Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Victoria Park
Jacklets
post Oct 8 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 97

I read elsewhere that Newbury Town Councillor David Allen feels that the new arts building for Victoria Park will give Newbury "a venue that other towns across the country would give their right arm for. "

Isn't Victoria Park, with it's location and pond already a venue that other towns envy, and more importantly, a much loved open space by the many people who use it every day.

He also says "it'll be an exciting building in the middle of town making it easy to get to and useful for residents."

Doesn't that also describe the Corn Exchange nicely? So why does there have to be another one, and why does it have to be in the centre of Newbury - it's not the only town in West Berkshire.

He says "There's a few reservations they want ironed out but he's hopeful a decision will be reached before December on the look of the building.

But then goes on to say that his reservations are that it will be a big building in the corner of a park which is a lovely green area. Also that they're still looking for justification for some of the rooms to ensure they will be used every day. Those seem like quite big reservations to me - and many we all share!

I don't claim to understand all the "politics", secrecy and iffy decisions made surrounding this proposal. But I do know that those that love and use the park should fight to protect it, because once one buidling goes up in there, more will follow and our open space will never be the same again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ArchitectRIBA
post Oct 8 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 362

If it is open space then it should remain so - a 20,000sqft (yes that is big) building is not a welcome visitor to a public open space. Some one somewhere defined the brief and we need to be informed as to who shaped this brief? Councillors keep stating that a survey in 2007 resulted in the vast majority of public wanting a new centre, but this survey did not give the public a choice of what should go into it until now. Also you may not be aware but the youth centre has been touted for redevelopment, why not spend the money remodelling it - there must be imaginative architects and builders who could do this rather than to keep on building everywhere.
The NWN states that there will be a public exhibition on 5, 6, 7 November in the Library, maybe a survey needs to be done as to whether the public think the size and uses of the proposal needs to be downscaled ?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 8 2009, 01:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Beyond that, this issue seriously brings in to question the impartiality of at least one of the panel members, with regards architectural matters.

I used to be a supporter of this, but not now; I smell a rat. I wonder how many others who supported the idea might now have second thoughts about how this has been handled.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 8 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (ArchitectRIBA @ Oct 8 2009, 02:08 PM) *
Councillors keep stating that a survey in 2007 resulted in the vast majority of public wanting a new centre,

I wonder if they asked the question "Do you want a large building on the green space that is Victoria Park?".

No, I thought not.

Which quarter of the park would it take, anyway?

It seems that whenever this council (whichever party is currently in charge - it makes little difference) wants to ride roughshod over the wishes of the residents, they can always dig up a survey in favour which nobody else has seen.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 8 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

Sat in Vicky Park myself at lunchtime having a sarnie, looking at the boating pond, a rare find in any public park today and thinking to myself what a little gem the place is, and almost in the centre of town. Why won't local politicians just accept that people want it left as it is?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Oct 8 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Oct 8 2009, 05:51 PM) *
Sat in Vicky Park myself at lunchtime having a sarnie, looking at the boating pond, a rare find in any public park today and thinking to myself what a little gem the place is, and almost in the centre of town. Why won't local politicians just accept that people want it left as it is?

If politicians did what the people wanted then they wouldn't be politicians (they'd be bloody samaritans).
wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 8 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Oct 8 2009, 05:51 PM) *

I would imagine, the majority of people don't give a fig and this is why they do as they do.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 8 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 8 2009, 07:56 PM) *
I would imagine, the majority of people don't give a fig and this is why they do as they do.

Just like the Euston Arch, then? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 8 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

The "boating" pond is awful and the corner they're talking about building on is usually muddy and unused.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 9 2009, 07:46 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 8 2009, 09:14 PM) *
the corner they're talking about building on is usually muddy and unused.

I'm no civil engineer but, if that's the case, might that be an indication of significant drainage problems making it not really suitable?

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post Oct 9 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

The "boating" pond is awful and the corner they're talking about building on is usually muddy and unused.

Surely any building has an impact on not just the space it actually occupies, but all of the surrounding area. If it's built there, it'll change a huge area of the park forever. and of course - there's the disruption that construction will cause - haven't we all had enough of the Newbury building site?

If planning permission for this building goes ahead, how long before the next one?

+Quote Post
ArchitectRIBA
post Oct 9 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Not that muddy when I played football with my son recently, else maybe this area needs to be taken care of by the grounds people. If it was banked up and had more planting less water would sit around here possibly.
I still feel the park is currently a disappointment, so surely it would benefit from a serious rethink as a landscaped park rather than as a building site. Can we not all propose this instead when the exhibition takes place?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 9 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ArchitectRIBA @ Oct 9 2009, 12:53 PM) *
Can we not all propose this instead when the exhibition takes place?

One of the benefits of being retired is the ability to allocate the time to attend exhibitions of this nature and express opinions. I, for one, will go along and tell them my feelings about the park.

+Quote Post
ArchitectRIBA
post Oct 13 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I only hope the Newbury public will make an effort to look at this project as it may need to be seriously reviewed or withdrawn. Any complacency will only let the project steam roller thru the planning system.

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 16 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (ArchitectRIBA @ Oct 9 2009, 12:53 PM) *
Not that muddy when I played football with my son recently, else maybe this area needs to be taken care of by the grounds people. If it was banked up and had more planting less water would sit around here possibly.
I still feel the park is currently a disappointment, so surely it would benefit from a serious rethink as a landscaped park rather than as a building site. Can we not all propose this instead when the exhibition takes place?
It's certianly muddy now. There's also around 15 foot of bank that could and I guess will be removed to make more space.

If limited to this area and the "boating lake" I think it will be a great utilisation of space that is mostly unused now.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 16 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

The area around the boating pond seems to be an area for teens to hang out, eat McDonalds & leave rubbish strewn about.
The only bits that actually seem to be well used is the children's play area, skateboarding ramps, cafe & area around the bandstand.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 16 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 16 2009, 05:31 PM) *
The area around the boating pond seems to be an area for teens to hang out, eat McDonalds & leave rubbish strewn about.
The only bits that actually seem to be well used is the children's play area, skateboarding ramps, cafe & area around the bandstand.

Terrible to think that teens hang out in a park - whatever next? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ArchitectRIBA
post Oct 21 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

There has been no complacency to build an underground car park for the shopping development, so why not re-site the pavillion opposite the library and shift the existing parking under it, that would form a nice courtyard with views also over the canal. Failing that why not just redevelope the Youth Centre - why demolish it and then change it to housing as seems to be hinted at the moment.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 21 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (ArchitectRIBA @ Oct 21 2009, 11:25 AM) *
There has been no complacency to build an underground car park for the shopping development,

Sorry, can't work out what you intended to say here. smile.gif

so why not re-site the pavillion opposite the library and shift the existing parking under it,

Would there be room? What happens to the old wharf building? Or do you mean a different opposite (there are 3).

Failing that why not just redevelope the Youth Centre - why demolish it and then change it to housing as seems to be hinted at the moment.

Seems like a good idea - but where does the Youth Centre go?

But isn't the whole idea of the underground car park for it to be connected to the new shopping development?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 22 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 21 2009, 12:07 PM) *
Seems like a good idea - but where does the Youth Centre go?

Good question, the Waterside is due to be given to developers - the idea of a youth centre in Newbury will soon be a thing of the past.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:10 AM