NWNREADER
post Sep 26 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,265

I've only just noticed this consultation:
Museum link building

The choice of architect will doubtless be a surprise, but I wonder what people think of the proposed building?

My quick reaction is it is not 'right', and keeps the two old buildings apart rather than links them together....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 26 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Would like to see the detailled plans when they come out. However, almost anything would be better than the faux architecture that it will replace; a late 1930's shed! With luck, we'll get a facility that is worthy of the Town when it arrives.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 26 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 26 2011, 01:49 PM) *
Would like to see the detailled plans when they come out. However, almost anything would be better than the faux architecture that it will replace; a late 1930's shed! With luck, we'll get a facility that is worthy of the Town when it arrives.

The consultation is now, and the detailed plans will be based on the outcome. The 1934 extension has to go as it is worn out and cannot accommodate what is needed. What come in its place should be something to last as long as the original buildings and not fall out of favour in 70 yrs.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 26 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Sep 26 2011, 11:15 AM) *
I've only just noticed this consultation:
Museum link building

The choice of architect will doubtless be a surprise, but I wonder what people think of the proposed building?

My quick reaction is it is not 'right', and keeps the two old buildings apart rather than links them together....

Pretty standard 'glass box' approach to conjoining two vernacular buildings of a certain age.

What I'd expect really.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 26 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 26 2011, 08:55 PM) *
Pretty standard 'glass box' approach to conjoining two vernacular buildings of a certain age.

What I'd expect really.

Nothing wrong with that - if it meets expectations and we get our museum, it will get my vote!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Sep 27 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 26 2011, 01:49 PM) *

Here, let me google that for you. (can be slow loading)

Newbury Museum Project

It's lazy, pedestrian and unimaginative. The people of Newbury deserve something a little better for that money.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 27 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Sep 27 2011, 08:42 AM) *

Newbury Museum Project

It's lazy, pedestrian and unimaginative. The people of Newbury deserve something a little better for that money.

Bad news, I'm afraid..... agreeing with me can be fatal.......

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 27 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 26 2011, 08:55 PM) *
Pretty standard 'glass box' approach to conjoining two vernacular buildings of a certain age. What I'd expect really.

I'd say disparate, before vernacular. I'm not sure anything would look right in that 'gap'.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 27 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Any half competent architect with a decent brief could design a building that merged the two ancient structures with sensitivity. It doesn't need to be faux Tudor, but neither does it need to be bog-standard greenhouse.
The French are very good at slotting new buildings between old ones so the lines flow and merge.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 27 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 27 2011, 10:47 AM) *
I'd say disparate, before vernacular. I'm not sure anything would look right in that 'gap'.

The architetural norm it to create a juxtaposition between the old & the new. The two buildings have to be joined & architects want their work to be applauded & noticed. It is their raison d'etre.

Otherwise you get what we have now - a pastcihe which few realise isn't part of the original design.

+Quote Post
Jay Sands
post Sep 27 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 894

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Sep 27 2011, 08:42 AM) *

Newbury Museum Project

It's also completely out of place and it looks awful. I would have thought there were enough ugly buildings in Newbury already without adding to them (e.g. telephone exchange). Is that design really the best an architect can come up with?

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Sep 27 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Sep 27 2011, 08:46 AM) *
Bad news, I'm afraid..... agreeing with me can be fatal.......

Not really, we all knew that sooner or later you'd be right about something.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 27 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jay Sands @ Sep 27 2011, 11:50 AM) *
It's also completely out of place and it looks awful. I would have thought there were enough ugly buildings in Newbury already without adding to them (e.g. telephone exchange). Is that design really the best an architect can come up with?

Its a difficult job; beauty in the eye of the beholder etc. Of recent date has there been one central new build that satisfies everyone? Kennet Centre refresh, Cinema, Park Way, St Barts etc. I can't see much wrong with the proposal - OK, may be uninspiring and not particularly different. That means it doesn't detract much from the two historic buildings it connects. Has anyone here any other ideas that would satisfy a majority?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 27 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I don't have any issue with the look of the current structure.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Sep 27 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 27 2011, 03:31 PM) *
Has anyone here any other ideas that would satisfy a majority?

Yes, put it out to competition. Lets say, half a dozen architects submit designs, put the models on show, let people have a look and THEN decide. Put them on tables in Nortbrook Street on a Saturday morning, put them the market place, the Northcroft centre, outside the station, anywhere where the people go. That way, WBC are fire-proof. They can legitimately claim 'it was nowt to do with us' if it goes belly up. But at least the people would have spoken. Or at the very least have been given a chance to speak and study and air their views.
If they choose not to, fair enough, that's up to them, if the people can't be ar55ed, fair enough, they'll get what they deserve.

But they should be given the opportunity to look at what's on offer first.

This is just being foisted upon us. It seems a shame some people aquiesce quite so easily.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 27 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I'd still like to see the brief the architects have worked to

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 27 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Sep 27 2011, 04:19 PM) *
Yes, put it out to competition. Lets say, half a dozen architects submit designs, put the models on show, let people have a look and THEN decide. Put them on tables in Nortbrook Street on a Saturday morning, put them the market place, the Northcroft centre, outside the station, anywhere where the people go. That way, WBC are fire-proof. They can legitimately claim 'it was nowt to do with us' if it goes belly up. But at least the people would have spoken. Or at the very least have been given a chance to speak and study and air their views.
If they choose not to, fair enough, that's up to them, if the people can't be ar55ed, fair enough, they'll get what they deserve.

But they should be given the opportunity to look at what's on offer first.

This is just being foisted upon us. It seems a shame some people aquiesce quite so easily.

And this way you end up with a pie in the sky design costing ££££, not to mention the cost of submitting all those designs & showcasing them in the first place. Far better to chose an architect, give them a budget & a brief & get them to design something.

Architects have better things to do than waste time & money on competitions they stand little actual chance of winning.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 27 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Why not give the design job to a collage, or similar?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 27 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 27 2011, 06:57 PM) *
Why not give the design job to a collage, or similar?

Some might argue collage is what we're gettig....

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 27 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I don't really have an opinion. I don't live there. I grew up there. I go with Andy Capps' response #13.

Tudors refaced buildings, Palladians added bits, Georgians added Stucco and sash windows.
I think the present building looks a bit old Newbury. Hundreds of huge buildings are being destroyed inside whilst the outside protected frontage is held up by gargantuan scaffolding. That's in my neck of the woods.
I hope I don't sound like Grand Designs. The present building could have a lift installed, toilets.Easy Peasy.
Surely the Parkway is statement enough. ...So many landmark buldings have found new use by a simple change.
ce

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:06 PM