IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would Madam or Sir be interested in ........?, Whenever you approach a til, you get asked if you want something else.
x2lls
post Mar 22 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 511

Which REALLY does my head in!!

If I wanted that crap, I would nmad well ask for it!!
The problem is, that the staff at the til are obliged to ask and they have to deal with the company policy and the angry customer. How many of you have bought on the 'recommendation'?

I just got some petrol at BP opposite B&Q on A4 in Newbury and was asked if I was interested in 'something chocolate'. When I said 'PLEASE' don't ask me, she said that the company had sold something like 1000+ in the last x amount of days. I explained that it was not good for the customer. I am seriously thinking of boycotting any retail outlet that insists on telling me I haven't spent enough ... angry.gif from Newbury.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 22 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Fortunately the worst I get asked is "Do you want a bag?,
when I am holding one ready for the goods. It must be a mantra thing for some staff.
ce.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 22 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't have a problem, so long as it is a good deal. In fact I have made purchases based on a recommendation lots of times.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 22 2012, 08:46 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Mar 22 2012, 08:12 PM) *
when I am holding one ready for the goods. It must be a mantra thing for some staff.
ce.

Why would a till operator ask you if you wanted a woman?

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 22 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I knew I should have phrased properly. Akshirley I am a bit short of one.
"Older BMW driver seeks Thai girlfriend from Newbury area".
In jest .
I am sadly a widower but I do fancy my neighbour who became husbandless soon after
36 years I have known her and she has become really girly and attractive thanks to her daughter.
Not interested.....oh well

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Mar 23 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

I think the Irish lady at BP is hilarious, she always manages to entice people to buy stuff. More annoying I find there is no room at their tills as it is full of cds/choc/cakes etc for their add ons.

The most annoying thing I find is in clothes shops being asked for one of there store cards every time I go in there. You get asked at the changing room, asked when browsing and then asked again at the till. This does really annoy me becuase 9/10 I am in a hurry and really don't have time to listen to the same old thing I was asked last week. I supopse the easiest thing to do would be to stop clothes shopping so much...Mmmm, nah, not going to happen wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 23 2012, 08:57 AM
Post #7

Guests

Yeah, this is very annoying.
If I wanted something I'd bloody well ask for it!

C.e I know a chap who may know a chap who knows a Thai Bride.. she love you long time.
Now to boycott a company because they ask "would you like some chocolate too?" is a bit harsh. My friend commented on the same thing yesterday, why they offer you miscellaneous items. Other than fuel.

It does annoy me but, most of the time, I am too relaxed to get angry, I just say "no thanks".. if it's a very good deal then, perhaps I may agree.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 23 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

"I know a chap who may know a chap who knows a Thai Bride".
Thanks xjay.

I should have waited for today. The opening of the "Country Chicken (Living) Spring Fair)
It is about a couple of poles, roods, perches, or anyway just round the corner.

This is almost Newbury based as the pavements are packed with people who might have come
from Brightwalton or even Boxford. All ladies of a certain age,with best hair, pearls, nice shoulderbags.
My sort of gel really. I am going back out soon!

The strange thing about petrol stations.(And they are not really stations), Is that someone will leap out of the
passenger seat to return with a handfull of crisp packets, a couple of cans etc leaving the poor driver
endlessly pumping. And then they have to queue to pay for pump no 7 or was it 8.
ce

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 23 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Mar 22 2012, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE (GMR @ Mar 22 2012, 08:46 PM) *
Why would a till operator ask you if you wanted a woman?

Not in Sainsbury's. They have a big sign on the wall saying "Take your old bag shopping".

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 23 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Anyway, JeffG. I did try to squirm out of my faux pas.
The scaffolding is down and my pressure washer is out.
Builders/Painters come back next week to touch up,( Make of that what you will.)
I am always open to joshing.
ce

+Quote Post
HJD
post Mar 23 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Mar 23 2012, 08:39 AM) *
I think the Irish lady at BP is hilarious, she always manages to entice people to buy stuff. More annoying I find there is no room at their tills as it is full of cds/choc/cakes etc for their add ons.

Personally i have stopped using the London Road BP garage ( so have most of my work collegues for that matter ). The reason i usually stop at a garage is for fuel but there is nearly always a load of people food shopping. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 23 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (HJD @ Mar 23 2012, 05:09 PM) *
Personally i have stopped using the London Road BP garage ( so have most of my work collegues for that matter ). The reason i usually stop at a garage is for fuel but there is nearly always a load of people food shopping. rolleyes.gif

That is so annoying; people who park at the petrol pump who then decide to go for a weeks shopping while leaving their car in teh space!!
Go to a supermarket for shopping..a bread roll and a packet of crisps is one thing, spending 20 minutes actually walking up and down all the isles is quite another.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Mar 23 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Mar 23 2012, 05:13 PM) *
That is so annoying; people who park at the petrol pump who then decide to go for a weeks shopping while leaving their car in teh space!!
Go to a supermarket for shopping..a bread roll and a packet of crisps is one thing, spending 20 minutes actually walking up and down all the isles is quite another.

I have seen notices in some garages asking people, once they have finished filling-up, to move vehicles away from the pumps before going into the shop. Trouble is, often there is little space to re-park. I heard somewhere that garages can make more profit from the shop than selling fuel..

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Mar 23 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

I remember the barber used to ask my Dad if he wanted 'something for the weekend', but he never asked me. Dad never wanted anything, but I would've loved some chocolate......

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Mar 23 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (x2lls @ Mar 22 2012, 07:59 PM) *
Which REALLY does my head in!!

If I wanted that crap, I would nmad well ask for it!!
The problem is, that the staff at the til are obliged to ask and they have to deal with the company policy and the angry customer. How many of you have bought on the 'recommendation'?

I just got some petrol at BP opposite B&Q on A4 in Newbury and was asked if I was interested in 'something chocolate'. When I said 'PLEASE' don't ask me, she said that the company had sold something like 1000+ in the last x amount of days. I explained that it was not good for the customer. I am seriously thinking of boycotting any retail outlet that insists on telling me I haven't spent enough ... angry.gif from Newbury.

It never fails to amaze that whenever I pass the above establishment there appears to be a mentally challenged driver trying to turn right across the traffic flow . The fact that there is a roundabout literally a stones throw away seems irrelevant .
One can only conclude that the proprietors view their clientele sufficiently obtuse to be ideal candidates in the gullibility stakes .

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 23 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 23 2012, 06:36 PM) *
I remember the barber used to ask my Dad if he wanted 'something for the weekend', but he never asked me. Dad never wanted anything, but I would've loved some chocolate......
Ironically, you can now get something for the weekend in chocolate flavour, apparently.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Mar 23 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 23 2012, 06:36 PM) *

My old man used to get his hair cut in a little smoke-filled barbers in central London. About once a month he would buy a bottle of Vitalis hair oil which he used every morning; I can still remember the smell of it. To his last breath in his 70s, he had a fantastic, full head of hair.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Mar 23 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 23 2012, 06:55 PM) *
Ironically, you can now get something for the weekend in chocolate flavour, apparently.

Wonderful little gems of knowledge are gleemed from the web .
I even googled it.........ladytup not amused !!! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 23 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I suppose really it's a form of advertising is it not?
Now having adverts on every commercial channel every 10 minutes really gets my goat!
Seems every time you turn to a commercial channel it's adverts!
I don't mind paying the licence fee to be free of them on BBC although they spend much time between programmes advertising their own products.
Is this becoming a "Grumpy Old Men" forum?? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 23 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 23 2012, 07:20 PM) *
I suppose really it's a form of advertising is it not?
Now having adverts on every commercial channel every 10 minutes really gets my goat!
Seems every time you turn to a commercial channel it's adverts!
I don't mind paying the licence fee to be free of them on BBC although they spend much time between programmes advertising their own products.
Is this becoming a "Grumpy Old Men" forum?? tongue.gif

No Biker1, it is a reflection of all/general joe/joline questioning the way the world is going. I for one, HATE the way our lives are (attempted) to be controlled by business. Christmas, for example, succumbed years ago. I will NEVER EVER buy anything on someone elses say so, unless I was already looking for it!!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:24 PM