Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is there life on the moon ?, Watch this space
lordtup
post Oct 11 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 164

Bit of a light hearted Sunday afternoon type one here .

NASSA sends a £50 million glorified dustbin to our near neighbour to prove the existence of water . Very noble in the scientific context , but surely that piece of high tech ironmongery carries on it's carcass minute microbes from the planet Earth . Introduce them to the water on Planet Moon and BINGO we have the emerging tentative steps of life .

So next thing we know ( give or take a few million years ) we have a planet on our doorstep that is inhabited by , well who knows what , but I bet they won't take to kindly to their big neighbour lording it over them .

wink.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 11 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Well, perhaps history will repeat itself. Just as we've done in the past, the Moon could become a convict colony. It worked before and Australia hasn't turned out that ba....oh well just a thought!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Oct 11 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 11 2009, 05:39 PM) *
Well, perhaps history will repeat itself. Just as we've done in the past, the Moon could become a convict colony. It worked before and Australia hasn't turned out that ba....oh well just a thought!

Spiffing idea old bean , send the ASBO yobs there .
Who knows in a hundred years they could be beating us at cricket too

tongue.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Oct 12 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (lordtup @ Oct 11 2009, 05:07 PM) *
Bit of a light hearted Sunday afternoon type one here .

NASSA sends a £50 million glorified dustbin to our near neighbour to prove the existence of water . Very noble in the scientific context , but surely that piece of high tech ironmongery carries on it's carcass minute microbes from the planet Earth . Introduce them to the water on Planet Moon and BINGO we have the emerging tentative steps of life .

So next thing we know ( give or take a few million years ) we have a planet on our doorstep that is inhabited by , well who knows what , but I bet they won't take to kindly to their big neighbour lording it over them .

wink.gif

I don't profess to know much about this & never gave it much thought, but I once cared for the children of a scientist who worked on the doomed 'Beagle' mission to Mars. His job was in the clean room, & he & a whole team worked soley to try to eliminate the possibility of any rogue organisms going into space. They went to extreme lengths to succeed (at least in this area wink.gif ). Coincidentally, this guy was poached by NASA, despite the Beagle's unknown final destination.

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 12 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I hear Tesco are already planning their first shop there.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Oct 12 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 12 2009, 09:18 PM) *
I hear Tesco are already planning their first shop there.

Building a Tesco's is one thing, get staff to fill it is another tongue.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Oct 13 2009, 08:04 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rachel @ Oct 12 2009, 09:16 PM) *
I don't profess to know much about this & never gave it much thought, but I once cared for the children of a scientist who worked on the doomed 'Beagle' mission to Mars. His job was in the clean room, & he & a whole team worked solely to try to eliminate the possibility of any rogue organisms going into space. They went to extreme lengths to succeed (at least in this area wink.gif ). Coincidentally, this guy was poached by NASA, despite the Beagle's unknown final destination.

There is a theory that life on earth started from microbes on a comet that impacted 1 billion years ago . Though where they came from God only knows ( no pun intended ) .
The Beagle project was run by diligent British boffins , contrary to the gung ho approach of the Americans to whom the end always justifies the means .

I quite like the idea of little moon men ( or women ) living on our doorstep . rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
HJD
post Oct 13 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (lordtup @ Oct 13 2009, 09:04 AM) *
I quite like the idea of little moon men ( or women ) living on our doorstep . rolleyes.gif

You never know they might be here already, ( & posting on this forum ). laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Oct 13 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Oct 13 2009, 09:04 AM) *

And he played upon a ladle, a ladle, a ladle...... smile.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Oct 15 2009, 06:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rachel @ Oct 13 2009, 09:38 PM) *
And he played upon a ladle, a ladle, a ladle...... smile.gif

Must admit this left me in the dark ( moon again ) so I googled it , and there was light .
rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 15 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (lordtup @ Oct 15 2009, 07:36 PM) *
Must admit this left me in the dark ( moon again ) so I googled it , and there was light .
rolleyes.gif

Me, too - but it's quite charming

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Oct 16 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Oct 15 2009, 09:11 PM) *
Me, too - but it's quite charming

Glad to have been of service; funny really, to have read today's 'ground breaking' news that our children would benefit from play based learning until they are six....maybe we should all have sung more nursery rhymes in order that we would spend less time on here laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Oct 16 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rachel @ Oct 16 2009, 04:21 PM) *
Glad to have been of service; funny really, to have read today's 'ground breaking' news that our children would benefit from play based learning until they are six....maybe we should all have sung more nursery rhymes in order that we would spend less time on here laugh.gif

Au contraire mon cheri , it is because we spend to much time playing as opposed to learning that we have such an abysmal literacy standard in this country .
In my experience children thrive on knowledge . Age is irrelevant to the desire to learn , what is important is that the desire is met in full by those who are the best position to do so i.e teachers and parents , not politicians or left wing pressure groups . angry.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Oct 16 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Oct 16 2009, 06:17 PM) *
Au contraire mon cheri , it is because we spend to much time playing as opposed to learning that we have such an abysmal literacy standard in this country .
In my experience children thrive on knowledge . Age is irrelevant to the desire to learn , what is important is that the desire is met in full by those who are the best position to do so i.e teachers and parents , not politicians or left wing pressure groups . angry.gif

This is a whole new thread, is it not? smile.gif . However, I can't disagree with anything you have said. My only other thought is that life has many, many lessons to teach us all, regardless of age & I am open to the idea that little people can learn vast amounts outside the classroom (even if it puts me out of a job!). But my 1 firm belief is that anyone who can read has the world at their feet...literacy can take anyone to places they couldn't dream of, & knowledge is, truly, power.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Oct 16 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rachel @ Oct 16 2009, 07:07 PM) *
This is a whole new thread, is it not? smile.gif . However, I can't disagree with anything you have said. My only other thought is that life has many, many lessons to teach us all, regardless of age & I am open to the idea that little people can learn vast amounts outside the classroom (even if it puts me out of a job!). But my 1 firm belief is that anyone who can read has the world at their feet...literacy can take anyone to places they couldn't dream of, & knowledge is, truly, power.

I apologise if my comment was a trifle off route and I totally agree with you that the ability to read is the gateway to the world .
Better get back on thread or one of us will be in trouble with the beak ( and I know who ).
rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 16 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (lordtup @ Oct 16 2009, 06:17 PM) *

As opposed to French genders? tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:21 AM