Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jongleurs
spartacus
post Feb 11 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

Anyone go to the Corn Exchange for the Jongleurs act last night? (Friday)

If you didn't, you missed a treat... Brilliant comedy by three comedians (and a great compere) I'd never heard of before.. First time I've been and I'd definitely go again... The second act (girl with the guitar and the funny songs) was great and the main act (the black 'Keeping it real innit' guy) was another I'd go and see again...

Just wanted to know if anyone caught the names of the acts?

The next Jongleurs event is Fri 23 March... Book early to avoid disappointment.... (Hopefully "Dan who lives at home with his mum" won't be sitting near the front again - if you were there you'll know what I mean..... )
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 11 2012, 11:18 PM
Post #2

Guests

I didn't go.
I was out doing far more interesting things, like dogging at McDonalds car park. It's interesting you mention Dan who lives at home with his Mum. I work with just a fellow. A sound chap.

Although just like a night at Spearmint Rhino, it sounds like you had a rounded evenings entertainment so perhaps I will look into going if the prices are not too expensive, being a yoof and all.

Do they let trainers into the theatre?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 12 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Here's some crayons.... Keep yourself occupied while the adults have a chat, there's a good boy.......

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 11 2012, 11:18 PM) *
Do they let trainers into the theatre?
If you're not potty trained they won't let you in... ask your mum why not.... They may have a creche mind....

Now, did any adults go?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 12 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 11 2012, 10:56 PM) *
Anyone go to the Corn Exchange for the Jongleurs act last night? (Friday) If you didn't, you missed a treat... Brilliant comedy by three comedians (and a great compere) I'd never heard of before.. First time I've been and I'd definitely go again... The second act (girl with the guitar and the funny songs) was great and the main act (the black 'Keeping it real innit' guy) was another I'd go and see again...

We used to go when we were yooffs (well in our 20s going 30 odd), and it was usually a good night out.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 12 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

The only time I went to a Jongleurs Comedy Club was on a work do in Portsmouth.
I found the comedians rude, offensive and unfunny, with racist jokes and pots against disabled people which I found even more disturbing.
I was not the only one in the audience who felt like this.
I am sure, Spartacus, that this was not the case in the show you saw but this experience put me off the name "Jongleurs" for ever.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 12 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 12 2012, 09:25 AM) *
Here's some crayons.... Keep yourself occupied while the adults have a chat, there's a good boy.......

I do not appreciate that, I am at the stage in life when all I draw with are Sharpies.

If you're not potty trained they won't let you in... ask your mum why not.... They may have a creche mind....

Never did need to be potty trained, when I popped out I was able to use a normal toilet almost immediately. If you ask your Mum she will validate that. laugh.gif I am unsure how being toilet trained equates to whether it is a black tie event.. Maybe I should wear my hipster shoes as a sort of compromise.
Can someone give me a link to this show and I will have a look at it online? and then decide if I shall visit..

Also a price for the entry would be nice.

Biker in response to your post it seems that a lot of comedy is now at the expense of someone else. Normally small children with learning difficulties or the disabled as you say, but after all if they bring joy to hundreds, surely it's OK? The days of comedy from the 70s and 80s, and the early 90's, such as that show with Delboy (genuinely forgot the name of it), Black Adder, etc, are over. Personally I do not find them funny anyway, it seems those from a previous generation who grew up with them did. The previous generations humour sucked which in many ways goes towards explaining some of the people on this forum!!

For example one of my fave comedians is Russell Howard, I find him a rounded character and he's full of energy and a broad spectrum of jokes. I saw him live and he was amazing (sort of like me in bed...in my dreams)

However I am also a fan of Frankie Boyle who obviously makes jokes out of any and everyone, racism, etc. Now I know it's only humour and very rarely meant with any malice however some people can not stomach the type of jokes, for whatever reason. Where as personally I find that sort of humour the funniest.

Of course we can't all find the same thing funny, 'lest life would get boring and dull, sort of like the Daily Mail's editorial staff - so it's OK that some choose to not laugh at the boy in a wheelchair who rolled into a dumpster, making jokes out of people and beliefs rather than out of events or objects. I personally find it funny but you may not. SThat's all good, it's called variety. Then you have comedians like Lee Mack and Michael McIntyre (I hate the mop haired chinese-lookalike man personally, his voice starts off really low and then goes really high, haha for like no reason whatsoever ha :'D) who provide a balanced entertainment, hopefully appealing to a wider audience.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Feb 12 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I went to a stag do at Battersea Jongleurs.
A nightmare.
An old theatrical mate ( Single then). In a divorcees fun night out.
Who could pull an old boyfriend ... It turns out he was 5th on her list.

The rubbish was of the sewer. The sound was deafening.
Annoying to me as I ran sound for West End Shows in earlier times.

Most of our group gritted teeth and held in there. Nice food though.
I had driven so I coudn't even get drunk.
Silly old fool went off to a lap dancing club with his brother after.
Still married though.( Not to the brother)
ce

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 12 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 12 2012, 02:36 PM) *
Biker in response to your post it seems that a lot of comedy is now at the expense of someone else. Normally small children with learning difficulties or the disabled as you say, but after all if they bring joy to hundreds, surely it's OK?

No - it's not!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 12 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #9

Guests

So are you against the humour which involves making a laugh at the expense of another person, or are you against humour because they are in some way Andy Capp'd in comparison to the "normal" people? So eg the disabled or the special needs...

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 12 2012, 08:37 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

No, it's only funny if you splash someone in a wheelchair by driving through a puddle.

(Casual readers may not "get" this wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 13 2012, 09:37 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 12 2012, 09:46 PM) *
So are you against the humour which involves making a laugh at the expense of another person, or are you against humour because they are in some way Andy Capp'd in comparison to the "normal" people? So eg the disabled or the special needs...

The latter.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 13 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 12 2012, 08:37 PM) *
No, it's only funny if you splash someone in a wheelchair by driving through a puddle.

(Casual readers may not "get" this wink.gif)

Nice one!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 13 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 13 2012, 09:37 AM) *
The latter.

So it's OK to laugh at people, as long as they don't need lollypops? Seems a bit double standard-ish to me. Either approve of laughing about everyone/thing or laugh about no-one. You can't go around excluding a whole section of the public because it seems a bit taboo to some.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 13 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 13 2012, 06:04 PM) *
So it's OK to laugh at people, as long as they don't need lollypops? Seems a bit double standard-ish to me. Either approve of laughing about everyone/thing or laugh about no-one. You can't go around excluding a whole section of the public because it seems a bit taboo to some.

I don't find it funny to laugh at people who have conditions that they have not been able to control, or experience something that they will not be able to easily recover from.

If someone slips-up and gathers a bruise on their bum for their troubles, that might make me laugh. If some slips up and cracks their head open, then I wouldn't find that funny.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 13 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #15

Guests

You see, you're too weak for this game.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 13 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 13 2012, 07:04 PM) *

I suppose you found Bernard Manning with his racist humour and Frankie Boyle (whose 2010 tour attracted negative media attention over a routine about Down's syndrome) funny also??

Anyone else find it OK to laugh at race / disability??
(Just out of interest as it seems, once again, I am in a minority.)

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 13 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I think it very much depends on the setting. Frankie Boyle I find quite funny, and i know what he is like, and what his material is about but do think it should be kept to private performances. The stuff he did on Channel 4 about Jordan's son for example was completely unacceptable, as anyone could have come across it. I am not saying it is OK to take the mickey out of people if they don't hear you, what I mean is if you go specifically to that type of comic, you are not likely to be offended as you know in advance what they are like.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 14 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 13 2012, 09:18 PM) *
I suppose you found Bernard Manning with his racist humour and Frankie Boyle (whose 2010 tour attracted negative media attention over a routine about Down's syndrome) funny also??

Anyone else find it OK to laugh at race / disability??
(Just out of interest as it seems, once again, I am in a minority.)

In short; yes.

I haven't seen this Bernard Manning reference you are making (showing my age here) but yes I laugh at racist jokes, and jokes about disabled people, and yes I make jokes about them too, at home, at work, with friends, basically everywhere except when I am professionally involved with a client, unless of course you are friendly with them and they have the same sort of sense of humour. By client I mean massage therapist, nothing to do with computers that.

Sorry but you can't say Ba Ba Black sheep anymore, it's ba ba rainbow sheep (so satisfying both the people of non-white origin and those who are homosexuals), or multicultural sheep, or blue sheep (it's ok just pick on the Smurfs now) or anything other than black.

Everything in this country is so taboo it's unbelievable. Personally I have no taboo subjects so I see no reason to be coy about it. Except crisps which aren't the real Mccoy...I love their crinkly, cripsy, strong flavours. I think they are on discount at Sainsburys.

As covered on this board before making a JOKE about a black man stealing a TV (FOR EXAMPLE MY GOD YOU BEARDED LOONIES I AM NOT RACIST OK) does not make you a racist nor does it make you in favour of racism...I mean come on, Dave Chappelle came up with half of the racist jokes around......and he's black. But a white person would never call a black person making a joke about a black person racist... only white people complain about white people making black people jokes. Apart from a select few black people who think because they're black everything that happens to them is racist. YOU ONLY GAVE ME FI-HUNDRED DOLLA CHIPS?

You see it's confusing even me. blink.gif

Likewise disabled people, my Mum is physically disabled (and mentally too but that's not clinical) and she has a mobility scooter. She doesn't use it much but I call it "the spazzy chariot" much to the amusement of my friends and I also crashed it through the shed, but thats for another day (true story). I think it was my dyslexia that caused the crash, I swear the "hare" sign on the bar meant it was supposed to go slower..

Now she can walk just about but I know that in my life I might become physically disabled, or one day I will forget to take my medicine and end up needing a special kind of lollypop, or the child I one day steal my grow up and have a mental disorder.. and that would just be life and you'd have to deal with it and accept things and make the best of things. And frankly it would be LEGEND....wait for it, and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the next word is DARY.
And if the best of things was to involve occasionally laughing (in a satirical way) then yes I would laugh at my own retarded child and I would hope people would laugh at me when I forget to take my medicine. I'm not saying MOCK the kid for dribbling in front of all the girls but **** why not make a joke or two about it....

Although I am not stupid nor ignorant enough to see how some people might not see how I view it and infact would see it how Biker1 does, and that's fine because the world is like ying and yang, it's a balance.
I am only up this late because I have a mad cough bro. I did wash my hands before I typed though I hope you don't catch it. huh.gif
It's only racism if someone objectifies it as racism and unfortunately too many people are quick to objectify something which isn't.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Feb 14 2012, 09:17 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

Fear breeds prejudice and in Manning's heyday, people probably feared the mass immigration of the the 70's and the threat of the IRA the most, I might be wrong but the "jokes" of the the 70's have just been adapted for today. Boyle is no different in my opinion, he just takes the same subjects as Manning did, turn the joke into a story, garnish it with a few big words and shocks. However timing is everything.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Feb 14 2012, 10:01 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 14 2012, 12:41 AM) *
...yes I laugh at racist jokes, and jokes about disabled people, and yes I make jokes about them too...

...my Mum is physically disabled (and mentally too but that's not clinical) and she has a mobility scooter. She doesn't use it much but I call it "the spazzy chariot" much to the amusement of my friends and I also crashed it through the shed...

...yes I would laugh at my own retarded child and I would hope people would laugh at me when I forget to take my medicine. I'm not saying MOCK the kid for dribbling in front of all the girls but **** why not make a joke or two about it....

Well, at least posting in this fashion seems to get you the attention that you crave.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:31 PM