IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

47 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halal, why should we put up with this?, If fox hunting with dogs is outlawed, why not Halal?
Turin Machine
post Jan 2 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

If I sleep in a stable it doesn't make me a horse.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jan 2 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

[quote name='Weavers Walk' date='Jan 2 2012, 03:53 PM' post='52764']
Calm the swearing down dear. It does your argument no good.

Judging by the heated discussion here , it is not affected by the actual words, expletives or otherwise (note, I am not the only one who has asterisks in their submissions

I suspect that the "wishes of the vast majority of decent minded people" are that people can eat what they want and should be free to choose to do so.

As I said, a referendum would show what the majority of us feel.

Please take your 'Dog-Whistle' racism elsewhere. (after all that WAS the point of your post wasn't it?)

Umm, no.
The point of my post was exactly as it says on the tin, unnecessary cruelty in the name of fairy tales. You can't bring up Halal/Kosher WITHOUT including religion. That is why our lilly livered politicians lean over backwards to accomodate, and stuff the rest of us.

Besides, Islam is not a race, it is a religion of peace (!)

You know, have a crafty pop at the Muslims. Trouble is, you forgot or didn't know about Kosher meat. Stephen Fry is Jewish. Where do you propose he p's off to then?

Kosher, Halal, ask the goat or cow if it makes difference.
Stephen Fry? purleeze

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jan 2 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 2 2012, 07:45 PM) *
If I sleep in a stable it doesn't make me a horse.

No, it wouldn't, but you may be a little horse if you breath in straw dust!!

wink.gif

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 2 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Although I feel somewhat hypocritical, I would like not to eat halal meat. How can I confirm if meat is halal?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 2 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

You should be able to just ask if you are getting it in a restaurant, otherwise I think it is on the packaging.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 2 2012, 10:42 PM
Post #46

Guests

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jan 2 2012, 08:35 PM) *
No, it wouldn't, but you may be a little horse if you breath in straw dust!!

wink.gif

Okay okay, rein it in.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 2 2012, 11:51 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

neigh, I refuse !

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 2 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Ok, lets "make hay while the sun shines" and have a straw poll on the issue, anyway, gonna hoof it off to bed.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 3 2012, 01:13 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 2 2012, 07:13 PM) *
Not if you denounce your religion.

Jewishness is not only about religion - Fry certainly seems happy enough to be an atheist Jew when it suits him.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 3 2012, 01:22 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 2 2012, 07:32 PM) *
My Mother is a Baptist - does that make me one by definition? blink.gif

No - I have not seen parentage included in any definition of what a Baptist is.

However, Jews consider children born to Jewish mothers to be Jewish (Jewish father, gentile mother - not Jewish; Jewish mother, gentile father - Jewish).

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 3 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 3 2012, 01:13 AM) *
Jewishness is not only about religion - Fry certainly seems happy enough to be an atheist Jew when it suits him.

I have to say, I've always found it a little sad that we find it necessary to define people by the archaine rules of religions or past history. There was a spot of bother back in the 1930s where this happened big time. Do we really need lables?

Tony Benn summed it up quite well; My Father was a Lord so under our rules that qualifies me to be a Lord and therefore fit to rule - if he'd been an Airline Pilot, would you have been satisfied to let me take you for a trip in a plane, after all I'd be qualified....!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 3 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #52

Guests

I don't think anyone other than Mr Fry can comment on Mr Frys religion.

+Quote Post
IanB
post Jan 3 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 23

I think this thread represents the frustration felt by a growing number of people about the constrictive oppression of Britain by political correctness. I believe that this can only simmer for so long before it really boils over.

For the record, I believe that we are now far too accomodating as a country in some respects. We are in grave danger of losing our identity for good. I wonder how accomodating other countries would be to our 'needs' should the roles be reversed? Because this is my belief, I would appreciate it if you'd just roll over and accept it. ;-)

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 3 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #54

Guests

Ah yes, the Great British Identity.

Where we work for international companies, drive in German cars listening to music sung by American artists, buy Salad from Latvia, where we watch British teams made up of foreign players playing football on Televisions made in China while sitting on Sofas bought from DFS made in Peru.

We have no identity. The problem isn't identity, it's PCness which I hate.

I am not PC at all.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 3 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (IanB @ Jan 3 2012, 01:43 PM) *
I think this thread represents the frustration felt by a growing number of people about the constrictive oppression of Britain by political correctness. I believe that this can only simmer for so long before it really boils over.

For the record, I believe that we are now far too accomodating as a country in some respects. We are in grave danger of losing our identity for good. I wonder how accomodating other countries would be to our 'needs' should the roles be reversed? Because this is my belief, I would appreciate it if you'd just roll over and accept it. ;-)

Ok, fine by me. wink.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 3 2012, 02:04 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 3 2012, 01:56 PM) *
Ah yes, the Great British Identity.

Where we work for international companies, drive in German cars listening to music sung by American artists, buy Salad from Latvia, where we watch British teams made up of foreign players playing football on Televisions made in China while sitting on Sofas bought from DFS made in Peru.

We have no identity. The problem isn't identity, it's PCness which I hate.

I am not PC at all.

When objections are made against people and upheld by authority because they demonstrate their christian belief by wearing a cross, crucifix or any other christian badge then we have already lost the PC battle.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 3 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Some of the justifiably concerned responses here are worried about loss of a national sense of identity / purpose. Regrettably, we've been sleepwalking into what has been termed a multi cultural society - though none of us have ever seen it in a political manifesto. We used to have a saying 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do' - not a bad touch stone. After all, in the US - billed as the land of the free, see what happens if you decide to deface the flag, or criticise the troops.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jan 3 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

The thread is getting a bit bear ( sic) ish . The unequivocal truth is that nationalism does exist in all of us , multiculturalism being something dreamt up by the spin doctors in order to make us feel guilty whenever the race card is played ,the fact that we tend to become defensive when our legislate is ignored or deemed non applicable on ethnic or religious grounds only empathises our concerns for our continuing identity . To paraphrase a well worn quotation , they may well be crap laws but they are our crap laws .

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 3 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 3 2012, 12:07 PM) *
I have to say, I've always found it a little sad that we find it necessary to define people by the archaine rules of religions or past history. There was a spot of bother back in the 1930s where this happened big time. Do we really need lables?

Jews define themselves - an fact that has meant the survival of the Jews as a distinct group, I cannot think of any other group that has been so successful at not assimilating into a host culture. Of course many have assimilated, but the survival of Judaism after hundreds of years immersed in Christian European cultures is an impressive feat.

Everyone uses labels all the time, for some reason we do need them. The problems come if we start thinking that those labelled X are in some way inferior to those labelled Y and that therefore it is okay to treat them differently.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 3 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #60

Guests

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 3 2012, 05:33 PM) *
To paraphrase a well worn quotation , they may well be crap laws but they are our crap laws .

Defo agree with that, a fair point. But unfortunately when was the last time the public were questioned or polled on an event, ruleset, anything?

I think it would be fairly easy to set up a voting system on proposed rule changes and introduction. It can be linked to the census, so you register a web account against your census name (to be done via post or at a council office, driving license, passport, whatever) , giving you the right to then participate in easy 1-click "for" or "against" votes online on and, because we are a democracy, the majority of the votes is what should then be passed (or rejected) -

+Quote Post

47 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:49 PM