Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Berkshire County Show-Chieveley Showground, More Government waste
gel
post Sep 20 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

What a good example of Government wasteful spending we saw at the County Show with a large display from HMRC, yes the taxman.
Not surprisingly it was very quiet/had few visitors. blink.gif

Any commercial organisation would set commercial goals to justify such expenditure, but of course as it's the taxpayer's cash, they don't have to justify value for money.

The BBC Berkshire stand was supposed to have 3 personalities on at mid day yesterday; however the only one who had bothered to make the effort to get to the Showground was Debbie McGee, Paul Daniel's other half.

They've been very lucky with the weather both days.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Sep 20 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Suppose you could say the same about the fire brigade stand, the police stand, the armed forces!

+Quote Post
gel
post Sep 20 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

NO; WE NEED TO reduce this government's out of control expenditure.
Every area needs reviewing.
There ae rumours of a 3p hike in Income Tax to help pay off enormous debts UK plc has rung up, courtesy of Brown/Darling.

The Fire Brigade are promoting Community Fire Safety, and have car extraction demos;
that is justifiable.

The Rural Policing Bus there was odd, as the vehicle was Hampshire Constabulary, who have
no standing in Berkshire. Perhaps TVP had theirs too, but reaching out to local communities is part of their remit.

What demos could the taxman put on; the money they spent could be better used elsewhere
or just saved fullstop!

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Sep 20 2009, 04:36 PM) *
Suppose you could say the same about the fire brigade stand, the police stand, the armed forces!

+Quote Post
gel
post Sep 20 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Sep 20 2009, 05:04 PM) *
NO; WE NEED TO reduce this government's out of control expenditure.
Every area needs reviewing.
There are rumours of a 3p hike in Income Tax to help pay off enormous debts UK plc has rung up, courtesy of Brown/Darling.

The Fire Brigade are promoting Community Fire Safety, and have car extraction demos;
that is justifiable.

The Rural Policing Bus there was odd, as the vehicle was Hampshire Constabulary, who have
no standing in Berkshire. Perhaps TVP had theirs too, but reaching out to local communities is part of their remit.

What demos could the taxman put on; the money they spent could be better used elsewhere
or just saved fullstop!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 20 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Possibly that TVP were a little busy today, what with providing policing for inside the ground and outside managing the traffic flows?

Just because it's held in West Berkshire, doesn't mean it has to West Berkshire-centric. It's just as much the North Hampshire Show.

HMRC isn't just about collecting revenue, they are manadated to providing advise to tax payers. How do you know they didn't advise a farmer on his tax liabilities when buying/leasing a new tractor? It's important that government departments come out from behind their desks and, as you put it, reach out to local communities.

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 20 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

or just saved fullstop!
What your saying here is that the taxman shouldn't spend money advising us all about the taxes we pay.

I'd have to disagree with this, and I think they're right to advise the general public at places like this, rather then us having to visit them all the time.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Sep 20 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Darren @ Sep 20 2009, 05:40 PM) *
Possibly that TVP were a little busy today, what with providing policing for inside the ground and outside managing the traffic flows?

Just because it's held in West Berkshire, doesn't mean it has to West Berkshire-centric. It's just as much the North Hampshire Show.

HMRC isn't just about collecting revenue, they are manadated to providing advise to tax payers. How do you know they didn't advise a farmer on his tax liabilities when buying/leasing a new tractor? It's important that government departments come out from behind their desks and, as you put it, reach out to local communities.

Exactly the point I was trying to make, farmers are self employed (the majority anyway) they need advise on tax returns etc. I didnt say it as I wanted Gel to think about it themselves.

I certainly would have been speaking to them, my partner has just started a new business along side his full time job. We have had so much info about paying tax etc that it's really very confusing.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Sep 20 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Sep 20 2009, 04:36 PM) *

Why not ground the Battle of Britain Memorial flight - that would save a few sovs and please some killjoys? Dear G0d, what a dreary country some people would have us become.

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 20 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Sep 20 2009, 06:45 PM) *
Why not ground the Battle of Britain Memorial flight - that would save a few sovs and please some killjoys? Dear G0d, what a dreary country some people would have us become.
Indeed, why have the show altogether?

I'm sure all that went could have saved a few pennies by not going.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 20 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 20 2009, 07:01 PM) *
Indeed, why have the show altogether?

I'm sure all that went could have saved a few pennies by not going.

Funny you should say that as we haven't been for a few years, but it had very much the same stands as of the last visit .
I am not complaining as we enjoyed ambling round the grounds for 4 or 5 hours but at £15 a head it does pose the question , why is it so expensive ? Considering the thousands that go through the turnstiles one would have thought £8 / head would be a fairer figure .

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 20 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I suspect, like any big public event, the white mans burden - insurance.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Sep 20 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Darren @ Sep 20 2009, 08:07 PM) *
I suspect, like any big public event, the white mans burden - insurance.

Probably right, the world is going mad in respect of insurance, was talking to an old pilot on Thursday and he tells me airshows are now blighted with this problem.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 21 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Darren @ Sep 20 2009, 08:07 PM) *
the white mans burden.

Can he say that? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 21 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

http://www.thegoonshow.co.uk/goonabase/episode.php?id=81 tongue.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 21 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (Darren @ Sep 21 2009, 11:02 AM) *

Can't recall the episode , but would love to hear it .
They ( the goons) really were at the zenith of comedy .
laugh.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
KF2009
post Sep 23 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 354

I have to say I went to the stand while at the show and got some fantastic face to face advice regarding maternity pay and rights.
Whilst it's not always deemed 'suitable' to be at certain events, sometimes they go along because its about the masses rather than the suitability.

There is no way I could have got the information so clearly from the internet, and nor could a standard document answer questions specific to me so I say well done on being at the show, and I for one found it very useful and informative!

and No I dont work for HMRC wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:30 AM