> Why won't people help?
GMR
post Sep 22 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 22 2009, 11:57 AM) *
JeffG - If me and GMR were to turn up on a nightly basis outside your house and chuck things at your windows / doors and you called the Police but no action was taken against us what would you do? Move?

He might invite us in for a chat and a drink. And if he had Eskimo blood in him he might be even more hospitable wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 22 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 22 2009, 11:49 AM) *
Mind you, they did repeatedly call 999 when kids were throwing a few apples at their house. This is possibly a case of crying wolf "Oh yes, that nuisance caller again."

The problem is, and I know that there is a demand on resources, that if the Police don't deal with the small acts of A.S.B. then these will grow into more serious issues as it did in this instance.
The Police are there to protect you from this sort of behaviour and from any standpoint these people were let down and ignored and the Police should be ashamed.
The problem is that the Police don't always protect the public for whatever reason and the law won't let you protect yourself.
What a miserable situation to find yourself in.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 22 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

There never seems to be enough evidence to deal with the kids, but there always is when it comes down to the 'victim' of ASB. It makes the Police and the CPS look feeble.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 22 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 22 2009, 01:04 PM) *
There never seems to be enough evidence to deal with the kids, but there always is when it comes down to the 'victim' of ASB. It makes the Police and the CPS look feeble.

Interesting that the "moderator" to exception to your choice of descriptive words for the Police and CPS. laugh.gif

Seriously though it is worse than that if the Police fail to take action or their reprimands are ignored because the perpertrators do not fear the consequenses of their actions then the level of ASB will ramp up until the Police are forced to act with some degree of authority.
There needs to be a "zero tolerance " approach to ASB in all it's forms.
I also don't understand why they are letting their reputation and image be undermined by children and youths who really need to learn a lesson.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 22 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 22 2009, 11:57 AM) *
JeffG - If me and GMR were to turn up on a nightly basis outside your house and chuck things at your windows / doors and you called the Police but no action was taken against us what would you do? Move?

If "me and GMR" were to do that, I'd probably introduce them to some people I know...

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 22 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 22 2009, 03:43 PM) *
If "me and GMR" were to do that, I'd probably introduce them to some people I know...

JeffG - These people may then get arrested if they touched us. Meanwhile we'll keep on chucking stuff at your windows and doors. wink.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 24 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Another example of where being a good citizen counts against you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8272575.stm

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Sep 25 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Stephen Lawrence (the headteacher) was murdered for stepping in to break up a fight outside his schoo.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 25 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Sep 26 2009, 12:14 AM) *
Stephen Lawrence (the headteacher) was murdered for stepping in to break up a fight outside his schoo.

And there are many other cases like that. The police will always suggest that you don't interfere but call them.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 25 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Sep 26 2009, 12:14 AM) *

Who was he?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 25 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 26 2009, 12:20 AM) *
Who was he?

Wasn't Stephen Lawrence was the black teenager who was killed... not the teacher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Stephen_Lawrence

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 25 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

He means Philip Lawrence

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/2536661.stm

+Quote Post
gel
post Sep 26 2009, 07:44 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Old Bill claim that local yobs no longer their responsibility/see link: angry.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...ce-officer.html

So shall we try calling WBC out of office hours and await arrival of their Constables? blink.gif

Answers on a postcard please to,
We do it our way, Thames Valley Police, Newbury.

If we had more local accountability for policing, as they do in US for example, where
local Sheriff is elected, we taxpayers could ensure the police set the priorities
we want, and not just tick the boxes of Home Office.

At moment these targets set very often by unelected friends of Labour eg Baroness Scotland;
(Haven't quite worked out her links with Scotland yet!)

Obviously there'd have to be checks & balances so local priorities aren't at expense of anything else,
but as things stand, balance is definitely tipped against local concerns.

Accountability should be priority, and it's sadly lacking; next Government should exclude anyone from being a Minister of State, who has not been elected by local voters.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Sep 26 2009, 08:44 AM) *
Old Bill claim that local yobs no longer their responsibility/see link: angry.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...ce-officer.html

So shall we try calling WBC out of office hours and await arrival of their Constables? blink.gif

Answers on a postcard please to,
We do it our way, Thames Valley Police, Newbury.

If we had more local accountability for policing, as they do in US for example, where
local Sheriff is elected, we taxpayers could ensure the police set the priorities
we want, and not just tick the boxes of Home Office.

At moment these targets set very often by unelected friends of Labour eg Baroness Scotland;
(Haven't quite worked out her links with Scotland yet!)

Obviously there'd have to be checks & balances so local priorities aren't at expense of anything else,
but as things stand, balance is definitely tipped against local concerns.

Accountability should be priority, and it's sadly lacking; next Government should exclude anyone from being a Minister of State, who has not been elected by local voters.

It also seems it is not the responsibility of the council or housing associations either. They keep referring people back to the police.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 26 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Maybe someone could define the role that Thames Valley or any other police force are accountable for ?

It does appear that it has become one great cop out ( pun intended ) as far as anti social behaviour goes .

The paradox is of course that if a concerned member of society decides that matters need addressing in an old fashioned way he then finds himself at odds with the very organisation who's initial lack of interest led to him taking this form of retribution in the first place .

What is the difference pray between a yob making my life unbearable and me making his a little uncomfortable via a sound kick in the nether regions ?

We are probably lucky in Newbury that we , as yet , do not suffer from feral gangs of youths rampaging across our town , but that has more to do with the standards of the endemic population than some local council legislative .

To return to the initial posting thread surely the very reason why we are all reluctant to get involved is the fact that we know we are going to be questioned by the constabulary with regards to our actions . Indeed I have not heard of a single case where a member of the public has acted against hooliganism and not had to explain their actions to some officious PC.

The whole question of town , or country , anti social behaviour will undoubtedly be one of the first questions the political canvassers will be met with next year as they trawl their electoral propaganda round the houses . The difference this time is though we all know where the problem lies and therefore the stock in trade answer will no longer wash.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 26 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

To compound the issue, it takes a long time of protracted ASB before any authority will start to take any action.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 26 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (lordtup @ Sep 26 2009, 12:57 PM) *
Maybe someone could define the role that Thames Valley or any other police force are accountable for ?.............

Aren't they there simply to 'Keep the Queen's peace'? They can put anyone they find 'in breach' in front of the Magistrates - who are accountable to the Queen's representative in the County, the Lord Lieutenant. Or did 'Assumed President Blair' even manage to destroy that?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 27 2009, 05:59 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (lordtup @ Sep 26 2009, 12:57 PM) *
We are probably lucky in Newbury that we , as yet , do not suffer from feral gangs of youths rampaging across our town ,

?? angry.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 27 2009, 09:40 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 27 2009, 06:59 AM) *
?? angry.gif

I also use the ?? mark to your comments Lordup "We are probably lucky in Newbury that we , as yet , do not suffer from feral gangs of youths rampaging across our town". I think we do suffer from rampaging youths out of control. And I am speaking from experience and observation.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Oct 5 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 104

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 27 2009, 10:40 AM) *
I also use the ?? mark to your comments Lordup "We are probably lucky in Newbury that we , as yet , do not suffer from feral gangs of youths rampaging across our town". I think we do suffer from rampaging youths out of control. And I am speaking from experience and observation.

Rightly or wrongly - IF anyone came into my home uninvited, with a view to comitting a crime i am afraid i WOULD defend my home, myself and my children and i wouldnt give a **** WHAT the law says !!!!! Mind you ....... i probbaly wouldnt have to do a thing as i can guarantee my 2 dogs would not be pleased to see them shall we say :-)

As for breaking up fights etc, i would definately say something or approach them if i knew them. If i didnt, to be honest i am not sure, but if it looked 'nasty' i would call the police.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:01 AM