2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sterling site proposals
tia
post Feb 9 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,541

I have only just heard that there is a proposal for houses on the Sterling Cable site, Does anyone realise that this was previously a Gas Works and Holder site. My Father worked there and I can certainly remember that there was a lot of chemicals in the ground. Are they still there and are they dangerous. I seem to remember it was called Oxide or Red Oxide but Im am not certain. Surely there are safer places to build houses in Newbury. Why don't them convert some of our empty office buildings into living accomodation.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 9 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

....Shock, horror, think of the children, (etc)

btw - I suggest they don't bother TOO much with decontamination of the site.

Just pack it with as large a number of cheap 'social houses' as possible. The contaminants in the ground will be absorbed by the sprogs of the residents and within a couple of years they'll become neutered and incapable of reproduction.

Today's housing problem solved. Tomorrow's burden on the Welfare State also sorted.....

I'm a genius me......

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 9 2012, 11:04 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

I gather the developers have planned a big spend on cleaning the site, hence their need to maximise the number of 'accommodations' they can squeeze in and make their needed profit.
I reckon it would help massively if the nearby junction was to be improved - maybe traffic lights and crossings. If it could be done in advance at public cost the developers would not have to stump up a 106 contribution....

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 9 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (tia @ Feb 9 2012, 10:43 PM) *
I have only just heard that there is a proposal for houses on the Sterling Cable site, Does anyone realise that this was previously a Gas Works and Holder site. My Father worked there and I can certainly remember that there was a lot of chemicals in the ground. Are they still there and are they dangerous. I seem to remember it was called Oxide or Red Oxide but Im am not certain. Surely there are safer places to build houses in Newbury. Why don't them convert some of our empty office buildings into living accomodation.

Can I assume that you don't read the local newspapers as this has been ongoing for a a long time with one development refused because of high rise and now we await the decision on the new application. The contamination is well known and part of the deal is the applicant will clean it up to the satisfaction of the Environmental health and the cost will be factored out by the density of the housing.
I think NWN reader is being a bit of a devil's advocate there.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 10 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 9 2012, 10:54 PM) *
....Shock, horror, think of the children, (etc)

btw - I suggest they don't bother TOO much with decontamination of the site.

Just pack it with as large a number of cheap 'social houses' as possible. The contaminants in the ground will be absorbed by the sprogs of the residents and within a couple of years they'll become neutered and incapable of reproduction.

Today's housing problem solved. Tomorrow's burden on the Welfare State also sorted.....

I'm a genius me......

Actually makes perfect sense.
Although an oxide is just oxygen mixed with another compound which could be daffodils for all the OP knows. Talk about panic over nothing.
Red oxide could just be tomatoes with oxygen, or perhaps the blood of the slave labourers of days gone by.
Even if it were Iron Oxide (red oxide) it's pretty much safe.

Lest of course they dyed asbestos to hide it from ze germans.

+Quote Post
tia
post Feb 11 2012, 11:44 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Feb 9 2012, 11:56 PM) *
Can I assume that you don't read the local newspapers as this has been ongoing for a a long time with one development refused because of high rise and now we await the decision on the new application. The contamination is well known and part of the deal is the applicant will clean it up to the satisfaction of the Environmental health and the cost will be factored out by the density of the housing.
I think NWN reader is being a bit of a devil's advocate there.

I live 160 miles away at the moment and have only just started to read the NWN online, I am Newbury bred and born and lived across the road from the Gas Works as a child. I well remember the smell from it.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 12 2012, 03:59 AM
Post #7

Guests

See, you're 160 miles away, what do you care? I was born in Reading but you won't see me protesting on a forum if that gets blown up. In fact I welcome it, it's full of road works and pikeys. I was probably bred in a bed somewhere but I never ask too much about that as I instantly want to kill myself at the thought of it.

Excuse the smell from the gasworks, that was simply me after a few plates of beans and egg soldiers. Boy, I remember when my Mammy would make me egg soldiers. I had various little egg-cups, some were very dear to my heart. And then the un-buttered, toasted slices which were then cut into thin slices for me. A few dips of the "soldiers" (now as an adult I question how they could be perceived as soldiers, as they had neither any military training or weaponry, or at the very least even a basic uniform) and I was away. I wolfed them down.
Mmm, very delicious, but no doubt the smell of any gaseous substance from my rear end would drive many to protest.

I am glad you found NWN online. After all what else is there to do except read community forums? I feel it would be nice if there were more people from the area on the forums, why doesn't NWN run some sort of advertising campaign and get more than 6 people as regular posters? I'm sure Heart FM can only play the Trademark windows advert so often on their radio show. Maybe you can speak to Mark, as he puts the Mark into Trademark. I'd personally like to put his head through a window for making such a catchy jingle.
I feel it's because most of Newbury is computer-illerate and doesn't understand the concept.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 12 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Do you crayon over every thread?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 12 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 12 2012, 03:59 AM) *
See, you're 160 miles away, what do you care? I was born in Reading but you won't see me protesting on a forum if that gets blown up. In fact I welcome it, it's full of road works and pikeys. I was probably bred in a bed somewhere but I never ask too much about that as I instantly want to kill myself at the thought of it.

Excuse the smell from the gasworks, that was simply me after a few plates of beans and egg soldiers. Boy, I remember when my Mammy would make me egg soldiers. I had various little egg-cups, some were very dear to my heart. And then the un-buttered, toasted slices which were then cut into thin slices for me. A few dips of the "soldiers" (now as an adult I question how they could be perceived as soldiers, as they had neither any military training or weaponry, or at the very least even a basic uniform) and I was away. I wolfed them down.
Mmm, very delicious, but no doubt the smell of any gaseous substance from my rear end would drive many to protest.

I am glad you found NWN online. After all what else is there to do except read community forums? I feel it would be nice if there were more people from the area on the forums, why doesn't NWN run some sort of advertising campaign and get more than 6 people as regular posters? I'm sure Heart FM can only play the Trademark windows advert so often on their radio show. Maybe you can speak to Mark, as he puts the Mark into Trademark. I'd personally like to put his head through a window for making such a catchy jingle.
I feel it's because most of Newbury is computer-illerate and doesn't understand the concept.

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 12 2012, 09:19 AM) *

spartacus, it is said 'everyone likes the smell of their own farts.'

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 12 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 12 2012, 09:19 AM) *

I try and ignore him, but if people keep encouraging him then he will do. He's like a puppy, learning through treats.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 12 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 12 2012, 09:53 AM) *
I try and ignore him, but if people keep encouraging him then he will do. He's like a puppy, learning through treats.

Not really. I actually post like that because I want to, and it's sort of how I am. If people like something I do, cool. If people don't like it, that's fine too. We are all to different tastes. I for example like Salad Cream on everything I eat.

I am hardly doing this for attention of the Newbury middle aged or as a response to a few people that may like my style of posting. Although you will not believe that, I am the last person in the world who craves recognition... From a young age (well, younger) I was taught to do things because I wanted to, or because I was proud, not to sucker up to other people. I'm like the Fidel Castro of the foruming world. Apologies I am not as serious as you like me to be. Infact, no I am not sorry for it, because why should I be...?
For the record you were the one who crayoned on the thread because you put the Simpsons drawing on. Don't go all high and mighty and then post a picture of one of the words finest pieces of art after it has been ruined by some hooded American teenage and a few hours on Adobe Photoshop. rolleyes.gif

In all seriousness, this thread is pointless - so why should I bother validating if with a serious response, as in Spartacus's post, alongside Exhausted's post..everything that needs saying has been said? It's a "known" issue, not a new one, been on-going for quite a long time, there is already the "known" issue of contaminants within the local area, and it seems like the OP doesn't even live in the same county, so why does it matter to them at all? If there is a serious post I will post up some serious points as I have done plenty of times before.

I'm off to bake a cake.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 12 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

XJay - whether I like how you post or not (I don't) it's a free country, a free forum and I post what I like and so expect and encourage others to do the same.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 12 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 12 2012, 05:42 PM) *
XJay - whether I like how you post or not (I don't) it's a free country, a free forum and I post what I like and so expect and encourage others to do the same.

Hear, hear, and I could have written this line myself.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 12 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 12 2012, 05:42 PM) *

I agree! laugh.gif Except if it's a really annoying person who says innit bruv at the end of every sentance.
"lyk i fink dizzz site should be banned init bruv" - no, go away. Shun.

+Quote Post
tia
post Feb 12 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 12 2012, 03:59 AM) *

Actually I do care a lot, Newbury was and I still regard it as my home and will shortly be returning. Newbury in it's day was a beautiful town, before outsiders came in and 'improved' it. The town was always busy and prosperous, If you walked the street you generally knew at least one person you passed. You always got a service from shopkeepers and market stall holders, not many of them are now local, (probably priced out of business with the rent for a site) .I used to have the NWN sent to me and when this stopped I went onto the website. I learnt to use a computer in Newbury and I don't spend all my time reading forums I read the news. When I saw the details about Sterling Cables, I made my comment about the Gas works out of concern, not to be mimicked by someone who will make an objective comment for the fun of it and probably couldn't care less about the issue.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Feb 13 2012, 03:47 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (tia @ Feb 12 2012, 11:27 PM) *
Actually I do care a lot, Newbury was and I still regard it as my home and will shortly be returning. Newbury in it's day was a beautiful town, before outsiders came in and 'improved' it.

It's Newbury, not Royston Vasey.

I'd argue it still is a beautiful town. It just needs people to look beyond Northbrook St, Park Way etc.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 13 2012, 07:26 AM
Post #17

Guests

Yeah those pesky immigrants, stealing our jobs, ruining our town...rolleyes.gif As Darren says, outside of the areas where the rif-raf congregate, Newbury isn't all that bad.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 13 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

The town is still busy, prosperous and when I walk through it I often know at least one person that I pass.

It's a bit rich to live miles away and complain about outsiders coming to settle in Newbury.

Perhaps those "ingenious" to the area you live in might say the same of you?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 13 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

A beautiful town, Newbury ... where? It's never been beautiful. tongue.gif

It's a former run-of-the-mill market town that now looks like any other former run-of-the-mill market town that's had new shopping centres built, knitted together with the de rigueur paving paid for by the ostentatious 00s consumer boom. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 13 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

It's a hole, a hole that you can't even drive through quickly.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:43 PM