Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Town Council Signal Precept Increase
Simon Kirby
post Nov 9 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Newbury Town Council announced in a press release that they haven't yet awarded their grounds maintenance contract. I assume there must be some point in announcing this so I think the idea is to get it out there that 1. they're going to award the contract to the previous contractor, 2. it'll cost more than before, and 3. the precept will be going up.

Last year saw a 6% real terms increase in the precept and over the last six years it's crept up by 12.4% in real terms all without the Council actually doing anything more. It's not difficult to find 33% of savings on the precept which actually improve the community without losing any of the services so I find it depressing to see the Council signalling business as usual.

It's also a bit odd to see the Council bigging up their current grounds maintenance contractor when the selection process needs to be seen to be impartial.
The work of the current contractor is often praised, particularly with regard to litter clearance and the floral displays.

gushes the press release, but it's the Council themselves that heap the praise. An objective test would be to see how well we do in Britain in Bloom, and sad to say we pulled out of the scheme because we were judged to be doing so miserably.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Nov 9 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

Not sure what the point is. The new £280k contract doesn't start until April 2011. The deadline for tenders was 8 Sept 2010, and the next Policy & Resources Committee is end of Nov.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 10 2010, 12:07 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Nov 9 2010, 05:37 PM) *
Newbury Town Council announced in a press release that they haven't yet awarded their grounds maintenance contract. I assume there must be some point in announcing this so I think the idea is to get it out there that 1. they're going to award the contract to the previous contractor, 2. it'll cost more than before, and 3. the precept will be going up.

Last year saw a 6% real terms increase in the precept and over the last six years it's crept up by 12.4% in real terms all without the Council actually doing anything more. It's not difficult to find 33% of savings on the precept which actually improve the community without losing any of the services so I find it depressing to see the Council signalling business as usual.

It's also a bit odd to see the Council bigging up their current grounds maintenance contractor when the selection process needs to be seen to be impartial.

gushes the press release, but it's the Council themselves that heap the praise. An objective test would be to see how well we do in Britain in Bloom, and sad to say we pulled out of the scheme because we were judged to be doing so miserably.

noting your response in the ****s thread, should WBC be bothering with floral displays at all?

Library or a load of pansies on the kerb side.....

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 10 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Bofem @ Nov 9 2010, 10:21 PM) *
Not sure what the point is. The new £280k contract doesn't start until April 2011. The deadline for tenders was 8 Sept 2010, and the next Policy & Resources Committee is end of Nov.

Don't start Simon Kirby on time windows!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 10 2010, 12:15 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 10 2010, 12:08 AM) *
Don't start Simon Kirby on time windows!

Funny how a piddling fiscal rise in the cost of a subsidised ammenity only availaible to a few can cause so much rancour.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 10 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 10 2010, 12:15 AM) *
Funny how a piddling fiscal rise in the cost of a subsidised ammenity only availaible to a few can cause so much rancour.

Yes, but to be fair, I suspect it was a matter of principle than anything else.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 10 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 10 2010, 12:22 AM) *
Yes, but to be fair, I suspect it was a matter of principle than anything else.

If I can be Stadler, do you want to be Waldorf?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 10 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 10 2010, 12:25 AM) *
If I can be Stadler, do you want to be Waldorf?

*In unison* Hogh, hogh, hogh, hogh!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:04 AM