Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Moderating market forces, Public service makes a comeback
On the edge
post Aug 16 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Some news feeds are reporting that our new Prime Minister is finding inspiration in the works of that old Liberal Unionist Joe Chamberlain. The man who brought us municipalisation; in effect, local councils running the key de facto monopoly utilities, such as gas, water, electricity etc. The Torys are still the Conservative and Unionist party of course.

I must admit, for many years, that was something I'd wholly support. Before WW2, muncipal endeavour was broadly successful and in many cases gave the rationale for real local difference and independence.

So, on the face of it, I should be well pleased. Arguably, a far more effective solution than centralised nationalisation - simply because it creates an automatic and transparent real performance measure; there being more than one provider.

But for me, the real downside is the state that our municipality has arrived at locally. With the best will in the World, I really can't envision WBC, still less NTC being able to manage even the most basic service provision.

Is a return to municipalisation an unachievable idea?

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:50 AM