Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pageant Fancy Dress...
theone09
post Mar 12 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 341

Are the moving somewhere else or closing down altogether?

Just found plans for the shop to be turned into ANOTHER restaurant

http://planning.westberks.gov.uk/rpp/index...ef=11/00236/FUL

You will need Adobe (PDF) Reader to view the plans which you can download here http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 13 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Great. The restaurant I was in last night was packed.

There's clearly room for more.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 13 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

As retail appears to be in decline, restaurants seem to be an obvious choice. Difficult to eat out on the Internet.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 13 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

http://publicaccess.westberks.gov.uk/Publi...Y&module=P3

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Mar 13 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

I didn't realise there's so much more space beyond the current shop space. It's a great spot for an independent, as clearly the chains aren't interested in the 5 empty units underneath the cinema.

Fingers crossed for a decent Chinese, Vietnamese or French.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 13 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

I'd have to say that I would personally see it remain as a retail unit than a restaraunt. Whilst there is a substantial number of vacant units for restaurants to occupy, why should we change consent of other units in town?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 13 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 13 2011, 11:02 AM) *
I'd have to say that I would personally see it remain as a retail unit than a restaraunt. Whilst there is a substantial number of vacant units for restaurants to occupy, why should we change consent of other units in town?

Because it would be better than an empty unit?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 13 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 13 2011, 11:06 AM) *
Because it would be better than an empty unit?

I can see that argument. My own opinion is that it should be kept for retail use. I think that any furter dilution of retail use on that street will be a negative thing for the other retailers there. I thing the overall balance is the important factor, and if the balance is somehow not right, will that lead to more vacant units in Cheap Street? I guess everyone will have their own opinion, but I think any restaurants should be directed to units that already have consent in the town.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Mar 13 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 13 2011, 11:26 AM) *
I guess everyone will have their own opinion, but I think any restaurants should be directed to units that already have consent in the town.

Where are those premises?

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 13 2011, 11:39 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I can see that argument. My own opinion is that it should be kept for retail use. I think that any furter dilution of retail use on that street will be a negative thing for the other retailers there. I thing the overall balance is the important factor, and if the balance is somehow not right, will that lead to more vacant units in Cheap Street? I guess everyone will have their own opinion, but I think any restaurants should be directed to units that already have consent in the town.
You'd rather the premises was empty and that businesses shouldn't be able to open where they want?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 13 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

As you might know, it is not just about finding an empty unit, but also the location. My view is that is is not a good place for a shop, nor a restaurant - parking isn't great in that area, and people don't like to walk - but if someone wants to try, all power to them.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 13 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 13 2011, 11:02 AM) *

Retail units are fine so long as a retailer can make a profit? With the high overheads in Newbury it is no wonder we have a lot of turnover in retailers? If there are few other retail shops at that end of town then you have to have something really special to entice customers to come up to that end?

It will probably be far worse when Parkway opens and shops move into the new units and vacate existing shops? wink.gif

Best start planning for what can be done to prevent the southern end of town becoming a ghost town?

Mass demolition and a new housing estate instead of Sandleford? wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 13 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 13 2011, 11:39 AM) *
You'd rather the premises was empty and that businesses shouldn't be able to open where they want?

I don't want to see any empty units, but I just think we should be looking to protect our retailers. By allowing this unit to change, it is further shifting the balance of Cheap Street away from retail and it puts other small retailers at risk of having to close up and move elsewhere.

I'm entitled to an opinion just as much as anyone, and that opinion is that we should be protecting the smaller traders in the rest of the street. It's not about stopping the applicant from having choice as to where they open, there are units all over town with permission for that use of all different sizes. It's a great location for a retailer. Nothing I say will affect the outcome, but you really do have to look at the consequences for the rest of the immediate area. The fancy dress shop does a good trade and people do walk to it along Cheap Street generating footfall for the others. If it goes, that footfall goes too. Gradually over time, shops have been lost and takeaways and restaurants have opened, which has seen a sharp decline in footfall and trade at other retailers in that street.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 13 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 13 2011, 03:14 PM) *
I don't want to see any empty units, but I just think we should be looking to protect our retailers. By allowing this unit to change, it is further shifting the balance of Cheap Street away from retail and it puts other small retailers at risk of having to close up and move elsewhere.

I would guess that the low popularity of that part of town is reflected in the rent - making it more attractive than an expensive unit under the cinema or vacant premises elsewhere (eg the Pig & Paper).

It has to be said that there is very little retail left in Cheap Street / Market Place so I'm not surprised others are leaving.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Mar 13 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I fear a lot of opinion about this application may be ill-informed, if not based on narrow vision. No-one has addressed whether Pageant is profitable; whether the lease is coming to an end; whether any other retailer has come forward; whether Pageant is simply re-locating, etc.....
Pageant is an interesting business, but it is hardly the place to attract users to that end of Cheap St. I'm not certain what would.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 13 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 13 2011, 03:59 PM) *
I fear a lot of opinion about this application may be ill-informed, if not based on narrow vision. No-one has addressed whether Pageant is profitable; whether the lease is coming to an end; whether any other retailer has come forward; whether Pageant is simply re-locating, etc.....
Pageant is an interesting business, but it is hardly the place to attract users to that end of Cheap St. I'm not certain what would.

But could another retail business be viable on that site? I'm sure it will get approval, I just think we should consider the impact on that street if it goes through. The Pig and Piper is available at a snip if somebody wants to open a restaurant, and I've heard the terms of leasing something under the cinema are pretty reasonable too.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 13 2011, 04:25 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 13 2011, 04:16 PM) *
But could another retail business be viable on that site? I'm sure it will get approval, I just think we should consider the impact on that street if it goes through. The Pig and Piper is available at a snip if somebody wants to open a restaurant, and I've heard the terms of leasing something under the cinema are pretty reasonable too.

what do you call a snip Richard in monetary terms per Annum?

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 13 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 13 2011, 04:25 PM) *
what do you call a snip Richard in monetary terms per Annum?

Starting at £26k plus rates (£500 a week). It would obviously depend on the terms of the contract you negotiate, but there are some cracking deals for leasing in Newbury right now. Avenue was attractive from what I remember, and the Bricklayers looks like a good deal too if you have the money to launch it properly and deal with the brewery.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 13 2011, 04:41 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 13 2011, 04:38 PM) *
Starting at £26k plus rates (£500 a week). It would obviously depend on the terms of the contract you negotiate, but there are some cracking deals for leasing in Newbury right now. Avenue was attractive from what I remember, and the Bricklayers looks like a good deal too if you have the money to launch it properly and deal with the brewery.

The Garvie Arms perhaps? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Mar 13 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Identifying a 'good idea' that someone else should take up as a business is a bit like Gen Haig deciding how many more troops should 'Go over the top'.
Simple truth is whoever owns the building will want to make money, and whoever operates the space will want to do the same. There is no way to control what business goes on where as suggested.

In my book having to take over £3k a week just to pay to open the door is not 'a snip' for a new independent business. Especially when you add in fees and start-up costs.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:31 PM