Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sex pest?, Are you one?
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 4 2017, 07:51 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

As sexual harrassment is flavour of the moment in the darling media world have you examined your own behaviour since turning 18?

Have you ever "tried it on" with someone?
Does that make you a sex pest?

Or if you did and she or he said no and you left it at that does that make you normal?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
newres
post Nov 4 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 4 2017, 07:51 AM) *
As sexual harrassment is flavour of the moment in the darling media world have you examined your own behaviour since turning 18?

Or if you did and she or he said no and you left it at that does that make you normal?

No, I'm not. I don't think I ever was. Some of the "crimes" are ridiculous though, such as the hand on the knee. Mind you, if someone casually put their hand, uninvited, on someone's knee, there's a good chance that that's mild behaviour for the person.

I'm guessing there's alcohol involved in a lot of it. Does that excuse it? As a non drinker I would say to some extent it excuses the mild forms (hand on knee).

But it's a witch hunt!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 4 2017, 08:15 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Nov 4 2017, 07:57 AM) *
No, I'm not. I don't think I ever was. Some of the "crimes" are ridiculous though, such as the hand on the knee. Mind you, if someone casually put their hand, uninvited, on someone's knee, there's a good chance that that's mild behaviour for the person.

I'm guessing there's alcohol involved in a lot of it. Does that excuse it? As a non drinker I would say to some extent it excuses the mild forms (hand on knee).

But it's a witch hunt!

I concur. Good god. We agree on something. Real harrassment and abuse is abhorrent and should be dealt with. If necessary in the Courts. But some of the things that I have seen at Christmas parties in the past (from both sexes) would mean an awful lot of resignations these days!!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 4 2017, 08:32 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 4 2017, 09:51 AM) *

Going back to 18?? ohmy.gif
Haven't we all??? laugh.gif

I like to think not!!

Knowing my luck they probably did and yes, I think it does.
Surely it's if the unwanted attention persists after rejection that there is a problem?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 4 2017, 09:00 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 4 2017, 08:32 AM) *
Going back to 18?? ohmy.gif
Haven't we all??? laugh.gif

I like to think not!!

Knowing my luck they probably did and yes, I think it does.
Surely it's if the unwanted attention persists after rejection that there is a problem?

Yes indeed. But I think the lines are being blurred at the moment.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Nov 4 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

On a slight tangent , it seems that it is only high profile individuals that are cited in these media driven cases . No one has looked at the number of harassment incidents over the Country as a whole . The point is that sexual predation is something intrinsically implanted in the male DNA , ( and some females ) , and though most chose to control it with little fuss there is an element that can not . By and large they are the high flyers who have got to their position of power by imposition of their will . This does not make it any more acceptable but we are not going to stop it by hanging a few MPs out to dry .
Legislation is all well and good but it won't stop it , so maybe we have to accept that it may happen and providing it doesn't break the law, ie persistent pestering, fondling ,rape etc. , then the odd pinched bum should be met with a well practiced retort .
Must admit I find the whole sordid affair very embarrassing from a male perspective but by the same token I do not want to see the entire male species afraid to lead " normal " lives .

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 4 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It reminds me of the racism issue: some one guilty of being a bit insensitive can be grouped with people wishing to gas certain members of the human race.

I’d rather the focus was on unqualified bulling and not exclusive to male on female, which in itself is sexist and is a social attitude which creates situations like adults being unable to comfort children.

What does concern me is this seems more about sensationalism than a genuine concern; however, to make improvements you sometimes have to have a shock; the behaviour of some of our elected reps is abysmal.

+Quote Post
newres
post Nov 4 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 4 2017, 11:41 AM) *
It reminds me of the racism issue: some one guilty of being a bit insensitive can be grouped with people wishing to gas certain members of the human race.

I’d rather the focus was on unqualified bulling and not exclusive to male on female, which in itself is sexist and is a social attitude which creates situations like adults being unable to comfort children.

What does concern me is this seems more about sensationalism than a genuine concern; however, to make improvements you sometimes have to have a shock; the behaviour of some of our elected reps is abysmal.

Interesting point re: children. I believe that the Esther Rancid campaign all those years ago had a pretty damaging effect on men and their relationship with their own and others' children. I certainly wouldn't comfort a child in the street if it fell over or lost his mum or whatever.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Nov 4 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (newres @ Nov 4 2017, 02:22 PM) *
Interesting point re: children. I believe that the Esther Rancid campaign all those years ago had a pretty damaging effect on men and their relationship with their own and others' children. I certainly wouldn't comfort a child in the street if it fell over or lost his mum or whatever.

I had to explain to an angry mum last month why, after her child fell over in the yard and started screaming I didn't rush over to pick her up. It's sad when you have to bury the most human emotion of all to go to a child in distress because it might be misconstrued. Society today huh.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:38 PM