to them on a plate, they come from a world were the counil give you a house, if you have a shortfall in money you get tax credits. If you get pregnant then your onto a gold mine, mainly thanks to Laour.

I would not want to be a youngster these days. Having said that, the future for the more senior members of this country is not looking rosy either.

I'm not saying all youths are wasters, only that if there is an incident of antisocial behaviour, it is most likely to be a youth that is responsible.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 28 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 28 2012, 09:05 PM) *

Seriously, you are in the least appropriate position to comment here. Out of touch (completely) springs to mind. Livid and ill informed.
And seriously shut up banging on about Labour and how much you hate them. If you love the Conservatives so much, go hump David Cameron's leg like his little pitbull Nick Cleg does. No-one here really cares what your political views are.

You will find more young people actively looking for work than you do those in their middle ages. They are also more passionate. I recently accompanied a friend to their sign on at the job centre. They are very unsure of themselves, only 19 and never had been before. I went in and there were perhaps 2 people under 25, everyone else was (about 5 of them) I'd estimate, between 30 and 50.

I briefly heard one end of a conversation between one of the younger people and they were explaining how they had applied for <job> and had this interview and it was looking promising. To me they sounded keen and eager to have a job.
Step up to the plate someone in their mid 40's. Scruffy hair, manky polo top, tracksuits and some slip-on trainers.

They were not anywhere near as enthusiastic, didn't really have any answers to the relevant job-search-related questions they were asked and seemed like they did not want to get a job.
75-something percent of students achieve an A*-C rating in most schools. From my experience about 80-90% of those go onto higher education (college or apprenticeships) and then about 40% of those go onto University. Some drop out of school at 16, mostly as they had found smaller jobs eg in a supermarket. Some take a year off to travel (well you are allowed to be young once, you know) and, out of those 10-20% that did NOT go to further education, I'd say 50% of them had no job at time of leaving. So if you break it down that's about 5-10% of the taught population who leave school with no real qualifications and will to get a job......

Do you really think that those people are not willing to work, most of them work part time jobs and want nothing more than to have a job in their chosen careers and be on the property ladder.

On a different note, how come your style of writing changes. In your idiotic posts, you fail to comprehend the basic spoken word, but in a few other posts I've seen, where you actually contribute, you are fluent and well written.
Troll springs to mind.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 28 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 28 2012, 09:18 PM) *
Seriously, you are in the least appropriate position to comment here. Out of touch (completely) springs to mind. Livid and ill informed.
And seriously shut up banging on about Labour and how much you hate them. If you love the Conservatives so much, go hump David Cameron's leg like his little pitbull Nick Cleg does. No-one here really cares what your political views are.

You will find more young people actively looking for work than you do those in their middle ages. They are also more passionate. I recently accompanied a friend to their sign on at the job centre. They are very unsure of themselves, only 19 and never had been before. I went in and there were perhaps 2 people under 25, everyone else was (about 5 of them) I'd estimate, between 30 and 50.

I briefly heard one end of a conversation between one of the younger people and they were explaining how they had applied for <job> and had this interview and it was looking promising. To me they sounded keen and eager to have a job.
Step up to the plate someone in their mid 40's. Scruffy hair, manky polo top, tracksuits and some slip-on trainers.

They were not anywhere near as enthusiastic, didn't really have any answers to the relevant job-search-related questions they were asked and seemed like they did not want to get a job.
75-something percent of students achieve an A*-C rating in most schools. From my experience about 80-90% of those go onto higher education (college or apprenticeships) and then about 40% of those go onto University. Do you really think that those people are not willing to work, most of them work part time jobs and want nothing more than to have a job in their chosen careers and be on the property ladder.

On a different note, how come your style of writing changes. In your idiotic posts, you fail to comprehend the basic spoken word, but in a few other posts I've seen, where you actually contribute, you are fluent and well written.
Troll springs to mind.

I stopped reading at the insults, if you don't like my opinion then fine but at least be adult about it.

+Quote Post
NORTHENDER
post May 28 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,173

Hanging around on the streets and causing a bit of hassle is a young persons game. You do not see many that are well into their twenties hanging around, why, because they have found jobs most of them and have better things to do. Did you not have a group of mates that you hung around with at some time be it at the youth club or the local rec. I think in the main the kids of today are great. Nothing Much know that I deal with kids from all walks of life, council estate kids and kids that live in houses that cost millions and have ponies in the paddock. There is very little if anything between any of them. It does not matter where they come from but where they end up.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 28 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

I guess it depends on how hurried I am in writing, I have read your post now and agree I would not want to be part of the youth of today. It perhaps is'nt all their fault, alot have been let down by education or oppertunites but I do find alot of younger people that are suprised when things like the EMA were stopped or upset that you don't get £500 for every child if you are on income support.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post May 28 2012, 08:26 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

So, attempting back on track.

I've given my views on those that make our precious land an eyesore. What can be done to fight it?

Hmmm, all those nice little asboee's can be sent out to tidy the countryside as opposed ironing second hand trousers in a charity shop! Unless it's already done?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 28 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

EMA being stopped was very hard on students. Parents deemed them too "old" for pocket money, normally you received £120 a month* to help cover college bills, although for most, they recieved it for doing on work experience for at least 16 hours a week. "unpaid" work experience is fine if you're there for, perhaps a fortnight, or month at most, but too many companies are relying on work experience to support their workforce, which is wrong.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 28 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ May 28 2012, 09:26 PM) *
So, attempting back on track.

I've given my views on those that make our precious land an eyesore. What can be done to fight it?

Hmmm, all those nice little asboee's can be sent out to tidy the countryside as opposed ironing second hand trousers in a charity shop! Unless it's already done?

You could use young offenders to pick up litter or people who are on job seakers but have turned down a job ?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 28 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 28 2012, 09:27 PM) *
EMA being stopped was very hard on students.

Rubbish! It was only around for a few years, why are people so against a part time job these days??

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:07 PM