IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Badgers, Badgers Going The Way Of The Urban Fox?
x2lls
post Jan 6 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 511

Hi all,
I've recently discovered a sett in the garden,and when I say garden I mean 25 paces from the back door!!. We've had a lot of damage done to the lawn, and so have a few of our neighbours. Are there any more of you out there who have similar experience?
We thought that badgers were a shy creature, so to discover that we are hosting a family so close to the house is a great surprise.

PS:- We are in Stoney Lane, Shaw

--------------------
There their, loose loser!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jan 6 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

[quote name='x2lls' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:06 PM' post='13038']
Hi all,
I've recently discovered a sett in the garden,and when I say garden I mean 25 paces from the back door!!. We've had a lot of damage done to the lawn, and so have a few of our neighbours. Are there any more of you out there who have similar experience?
We thought that badgers were a shy creature, so to discover that we are hosting a family so close to the house is a great surprise.

PS:- We are in Stoney Lane, Shaw

/quote]

Good for you - suggest you contact NWN and ask to be put in touch with their nature reporter whose name, sadly, escapes me for the mo. She's lovely and I'm sure will be very interested

PS I've never seen a live badger - you are a lucky chap!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jan 6 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

/quote]

Good for you - suggest you contact NWN and ask to be put in touch with their nature reporter whose name, sadly, escapes me for the mo. She's lovely and I'm sure will be very interested

[/quote]

Thanks for that, we felt the same initially. It's a mixed emotion because we are very keen gardeners and wildlife lovers too. We have a plot at the end of the garden that we were hoping to convert to a small nature reserve. problem we have is that they are destroying any effort we make. We've considered electric fences, mesh in the ground, but all very expensive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jan 6 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jan 6 2010, 08:44 PM) *
/quote]

Thanks for that, we felt the same initially. It's a mixed emotion because we are very keen gardeners and wildlife lovers too. We have a plot at the end of the garden that we were hoping to convert to a small nature reserve. problem we have is that they are destroying any effort we make. We've considered electric fences, mesh in the ground, but all very expensive.

The grey matter has finally kicked in, her name is Nicola Chester - please let us know how you get on

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jan 6 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Ta 4 that

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jan 6 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I see a Badger Watch coming on smile.gif

Give it a few weeks and you should start seeing signs of young too.

+Quote Post
hamster
post Jan 7 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 139

When I lived in Manor Park (Henwick) we had a badger visit the garden reguarly, it attacked our cat once, nasty wounds around her backside! in fact we had deers and foxes appear occasionally there too, there was more wildlife on that estate than I have ever seen out here in Hermitage!

+Quote Post
regor
post Jan 7 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

Look out X2lls

I see an angry farmer with a shotgun heading your way.

And he has his lawyer with him who wants you to pay damages because his cows all have TB that they must have caught from your badgers.

In fact that looks like the anti-terrorist police following him because you may have committed economic sabotage with your disease ridden badgers.

Run for the hills! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jan 7 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

How lovely - any pics? I was surprised the other morning by a grouse and a moorhen in the garden (Shaw area).

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jan 7 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jan 7 2010, 06:45 PM) *
How lovely - any pics? I was surprised the other morning by a grouse and a moorhen in the garden (Shaw area).

I have one short video, but it is 10mb in size so cannot be uploaded here. If your mail client will allow files that size I will gladly mail it. Just message me your addy and I'll try to send it. That applies to anyone else too if interested. I am planning to set up a camera on the sett entrance and hopefully set it up to enable viewing across the net.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 7 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jan 7 2010, 07:23 PM) *
I have one short video, but it is 10mb in size so cannot be uploaded here. If your mail client will allow files that size I will gladly mail it. Just message me your addy and I'll try to send it. That applies to anyone else too if interested. I am planning to set up a camera on the sett entrance and hopefully set it up to enable viewing across the net.

Youtube?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 7 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Badgers.... I'd prefer to see one put to good use in a shaving brush..... And as if the rural 'myth' (?) that they spread TB wasn't bad enough, there was that annoying brummie in The Apprentice who gave them a REALLY bad name.... rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, a badger sett very close to your house could be bad news. They'll be causing havoc with your dustbins searching for food, destroying the compost heap if that's where you chuck 'green' food scraps, will make a real mess of any garden you hope to have, and if ickle baby badgers appear they can become very aggressive. (Watch out if you have cats, dogs or small children)

Occasionally (if very close to a house) the burrowing can cause problems with the structure of a building (more likely no more than putting a few dips in your patio maybe....)

This site will give you some ideas if you want them moved on humanely or want to know how to coexist...
http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpages/eura...-badger-57.html

This site may help if you're not bovvered....
http://www.badger-baiting-for-kicks.co.uk

While we're talking about wildlife though, have you seen the black swan on the canal in town. Native of Australia normally, the poor fella looks a bit lost.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 7 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

The problem with 'moving them along' using low voltage electric fence is that the badger has such thick fur, which acts as an insulator, that you'd have to use a strong energiser so that they actually feel the impact from the current. Use wires and they'd have to be strong rather than polywire and it starts to look ugly in your garden.

I don't go with the "Aw... Badgers in your garden .... How lovely.." business. Fine if you have half an acre but medium sized garden? No chance, unless you want to give up part of your garden...

I assume you'd feel slightly different if you found rats in your garden? None of this "Aw.... How lovely" then!

"Dig 'em out!" I say....

I put up with the hedgehogs that live at the end of my garden as they gobble up the slugs. If a badger appeared I'd be dusting off the shotgun.....

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 8 2010, 08:42 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Thank you farmer Giles. "Only one way to get rid of a Mole...blow its bloody head off!". tongue.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jan 8 2010, 11:08 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 7 2010, 07:33 PM) *
Youtube?

Not the best quality, but as suggested....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZSyH8JRaNk

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 8 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jan 8 2010, 11:08 AM) *
Not the best quality, but as suggested.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZSyH8JRaNk

Good work. Try to keep your hand steady by using a broom handle to rest on, or something like that.

Cheers. A nice break from snow, gritting, bollards, WBC, etc...

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jan 8 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

http://www.nfbg.org.uk/_Attachments/Resources/55_S4.pdf

Important point there is that a badger's sett is protected under law. Destroying badger setts etc. can only be be done under a DEFRA licence.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jan 8 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

OK lets get a few things straight regarding Mr Brock.
Their underground sets are huge labyrinths and tend to be in soil that is free draining and handy for foraging but away from built up areas.

Anyone who interferes with the set in anyway or form without a licence will find themselves up before the beak in very short time. This includes local farmers. Though they tend to eat worms , beetles etc , the dustbin at the end of the garden looks very tempting.
Tuberculosis is a real problem within the badger population , but the primary source is probably bovine as opposed to mustelidae .
Yes they may well dig up your front lawn but the sight of them frolicking about on a late spring evening is worth 100 lawns. So enjoy.

A cautionary note though , their is an undesirable element within our society who think it's rather sporting to dig these hapless creatures out their set , break their jaw and use them for baiting with dogs for gambling purposes.
I add this as a warning to the good people of Stoney Lane who may divulge the whereabouts of this set in all innocence to the wrong people.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 8 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 8 2010, 04:36 PM) *
(snip) ...but the sight of them frolicking about on a late spring evening is worth 100 lawns.
As long as they're other people's lawns though, eh Lordtup? wink.gif

Mr Brock is also a creature of habit. Allow him to take a foothold in your garden and you'll have a lot of trouble shifting him on of his own accord. Sect 3 of The Protection of Badgers Act 1992 details the prosecutable offences for interfering with setts. Article 7 gives the exemptions allowing you to interfere.
legal badger nonsense

Oddly, you're allowed to place "a bundle of sticks or faggots " at the entrance provided you don't pack them in there hard. Faggots??!
Is that with or without gravy?

Anyway, I withdraw some of my earlier comments.... they are after all such cuddly little creatures......

EDIT: Expanding on your knowledge of 'Units of Measurement', a 'Faggot' is a traditional (archaic) unit of volume for firewood. A faggot was 3 feet in length and 2 feet in circumference; this is a volume of about 0.955 cubic feet or 27 liters. There are about 134 faggots in a cord.

What's a 'cord'?

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jan 8 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jan 8 2010, 09:46 PM) *
What's a 'cord'?

134 faggots, obviously.

Actually 128 cu ft of wood cut for burning

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:16 AM