IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Donnington Residential and Nursing Home slammed in Care Quality Commission report
Andy Capp
post Aug 10 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I find it frustrating that people just don't get prosecuted for poor standards, or downright fraud in these circumstances. I bet the patrons pay a lot for staying in these BUPA homes, yet they seem to get ripped off. Too many homes seem to wait for the inspector before their standards are 'assessed' by their management.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=17525
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron
post Aug 10 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 10 2011, 07:43 PM) *
I find it frustrating that that people just don't get prosecuted for poor standards in these circumstances. I bet the patrons pay a lot for staying in these BUPA homes, yet they seem to get ripped off. Too many homes seem to wait for the inspector before their standards are 'assessed' by their management.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=17525

Will the people paying BUPAs bill get a refund for services not provided? Taking money under false pretences? Sue for being put into unsafe/unhealthy conditions?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Aug 10 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Ron @ Aug 10 2011, 08:03 PM) *
Will the people paying BUPAs bill get a refund for services not provided? Taking money under false pretences? Sue for being put into unsafe/unhealthy conditions?

You can expect even more of this sort of thing with Dave's and Lansley's backdoor privatisation. Only way to make a profit from health care is cut corners and standards. Lansley has been quoting BUPA as a very good model for the private sector care that the NHS should aspire to? Profit should be taken out of Health Care! angry.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Ron
post Aug 10 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Aug 10 2011, 08:17 PM) *
You can expect even more of this sort of thing with Dave's and Lansley's backdoor privatisation. Only way to make a profit from health care is cut corners and standards. Lansley has been quoting BUPA as a very good model for the private sector care that the NHS should aspire to? Profit should be taken out of Health Care! angry.gif

It went on at Donnington in the time of MrBLair and Mr Brown. While my 90 year old father-in-law was in there on respite they allowed him to fall out of bed and brake his shoulder. Denide it had happened to start with until we got his GP to visit. The man was in pain for days.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 10 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Its been going on for years, Its called neglect of the elderly. Bupa are a private limited company and answer to the shareholders, Lower standards = costcutting = more profits.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 11 2011, 07:10 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Aug 10 2011, 11:44 PM) *
Its been going on for years, Its called neglect of the elderly. Bupa are a private limited company and answer to the shareholders, Lower standards = costcutting = more profits.

And its customers, therefore, should be entitled to a rebate. Surely a trading standards issue? Paying for something that isn't supplied. It's fraud as far as I'm concerned. It shouldn't be cheaper to wait for the inspectors report to make amends, than to supply that which has been paid for.

+Quote Post
shedboy
post Aug 11 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,849

I agree that this has been happening for quite some time. A while back two of us visited an elderly friend in this home. While we were there she needed to go to the loo, 3 members of staff went in the bathroom with her, not to attend to her but to have a gossip. The loo door was left wide open so not only was my friend on public view but we could hear everything as well. Towards the end of our visit the lady had an accident, I offered to get a member of staff to put her in dry clothes & she refused to let me, she was scared of the telling off she would get. I have worked as a home carer in the past & was disgusted at the level of real care at Donnington, it was non-existent.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 11 2011, 08:50 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

It is a reflection on society.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 11 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 11 2011, 09:50 AM) *
It is a reflection on society.

Everything is a reflection of our society.

It seems though that we hear an endless stream of clichés like: "we regret that on this occasion that we did not meet the high standards we set ourselves." whenever these 'abuses' are uncovered.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Aug 12 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 11 2011, 11:13 AM) *
Everything is a reflection of our society.

It seems though that we hear an endless stream of clichés like: "we regret that on this occasion that we did not meet the high standards we set ourselves." whenever these 'abuses' are uncovered.

So it ever will be when the main reason for being in existence is to make as much for shareholders as possible......but that is what the electorate voted for so..... sad.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 12 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Aug 12 2011, 10:59 AM) *
So it ever will be when the main reason for being in existence is to make as much for shareholders as possible......but that is what the electorate voted for so..... sad.gif

There's nothing wrong in making shareholders money, but we have law to prevent fraud, yet this type of business seems immune.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 12 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Maybe families should take responsibility for their aged relatives. If families washed their hands of their children there would be a national outcry.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 12 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 12 2011, 12:45 PM) *
Maybe families should take responsibility for their aged relatives. If families washed their hands of their children there would be a national outcry.

Maybe they should, but that doesn't take away from what I said. If you pay an agreed price you should be able to expect the service in return.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 12 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 12 2011, 01:11 PM) *
Maybe they should, but that doesn't take away from what I said. If you pay an agreed price you should be able to expect the service in return.

Of course.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:31 AM