IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greenham Common control tower, an appalling eyesore..., .. why are Libdems making idiots of themselves trying to save this?
Richard Garvie
post Jun 17 2013, 06:30 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 17 2013, 05:58 PM) *
I did say local councils

So a PC has no such actual legally defined role, but if they are the only ones who actually want to save a little bit of heritage so what.

I don't care if they do have the 'power' or not. If the local council wants to off load what must be a drain on resources to a group who want to turn that state of affairs around and if it happens that GPC are the only people who have the balls to come up with a viable plan to save the tower best of luck to them.

There is an Aussie businessman trying to secure the site as a war memorial and cafe. Better option in my opinion, and if he pays more for the site it's a win / win.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 17 2013, 06:32 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 17 2013, 07:29 PM) *
If only the people signing the petition realised that the "private" bidder wants to turn it into a war museum and cafe... Swift Hook is also keeping quiet about the fact that hundreds of thousands of pounds will also need to be mortgaged by GPC to fund the works... it's 'The Priory' all over again, another Lib Dem scheme to thwart a community minded individual from doing something in the public interest.

I personally see all of this as empire building by the Lib Dems. Buy a disused building with one mortgage, and then take out a second mortgage to fix it up. They then blasted the council for letting a not for profit run the commons etc. (no doubt Swift Hook has been eyeing these up too). And they even have the cheek to blast the district council for investing additional money in our roads (whilst calling on residents to report pot holes to them!!). Lib Dems = politically, morally and soon to be financially (at our cost) bankrupt.

I do love this forum.

I don't agree with it so it must be some kind of evil plan.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 17 2013, 06:42 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I sincerely hope the 'Australian' bit isn't true. If it is, it just confirms everything I've come to believe about local politics round here. I think you wondered earlier why no 'groups of interested individuals' did anything these days. Herein you have your answer! Some of us have been bitten, and not just once.

Know your place!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 17 2013, 07:13 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 17 2013, 07:30 PM) *
There is an Aussie businessman trying to secure the site as a war memorial and cafe. Better option in my opinion, and if he pays more for the site it's a win / win.

You mean selling off more publicly owned assets to the highest bidder?

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Jun 17 2013, 07:32 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

War memorial and cafe? What a bizarre idea. I suppose we should be thankful he's not proposing a war memorial and lap dancing joint.

Get rid of the fecking carbuncle - it makes no more sense to preserve it than it would have done to preserve the runways.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jun 17 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 17 2013, 07:29 PM) *
Lib Dems = politically, morally and soon to be financially (at our cost) bankrupt.

At least they are only doing it at local level - unlike Labour who helped bankrupt the whole country!!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 17 2013, 07:51 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Jun 17 2013, 08:32 PM) *
War memorial and cafe? What a bizarre idea. I suppose we should be thankful he's not proposing a war memorial and lap dancing joint.

Get rid of the fecking carbuncle - it makes no more sense to preserve it than it would have done to preserve the runways.

I could be wrong, but perhaps Richard didn't mean war memorial as such, but more of a museum and interpretation centre for the base and possibly the whole of the cold-war. I'm not convinced there is a sound commercial case for that, but if I'm not putting up the money that's not particularly my worry if a commercial organisation wants to give it a go. I drive the 40 minutes to the Army Flying museum at the Wallops just to have lunch in the cafe there, so I'd certainly visit a similar attraction at Greenham. I wouldn't want to pay to go into the museum each time though.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 17 2013, 08:22 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

I've certainly not got anything against private cash or indeed a cafe / visitor centre museum. If someone is putting up the cash - that means the news story is simply 'Businessman in bid to save Control Tower.

If that really is the case can we please stop all the political posturing and histrionics; that just makes the perpetrators look cynical 'party before people' operators.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 17 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Keeping the runways would have made sense were it not for they being used as hardcore for the Newbury bypass. I'd be happy to see the control tower remain as an observation tower, accept it makes for easy viewing of the other carbuncle directly opposite.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 17 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

If someone is putting up the cash - that means the news story is simply 'Businessman in bid to save Control Tower.

as in 'Pension Fund In Bid To Save Town Centre'.........

sorry, couldn't resist it.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 17 2013, 10:21 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 17 2013, 11:01 PM) *
If someone is putting up the cash - that means the news story is simply 'Businessman in bid to save Control Tower.

as in 'Pension Fund In Bid To Save Town Centre'.........

sorry, couldn't resist it.

Read the rest, if they'd done that on their own initiative, no issue. In other words the free market works without the dead hand of local politicians.

Couldn't resist that either wink.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 17 2013, 10:23 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

In all examples I fear land is surrendered to private concerns.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 17 2013, 11:17 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

And then, when the cafe/museum concept doesn't get off the ground he turns it into a house and sells it on at a profit.

Always assuming he is the highest bidder in the first place.

Once it's sold it's fate is largely down to the owner. Personally I'd rather see it demolished than the precedent is set for selling off bits of the common for housing.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 17 2013, 11:23 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 17 2013, 11:21 PM) *
Read the rest, if they'd done that on their own initiative, no issue. In other words the free market works without the dead hand of local politicians.

Couldn't resist that either wink.gif

Are you saying the Pension Fund came calling?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 18 2013, 06:12 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 18 2013, 12:23 AM) *
Are you saying the Pension Fund came calling?

Surely we didn't ask! Might have been a better deal if we'd let a real development firm make an offer. Trouble is, we know very little, transparency isn't a value these days.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 18 2013, 08:44 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jun 17 2013, 11:17 PM) *
And then, when the cafe/museum concept doesn't get off the ground he turns it into a house and sells it on at a profit.

Always assuming he is the highest bidder in the first place.

Once it's sold it's fate is largely down to the owner. Personally I'd rather see it demolished than the precedent is set for selling off bits of the common for housing.

Come on J, you know that you can insert covenants to protect what the site can and can't be used for.

Personally, if we are to choose between a Swift Hook led museum which is paid for by two mortgages at the expense of Greenham residents or a privately funded / community orientated project, I'd go for the latter. Let's not forget that the Lib Dems recently blasted the council for adopting a Labour manifesto pledge from 2011 which will see the commons and country parks run by a not for profit organisation which will save the taxpayer money. It will also ensure that the area's are better cared for and dare I say it "loved".

There is so much rubbish coming out of Lib Dem HQ at the moment, and none of it makes any sense. Looking beneath the lines, it's just more opportunistic political point scoring as they have no real idea's or policy suggestions of their own!!

Just on a seperate note, the Lib Dems are backing the giving away of the Market Street land (read back through the NWN archives from a few weeks ago) yet they are trying to use that one against the Tories too. Only Labour are standing up with a consistant message here: Do not give away public assets for no financial / economic gain to the taxpayer.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jun 18 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Jun 17 2013, 08:32 PM) *

You must be trolling..
Whatever you say, it IS a part of our heritage, no matter how distasteful, it should be preserved. Go to St. Helier. The people there suffered terribly during the second world war, yet you will still see german gun emplacements in Elizabeth castle. It's just another chapter of that locations history. What appears to be crap now to you , is history to our future generations.

Why don't you start a demolition company and use Donnington castle as hardcore for the driveway to your decking covered garden!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 19 2013, 06:35 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 18 2013, 09:44 PM) *
Come on J, you know that you can insert covenants to protect what the site can and can't be used for.

And what conditions are WBC actually attaching to this sale?

PS I see you persist in your delusion as to my identity.

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Jun 19 2013, 04:18 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jun 18 2013, 10:40 PM) *
You must be trolling..
Whatever you say, it IS a part of our heritage, no matter how distasteful, it should be preserved. Go to St. Helier. The people there suffered terribly during the second world war, yet you will still see german gun emplacements in Elizabeth castle. It's just another chapter of that locations history. What appears to be crap now to you , is history to our future generations.

Why don't you start a demolition company and use Donnington castle as hardcore for the driveway to your decking covered garden!

If I was trolling would I be replying to your badly written post? The thing is a worthless, ugly and irrelevant eyesore and, unlike Jersey's gun emplacements, would be very easy to demolish. Get rid of it and use the hardcore to fill in the huge holes in the car park.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:03 PM