Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lurkio
user23
post Mar 17 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

Bickering and a few turning a forum into a soapbox for their own agenda are two issues that affect most forums.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 17 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 17 2012, 11:52 AM) *
Bickering and and a few turning a forum into a soapbox for their own agenda are two issues that affect most forums.

So much so, others who feel outraged by such behaviour, feel compelled to throw rotten eggs at those that dare poke their head above the pulpit! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 17 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 17 2012, 10:01 AM) *
(PS Any comments I may have made about xjay were in jest, hence the "smileys". He can handle it anyway!! tongue.gif )

laugh.gif We are all friends.

Then again it's easy to pick on two posters who have alternative styles. Say we are big blue meanies who stop you posting. Public enemy number one and all that (actually to be the #1 most wanted person in America is on my "list of things to do before I die"!)

I don't think I've insulted anyone directly, and if I have, I don't mean it (and they know it as well if they are honest with themselves.)
One thing that does wind me up is saying we are attention seeking. Not speaking on Penelope's behalf but I certainly do not do it for attention. If I want that I'll run around the Kennet Centre with my trousers down again.

Besides people are big enough on here to both give and take a few strong words...like minty-freshness (if that's a "word" or a "phrase", who's to know?). Last time I had one of those trebor things it nearly blew my head off. It's quite an argumentative forum anyway (which I had noticed before I even had signed up for an account) - so if you can't deal with a bit of (at times strong) debate then perhaps it's not the place for you. Keyboard friends however is much more easy going. They even say goodnight to each other. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Anyway the point is, if you want to post, you should post without worrying about other people. That's self-conciousness to the extreme.
The only person I've insulted was that numpty in Sainsburys car-park thread, and she doesn't even use the forum, so it's alright! All my meanie comments towards Adrian are (hopefully) taken in the stride of debating issues close to both our hearts (that is whether Chocolate really does make you live longer)
Let me be blunt Jo - I doubt you would post more if I, for example, wasn't on the forum...

If I promise to be nice to you, how about you post about a bit and make the most of the local community forum?

Anyway I am in the process of doing some hard-core video editing so I must vamoosh for now. That can be read in 3 different ways depending on where you place the comma, I can assure you it's nothing dirty. I may even share the finished product with my friends on the forum. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 17 2012, 09:30 AM) *
Not that hey should post less, just that we should encore more people to come.

I said this to my imaginary friend last night, there are only really 10 or 15 "frequent" posters...some more would be nice. Perhaps advertise the forum more in the News paper?

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Mar 17 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

Frankly my dear, if I want attention I can always just get them out down the pub ! If however I feel strongly about a subject I don't see why I shouldn't wade in.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 17 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

So there you have it Jo Pepper. Jump in.
ce

+Quote Post
Bartholomew
post Mar 17 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 261

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 17 2012, 09:30 AM) *
I have been guilty of being a bit feisty in the past, I have never meant anything personally, but I don't like to think that I would have put people off. I agree with the previous statement, some of the posts on here make me want to tear my hair out, but other people like them. The problem is definetly too many of the same people posting. Not that hey should post less, just that we should encore more people to come. Welcom Jo, thanks for joining the thread!

Feisty is ok. Personal insults and negative insinuations aren't. The trouble is that many of the regular posters here have become that because others like me can't be bothered with their petty nit picking and the inability of many of the regulars to hold a reasonable debate.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 17 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Hey Bartholomew ,lighten up, It is Spring. Even Wabbit has posted. Daffs are out.
To be honest , in my short time on here I have not seen any post that was too personal.
I find it the nicest forum for "nothing much"..
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 17 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

PS "Reasonable Debate"... I leave that aside as I munch a breakfast slice of toast and turn the Telegraph pages.
ce.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 18 2012, 12:53 AM
Post #29

Guests

Do you use many other forums ce? In comparison to another forum I used to frequent, a new person would post and say "hi I'm new" and people would be like "yeah and, what's your point? **** off" - that's an unwelcoming forum.
None of that horrible business here though.

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Mar 17 2012, 07:17 PM) *
Feisty is ok. Personal insults and negative insinuations aren't. The trouble is that many of the regular posters here have become that because others like me can't be bothered with their petty nit picking and the inability of many of the regulars to hold a reasonable debate.

To you what defines a normal debate?
For example would you say I participate in "normal debate" or do I derail threads with my <story> <point> <story> posting?
Or would you prefer everything to be exactly to the point? - Because if all you do is talk "to the point"...you end up with a moaning old mans forum.

I know there are some middle aged and less than middle aged (I recall someone being 28 as the next youngest up from my tender self).. I think we need some new people to join in the age group of 18-130.
Or that may be the Olive Oil spread.

Why not arrange perhaps a monthly NWN Forum meet up, neutral location, Sainsburys Cafe perhaps. Entertaining at the least. We could take minutes and everything...whatever they are... I presume people take seconds and hours as well.

+Quote Post
Bartholomew
post Mar 18 2012, 09:44 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 261

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Mar 18 2012, 12:53 AM) *
To you what defines a normal debate?
For example would you say I participate in "normal debate" or do I derail threads with my <story> <point> <story> posting?
Or would you prefer everything to be exactly to the point? - Because if all you do is talk "to the point"...you end up with a moaning old mans forum.

To me normal debate and conversation is when discussion can take place, where people can say things they want without fear of being picked on or attacked and where others views are considered valid and not discarded. I agree that moaning isn't the best discussion. Changing the thread is normal and being exact and to the point simply doesn't happen in most conversations.
What's being discussed now in this thread so far seems to me to be a normal debate. From time to time you start wandering off on another thought. No problem there.
What's happened in other threads is that one of the serial trolls will deliberately derail everything by posting an inflammatory remark. That's when I don't bother to continue.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 18 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

I don't really see what the problem is. You have people that post more than others, but I think some people are wary of posting because they hold a fragile point of view. I suspect they feel concerned about being made to look foolish more than anything. This forum tends to moderate itself. If anyone steps out of line, others chip in.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 18 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

I agree with Andy on this. I really hold no strong views and like an old oak I am easily swayed by
prevailing winds.
So I do tend to veer off to a different sub-plot. I try to acknowledge that in a post.

It is uncomfortable sitting on the fence. Especially barbed wire ones.
I think the forum is pretty well self moderated,which is why I like it.
All happiness to Phil and his family.
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 18 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Do you use many other forums ce?

I used to be active on 2 aviation based forums. and 3 in Norfolk hosted by a Newspaper.
2 of the latter were closed down overnight because of Police interest in a couple of vitriolic posters.
I was away and never really got the full story. and what the heck anyway.

I started the Nothing Much thread at a bad time personally. Mrs N-M was in a morphine coma
for some time. This is 2008, and after a bottle of Rioja at 4am I got cross with the bickering between
BNP and Anti BNP. So I started to ramble about Hadron Colliders and stuff. Just to get them off the page.
It worked,and became a life of it's own. I think it was about 100 pages by the time the forum was shut down.
Matty fom Vermont, Rupert from Bavaria to name but a few.... Didn't help my liver, but it got me through the nights.

ce

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 18 2012, 01:03 PM
Post #34

Guests

Interesting story, I'm surprised with the Rioja you were able to hold such a deep discussion about the LHC...BNP is only going to cause arguments between folk. You did the peaceful thing.
Amazed at the police shutting forums down...I hear they can be quite stringent sometimes, even if you are joking...not like in Australia though, they will censor you like nothing over there.

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Mar 18 2012, 09:44 AM) *
To me normal debate and conversation is when discussion can take place, where people can say things they want without fear of being picked on or attacked and where others views are considered valid and not discarded. I agree that moaning isn't the best discussion. Changing the thread is normal and being exact and to the point simply doesn't happen in most conversations.
What's being discussed now in this thread so far seems to me to be a normal debate. From time to time you start wandering off on another thought. No problem there.
What's happened in other threads is that one of the serial trolls will deliberately derail everything by posting an inflammatory remark. That's when I don't bother to continue.

Fair enough. laugh.gif
Perhaps when the serial trolls derail he thread in a malicious way, it would be a good idea to just try to continue the topic, if it's of interest?
I agree with Andy as well, generally the forum is self moderaing...not much bad stuff really goes on and if it does the community boot is applied to the postees bum. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 18 2012, 01:39 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Sorry a little too much information, xjay. The police were involved after litigation
was started by a poster. And the forum gave up.

I still think ,because I grew up in Newbury, cycled to Greenham to watch the B52s come back,
went to school, it is a fairly pleasant forum. OK I ramble.
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 18 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

I think we all deserve a Mother's day pat on the back.
For being nice....
I am off to get some Nitromors (not bad with a green salad).
ce

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 18 2012, 09:04 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Mar 18 2012, 01:50 PM) *
I think we all deserve a Mother's day pat on the back.
For being nice....
I am off to get some Nitromors (not bad with a green salad).
ce

Well at least its sharper than vinegar!! Great post - made me chuckle after a bland weekend.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post May 1 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,653

Lurkio!
I enjoy reading the forums on my lunch break, and have finally decided to join.

Hello everybody!

Catherine

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 1 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Hello. Welcome to the bigotry; the water's fine! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 1 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

QUOTE (Baffers100 @ May 1 2012, 08:53 PM) *
Lurkio!
I enjoy reading the forums on my lunch break, and have finally decided to join.

Hello everybody!

Catherine

Hi Catherine, I'm new too.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 05:16 PM