Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parkrun - local running (or walking) for fun
spartacus
post Jul 7 2012, 02:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

It's been complained about before when the lowering standards of the NWN were being discussed Is the NWN worth the paper it's printed on? (discuss) but I was at a local event again today which gets little publicity locally other than word of mouth as far as I can tell and I feel it's my duty to get wider publicity (Perhaps admin can advise whether it has been covered in NWN?). I've been most impressed with the whole set-up of it. One of our members on here (Rach E) started it up as a 'Newbury event' but I think it needs more exposure locally and I think NWN could help out further.

Parkrun is a low-key, short course running event that's run nationally, weekly and is aimed at ALL standards of runners (and non-runners) from the fit racing-snakes to the fat lumps who can hardly bend over to pull on running shoes (my category) and all ages from 70s through to youngsters. It's entirely run by volunteers and is FREE to take part in.

Today, this morning at 9am in the bucketing rain, the event at Greenham Common still had 170 people turning up for the 5km course. About 20 kids under 14, a few running with their dogs, someone running with their pram (a pushchair built for off-roading by the look of it) and plenty of people just turning up for a gentle jog around the course. Social running...

All you have to do is register yourself on the Parkrun website Parkrun.org.uk and this gives you your personal barcode which can be used at any event in the future. Turn up at Greenham Park (Venture West building) it's all well signed by the volunteer team ready for the 9am start on Saturdays and have a regular reason to get out of bed. 5kms, it's not that far. 30-40mins tops even for the less fit. The barcode you get ensures that your time is recorded and the results are on the website within hours.

Personally I need to lose weight. Running on the spot on a treadmill in a sweaty gym doesn't appeal. A regular short-ish run, with no pressure to 'perform' is just the ticket to get me slightly fitter and help lose the gut. Having my times and 'personal best' recorded on the website with everyone else is just the sort of thing I need to help me along and gives small personal challenges to try and improve for next week..

What are you waiting for? See you next week? (And perhaps someone from NWN?)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 7 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Absolutely, top post spartacus. Mrs K. runs it regularly (though she whimped out in today's rain), and it is a top event. My neighbour runs it too and is badgering me to do it. It is extremely well organised and the event deserves more coverage.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:14 AM