Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A rant: Tesco's the helpful shop, Northbrook Street store
GMR
post Jul 15 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

I was shopping in Tesco’s Northbrook Street store today when I saw a blind man and his dog enter (no, this is not leading to a joke) and make his way to the customer service department (fag area). He stood there patiently waiting to be served but the shop assistants totally ignored him (even though several glanced in his direction). When it was my turn to be served I said “Excuse me but I think this gentleman would like to be served”. The lady shop assistant turned to him and said, “Can help you?” “yes,” he replied, ”I would like to be taken to the sandwich section please.” She thought about it for a few seconds and then said, “What sort of sandwiches would you like?” He said, “Erm, I’ll know when somebody takes me and I can see what you’ve got on offer” (I presume the “see” was a figure of speech… just in case somebody humorously points out a fly in the ointment of that man’s statement). She then went to the speaker phone and called for assistance.

In the mean time I got served, went out and about 5 minutes later I went past the shop again and saw him still standing their patiently.

My point is that this man was given such appalling service. Aren’t staff trained to be alert and noticed people either in stress or in need of help? This is not the first time I’ve seen people waiting at the service desk while other customers have been served first.

As I started the Tesco’s theme I might as well go on; I was talking to a member of staff awhile back who told me that they need more staff there, because the staff they’ve got struggle as it is. They close down checkouts when there are queues because people want to go home or have their break. They won’t get more staff in because they are more geared to profits than customer satisfaction. As a regular customer to that branch I must concur with her assessment of that particular branch (at least I concur looking in from the outside).

I hope that my little rant has done some good for mankind and Tesco’s shoppers and that when I go back into the shop tomorrow I will notice an improvement… then again.... sad.gif wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 15 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Why did you not help the man your good self if you were so concerned? huh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 15 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 15 2009, 03:05 PM) *
Why did you not help the man your good self if you were so concerned? huh.gif

I did think about it but I was in a queue and he might have wanted other stuff and a member of staff might have been more helpful. However, I probably would have been more quicker tongue.gif Of course that wasn't the point of my rant; the point was the service.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Jul 15 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 104

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 15 2009, 03:41 PM) *
I did think about it but I was in a queue and he might have wanted other stuff and a member of staff might have been more helpful. However, I probably would have been more quicker tongue.gif Of course that wasn't the point of my rant; the point was the service.

Tesco again eh !! Maybe he looked underage or maybe his guide dog that he had with him was underage rolleyes.gif

Tesco .......... useless !! Simples laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 15 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I'm afraid this is the type of (lack of) service we have become used to in this country.

Companies want to pay as little as possible to their front line staff so recruit those who will accept that.

I'm sure that good customer service cannot be the key point at the job interview.

Do these people receive any customer service training?

I could name several local retail outlets where poor customer service seems to be the norm, Tesco's being one of them, especially the petrol station.

This is not to mention McColl's in Bart. Street!! sad.gif

A little politeness and civility costs nothing. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Jul 15 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 104

YES !! Tesco petrol station. Its when you go in to pay and the staff are having a conversation when you walk in and they CONTINUE to do so, ignoring you standing there !! SO **** RUDE !! And these are normally 'more mature' people whom you would expect would have learnt some manners / customer service in their time, but NO !! My husband went in once, they did this to them, so he simply said PUMP 4 and slammed the cash down on the counter and walked out (basically being rude back again). Thats ok IF you have cash of course and if you dont want anything else. I now try to 'pay at pump'.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 15 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #7

Guests

I assume if the chap knew where the customer services area was that he was a regular otherwise he would have needed assistance just to find his way there.

Not that it should make any difference, he should have been assisted swiftly regardless.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 15 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I have two points to make, firstly it's Tesco's, not Harrods of course it's not going to be great, there's has to be a price to pay for the cheapness. Secondly I always take issue when people complain on other peoples behalf, how was the service you received? That's what you should focus on, as you don't know the other chap's full story.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 15 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 15 2009, 05:54 PM) *
it's Tesco's, not Harrods of course it's not going to be great, there's has to be a price to pay for the cheapness.

I repeat -
A little politeness and civility costs nothing.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 15 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rose8 @ Jul 15 2009, 04:22 PM) *
Tesco again eh !! Maybe he looked underage or maybe his guide dog that he had with him was underage rolleyes.gif

Tesco .......... useless !! Simples laugh.gif

It is lucky he wasn't deaf as well otherwise it would be a never ending problem. sad.gif

I agree Rose; most of the complaints on here are about Tesco's. I don't think I've read a complaint about another supermarket on here; however, if I am wrong somebody will correct me. wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 15 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 15 2009, 04:24 PM) *
I'm afraid this is the type of (lack of) service we have become used to in this country.

Companies want to pay as little as possible to their front line staff so recruit those who will accept that.

I'm sure that good customer service cannot be the key point at the job interview.

Do these people receive any customer service training?

I could name several local retail outlets where poor customer service seems to be the norm, Tesco's being one of them, especially the petrol station.

This is not to mention McColl's in Bart. Street!! sad.gif

A little politeness and civility costs nothing. rolleyes.gif

I agree Biker, a bit of politeness doesn't hurt anyone.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 15 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 15 2009, 05:50 PM) *
I assume if the chap knew where the customer services area was that he was a regular otherwise he would have needed assistance just to find his way there.

Not that it should make any difference, he should have been assisted swiftly regardless.

I did see him come in following his guide dog who led him to the service counter where he waited patiently.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 15 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Bill1 moaned about Sainsbury's tills a while back and someone said they didn't like Waitrose as they come across stuck up. Stores like Tesco are becoming like a 'Cash and Carry' and are ill equipped for anyone that is unable to 'fend' for themselves. When one is on circa £6.00 an hour, it is likely that these places won't always get the most motivated or, experienced of staff. Ironically, anyone with any real aptitude to good service usually either moves on or gets promoted from the shop floor anyway.

On the flip side, I know of and have seen 'customers' treating the sales assistants like dirt also.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 15 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 15 2009, 05:54 PM) *
I have two points to make, firstly it's Tesco's, not Harrods of course it's not going to be great, there's has to be a price to pay for the cheapness. Secondly I always take issue when people complain on other peoples behalf, how was the service you received? That's what you should focus on, as you don't know the other chap's full story.

But I wasn't complaining on anybody's behalf other than mine. He might have been quite happy, I wasn't and as it riled me I thought I would put pen to paper (so to speak).

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 15 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 15 2009, 07:48 PM) *
Bill1 moaned about Sainsbury's tills a while back and someone said they didn't like Waitrose as they come across stuck up. Stores like Tesco are becoming like a 'Cash and Carry' and are ill equipped for anyone that is unable to 'fend' for themselves. When one is on circa £6.00 an hour, it is likely that these places won't always get the most motivated or, experienced of staff. Ironically, anyone with any real aptitude to good service usually either moves on or gets promoted from the shop floor anyway.

On the flip side, I know of and have seen 'customers' treating the sales assistants like dirt also.

I agree; there are two sides to every story. I've seen staff abused and in some cases I've stepped in.

No doubt you'll ask me how I stepped in laugh.gif I just said that there was no need to talk to that person like that; we are all human and they are on a minimum wage after all. Where I was told to **** off; in which I replied "like wise." laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jobet
post Jul 15 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 35

We go to Budgens,Wash Common regularly. Find all the staff here friendly and will help if needed. There is always plenty of room for parking and you don't get pushed and shoved about like in Sainsbury's or Tesco's rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 16 2009, 06:16 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I don't get pushed or shoved in any store.

I've had problems in Metro too. On a morning there was a huge queue as only one checkout was open. I mentioned this to the 'supervisor' and was met with "we only have one checkout operator in at the moment apart from me". I pointed out that perhaps she would be better employed taking money than chatting/shelf filling. Cue petulant sighs and stomping of feet. Queue waiting was cut in half too.

On the subject of queuing, has anyone used the 'new' twin queues at the pharmacy counter in Boots? There is a while-you-wait queue and drop-off/collect queue. All good in principle.

In practice, there is no queue management so staff have no idea who is next and unless you are vocal, the drop-off queue gets ignored as you are stood to one side and the queue usually shorter.

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jul 16 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

It's not just Tesco's!

I always find the staff in Camp Hopsons are very reluctant to end their conversation in order to serve you. rolleyes.gif

J

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 16 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Talking about queues; years ago Tesco’s had a television campaign and a sign post campaign in stores saying “if checkouts are full ask and we will open one for you” or words to that affect. I did, so did many others and not long after that they took the signs down in the Newbury Metro. Talking to a member of staff shortly after it seemed so many customers demanded they opened a checkout that they had to take the signs down. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 16 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JMH @ Jul 16 2009, 10:52 AM) *
It's not just Tesco's!

I always find the staff in Camp Hopsons are very reluctant to end their conversation in order to serve you. rolleyes.gif

J

On that particular subject; does anybody remembers Ottakers book shop on the bridge? The staff were so brilliant that they were happy to discuss literature with you. You just wanted to go back and purchase another book for the intelligent conversation. Now book shops are just interested in your money and then you can go. The staff in the book shops in Newbury look at you as if you are mental when you try to discuss a book.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:29 PM