Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Police numbers - less is more?
NWNREADER
post Oct 7 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,265

Maybe why the Chief Constable's meet with WBC was in private?

With so many threads and comments about bad driving, speed, etc , but no comment on this item, I wonder if we have just become resigned to the constant reduction in visible police patrols? Does it matter?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 7 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #2

Guests

No less police presence than normal, and trust me I would know (as I am normally out perusing the streets most night).

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 8 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Once Chieveley closes, we will see a reduction in this end of the District, more so to the west of Newbury. So much for being able to reduce spending without cutting police numbers.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 8 2011, 09:15 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

The police are fairly ineffective anyway, in all honesty this will stop all the minor headaches they cause. The big stuff should still get dealt with.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 8 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 8 2011, 10:15 AM) *
The police are fairly ineffective anyway, in all honesty this will stop all the minor headaches they cause. The big stuff should still get dealt with.

No desperate need to rush and renew road tax and insurance now then. I assume this means if West Berks has very little traffice patrol cover we don't have to worry about PNVR camera's? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 8 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Oct 8 2011, 11:41 AM) *
No desperate need to rush and renew road tax and insurance now then. I assume this means if West Berks has very little traffice patrol cover we don't have to worry about PNVR camera's? rolleyes.gif

ANPR cameras will still be in action - so they will know if the car is on the road. Link that to the DVLA data and they can tell if the vehicle is taxed etc. If not - a penalty notice / summons in the post. Who needs traffic police for that?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 8 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

There is still the safer roads partnership who can operate speed cameras as well. I assume they will still be out raising funds.

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Oct 8 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 8 2011, 01:45 PM) *
ANPR cameras will still be in action - so they will know if the car is on the road. Link that to the DVLA data and they can tell if the vehicle is taxed etc. If not - a penalty notice / summons in the post. Who needs traffic police for that?

Unfortunately most of those won't be registered by the current owner. It'll be the unwitting former keeper who gets the letter in the post.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 8 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Oct 8 2011, 02:16 PM) *
Unfortunately most of those won't be registered by the current owner. It'll be the unwitting former keeper who gets the letter in the post.

It will be the former keeper's fault if that happens. It is the former keeper's responsibility to notify the DVLA of change of ownership.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 8 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 8 2011, 01:45 PM) *

Meant to imply the cameras actually mounted in the traffic police patrol cars! Less traffic patrol cars in the area= less checking surely? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 8 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 8 2011, 12:06 AM) *
No less police presence than normal, and trust me I would know (as I am normally out perusing the streets most night).

What is 'normal'?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 8 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Oct 8 2011, 03:22 PM) *
What is 'normal'?

A couple of token PCSO's? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 8 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 8 2011, 02:26 PM) *
It will be the former keeper's fault if that happens. It is the former keeper's responsibility to notify the DVLA of change of ownership.

Trouble is the DVLA are experiencing massive problems with the post. They are tending to lose a very high percentage of correspondence aparently... effiecency changes perhaps? unsure.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Oct 8 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Oct 8 2011, 03:57 PM) *
Trouble is the DVLA are experiencing massive problems with the post. They are tending to lose a very high percentage of correspondence aparently... effiecency changes perhaps? unsure.gif

No, they are a revenue earning agency. They attempt to 'fine' the RK for failing to notify or tax (or SORN) which is far more lucrative than simply doing the work.

Loads of people either pay the fixed penalty 'offer' or lose in Court since they don't know how to properly defend.

The defence is the Interpretation Act which states that once placed in the mail, it is assumed delivered unless proven otherwise. (ie DVLA have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they did not receive it - it has to be proven (how do you prove a negative0, and not simply asserted.

The DVLA 'requirement' to contact them if not acknowledged with a set time has no basis whatsoever in statute.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 8 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

And a recorded delivery would settle that one, I would imagine. In my experience, a lot of RKs don't realise it is up to them to notify the DVLA of any changes.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 8 2011, 03:37 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Oct 8 2011, 04:06 PM) *
No, they are a revenue earning agency. They attempt to 'fine' the RK for failing to notify or tax (or SORN) which is far more lucrative than simply doing the work.

Loads of people either pay the fixed penalty 'offer' or lose in Court since they don't know how to properly defend.

The defence is the Interpretation Act which states that once placed in the mail, it is assumed delivered unless proven otherwise. (ie DVLA have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they did not receive it - it has to be proven (how do you prove a negative0, and not simply asserted.

The DVLA 'requirement' to contact them if not acknowledged with a set time has no basis whatsoever in statute.

Usual story then the bureaucracy wins every time.... unsure.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 8 2011, 07:19 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Oct 8 2011, 04:06 PM) *

The mail issue is probably codification of an old maxim that really only held good when the mail was delivered by the state. It's the Royal mail and you cannot call the Crown a lie.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 8 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Oct 8 2011, 03:22 PM) *
What is 'normal'?

Handful of Panda cars and a traffic car most evenings I go out.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 22 2011, 01:38 AM
Post #19

Guests

If the attitude of local bobbies is anything to do with their numbers, I'm all for their decline.

Was parked up at McDonalds at the retail park for a couple of hours tonight, 5 or 6 of us, minding our own business. pair of coppers in a Panda car pull up and park right next to us and get out.

"alright lads" they go. so we're like "yeah alright you?". you know, standard sort of conversation...

they go "so when will you all grow up and stop hanging around in a mcdonalds car park?"
Suddenly it's like a tumbleweed has magically entered the car park. my buddy wayne who i met from the golf owners site just stands there and goes "i'm 35....." - 'nuff said, really!

I'm all for a bit of banter but this didn't seem like banter to me, it seemed like a dig and it was only when the coppers realised we were actually grown ups did they start to change their tune.

not sure whether they liked being asked about enjoying the doughnuts upon their exit from the fast food establishment but it was funny nevertheless.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 22 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Sounds fairly standard. You should have heard what came out of the mouth of the last copper I dealt with - if I didn't have my wife as a witness I don't think anyone would have believed me!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:50 AM