IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury music scene, Is it better now?
Bofem
post Sep 22 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

A friend asked me what the music scene was like in Newbury and it got me thinking.

Are we doing OK, punching above our weight, or laughably dismal when it comes to bands/DJs/musical events etc?

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 22 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

As far as I know, and see, it is only for the young. For older people there isn't that much, unless you included the Corn Exchange with occasional 'older' music.

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 22 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Bofem @ Sep 22 2010, 03:00 PM) *
A friend asked me what the music scene was like in Newbury and it got me thinking.

Are we doing OK, punching above our weight, or laughably dismal when it comes to bands/DJs/musical events etc?
Newbury has it's fair share of dismal covers bands playing in various pubs every Friday and Saturday night however there are a few good things out there.

KOTG and the 36th Chamber have been running nights in Newbury (and of course the annual KOTG Victoria Park party) for around a decade now, then there's Bruce Hogg's open mic night formerly of the Canal Bar and Avenue, I guess of no fixed abode now unless anyone knows any different, always good fun. I should also mention the Fun House Twins too, playing at various venues round Newbury and the country and don't forget Jah Works UK, the Newbury based record label that has been running for over 20 years.

The Real Ale Festival has had a decent line-up of bands the past couple of years too and attract all ages, though of course isn't strictly a music event.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 22 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 22 2010, 05:36 PM) *
Newbury has it's fair share of dismal covers bands playing in various pubs every Friday and Saturday night however there are a few good things out there.
QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 22 2010, 05:36 PM) *
The Real Ale Festival has had a decent line-up of bands the past couple of years too and attract all ages, though of course isn't strictly a music event.

tongue.gif

I think this is the one thing TRAF haven't got right so far, notwithstanding that I fear now that it has become too well known and subsequently attracts some of the more undesirables amongst the parish!. tongue.gif

I don't think Newbury has a great reputation for live music, all though it does have some history. It is also better now than it was in the recent past.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 22 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I suppose on the bright side is that we've got the Corn Exchange and the cinema. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Sep 22 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

The Spring Festival is pretty good - shame it all happens in a couple of weeks though I'd go to a lot more if it were spread throughout the year.

+Quote Post
Guest_Newburymafia_*
post Sep 23 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #7

Guests

Newbury's music scene is dead as doornails.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, WE NEED A VENUE. Not just pubs with timmy's first PA slung in the corner.
The Corn Exchange, nice though it is, is too big and expensive to hold live "popular music" gigs and Arlington is too far out of the town centre.
I see the Waterside as a missed opportunity. I'd love to see it go private as a venue, and it's going to become an expensive liability for the council if the vicky park pavilion doesn't go ahead.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 23 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Newburymafia @ Sep 23 2010, 09:39 AM) *
I've said it before and I'll say it again, WE NEED A VENUE.

Well, when we de-parish Newbury the Town Hall will be available. How's this for a line-up:

Ex-TC
Creedence De-water Revival
The Style Council
Talk Talk
Martha and the Muffins

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Sep 23 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #9

Guests

Secret Fridge Party and Relik playing Canal Bar tomorrow night. (SFPs CD launch) followed by DJ Drunken Monk into the early hours.

Onion supporting The Groundhogs at Arlington on Saturday.

The Screenbeats at LSB on Saturday.

Julian Tulk Band and Dry The River at Arlington on Oct. 2nd.

All worth checking out.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Sep 23 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #10

Guests

I've said it before and I'll say it again, WE NEED A VENUE.

I agree with that bit.

+Quote Post
David Allen
post Sep 23 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 571

Newbury's music scene is dead as doornails.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, WE NEED A VENUE. Not just pubs with timmy's first PA slung in the corner.
The Corn Exchange, nice though it is, is too big and expensive to hold live "popular music" gigs and Arlington is too far out of the town centre.
I see the Waterside as a missed opportunity. I'd love to see it go private as a venue, and it's going to become an expensive liability for the council if the vicky park pavilion doesn't go ahead.

If it's a local venue you're after contact Ace Space, formerly the RAFA Hall, St Nicholas Road, RG14 5PR.
Decent sized hall and a separate bar area. Very keen and organized committee and well supported by the local community.

http://www.acespacenewbury.com/index.htm

+Quote Post
Guest_Newburymafia_*
post Sep 23 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Sep 23 2010, 12:52 PM) *
Secret Fridge Party and Relik playing Canal Bar tomorrow night. (SFPs CD launch) followed by DJ Drunken Monk into the early hours.

Onion supporting The Groundhogs at Arlington on Saturday.

The Screenbeats at LSB on Saturday.

Julian Tulk Band and Dry The River at Arlington on Oct. 2nd.

All worth checking out.

They may well be, but they seem to be the only bands I ever see on bills in Newbury. Maybe I dont go out enough.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 23 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (David Allen @ Sep 23 2010, 12:55 PM) *
If it's a local venue you're after contact Ace Space, formerly the RAFA Hall, St Nicholas Road, RG14 5PR.

Looking at the map, isn't that where the TA hall is?

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Sep 23 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (David Allen @ Sep 23 2010, 12:55 PM) *
Decent sized hall and a separate bar area. Very keen and organized committee and well supported by the local community.

http://www.acespacenewbury.com/index.htm

Lovely idea David, but they're unable to put on much amplified music due to one miserable neighbour.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Sep 23 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newburymafia @ Sep 23 2010, 01:06 PM) *
They may well be, but they seem to be the only bands I ever see on bills in Newbury. Maybe I dont go out enough.

What scene do you expect in a 35,000 town? CBGBs or the Marquee?

I think there's a good basis for a long supply of good quality acts. The rehearsal rooms in Boundary Road are much better these days, and there's a new recording studio at Greenham, the local radio is more supportive (esp BBC Berks), and most events now have local bands playing as a matter of course. Pubs are more amenable since the licensing reforms, even if it's only an acoustic night, and there are few local promoters operating semi-professionally.

There is of course room for improvement. Here's my top three:

Different buskers - introduce licences and grade the pitches accordingly (no scousers please!)
Decent music shop - if only we could move Sticks and Strings from Thatcham to Noobree
Pub equipment - landlords, please invest in some kit OR pay the lads properly so they can hire

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Newburymafia_*
post Sep 23 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (Bofem @ Sep 23 2010, 04:21 PM) *
What scene do you expect in a 35,000 town? CBGBs or the Marquee?

I think there's a good basis for a long supply of good quality acts. The rehearsal rooms in Boundary Road are much better these days, and there's a new recording studio at Greenham, the local radio is more supportive (esp BBC Berks), and most events now have local bands playing as a matter of course. Pubs are more amenable since the licensing reforms, even if it's only an acoustic night, and there are few local promoters operating semi-professionally.

There is of course room for improvement. Here's my top three:

Different buskers - introduce licences and grade the pitches accordingly (no scousers please!)
Decent music shop - if only we could move Sticks and Strings from Thatcham to Noobree
Pub equipment - landlords, please invest in some kit OR pay the lads properly so they can hire

There is a good basis for a strong supply of local acts. And there are good acts that are born in Newbury - particularly Studio 91 at Greenham.

The problem is, all the best ones dont play Newbury. They go play elsewhere because there's no where in Newbury that rewards the quality of the act anymore - both in terms of crowd, venue or payment.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Sep 24 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #17

Guests

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14635

sad.gif

+Quote Post
mamba
post Sep 29 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 892

I'm in a fairly new local band and have just started booking some gigs. We would have loved to have played our first gig in Newbury along with some other local talent but there is just nowhere to do it. We probably would have done Avenue until it obviously shut down. We are looking into the football club or Northcroft to put it on ourselves with another band but it's far from ideal. Our first two gigs are in Swindon and Reading as there just isn't anywhere here.

p.s. We're called Below The Fall in case you want to check us out. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Sep 29 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (mamba @ Sep 29 2010, 01:15 PM) *
Our first two gigs are in Swindon and Reading as there just isn't anywhere here.

Do you mean the Dolphin, Monument, Snooty Fox, AFC Newbury, Ace Space, et al all turned you down?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mamba
post Sep 29 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 892

QUOTE (Bofem @ Sep 29 2010, 01:30 PM) *
Do you mean the Dolphin, Monument, Snooty Fox, AFC Newbury, Ace Space, et al all turned you down?

The Dolphin and Snooty Fox only have cover bands.

Ace Space haven't replied to my email - although judging by previous comments this probably won't be a goer.

As I said, we are looking into the football club.

OK - The Monument is an option but it's not a great venue, is it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:14 PM