> Local Elections, Protest Voting
On the edge
post May 23 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (GMR @ May 23 2009, 05:56 PM) *
Wouldn't it be better to vote for one of the minority parties instead. That would speak louder than spoiling her ballot paper/

Possibly; but I haven't seen one that I think would make any difference. If a minority candidate did win, the hapless mainstream favorite would be blamed. If a large number of 'no votes' appeared it would disturb the administrative mind. During the miners strike, I often felt that if the miners had picketed Mrs T in absolute silence, it would have destabelised her - the unexpected always does. I saw the effect previously when my ambulance man brother took (in the parlance of the time) 'industrial action' rather than go on strike, they turned up for work but without uniforms. Service ran without a hitch, but oh dear, the effect on management was unbelievable. Apologies if this is a long response, but I do feel strongly about the need for change at WBC and at the same time regard the vote as precious.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 25 2009, 09:59 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 23 2009, 09:53 PM) *
Possibly; but I haven't seen one that I think would make any difference. If a minority candidate did win, the hapless mainstream favorite would be blamed. If a large number of 'no votes' appeared it would disturb the administrative mind. During the miners strike, I often felt that if the miners had picketed Mrs T in absolute silence, it would have destabelised her - the unexpected always does. I saw the effect previously when my ambulance man brother took (in the parlance of the time) 'industrial action' rather than go on strike, they turned up for work but without uniforms. Service ran without a hitch, but oh dear, the effect on management was unbelievable. Apologies if this is a long response, but I do feel strongly about the need for change at WBC and at the same time regard the vote as precious.

Oh, I agree with you... but I don't agree on spoiling your ballot paper. Anyway, they reckon that it could be as low as 45% turn out at the next election. Which will help smaller parties.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:18 PM