Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TV / film execs out of new ideas...?
Roost
post Apr 19 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

Was going to plop this into another post (about the meerkats being 'tired' now) but feel it merits seperate discussion as it greatly irritated me!

Saturday night, primetime TV.

8pm on the Sky weekend pass - 'V' - a reworking of the (fantastic) 80's TV series relating to invasion by aliens.

9pm on ITV1 - 'The Prisoner' - a reworking of the (fantastic) 60's TV series relating to, well what can only be described as hallucinogenic visions!

Recent big release at the cinema - 'Clash of The Titans' - a reworking of the (dodgy but enjoyable) 80's movie.

Come on - new ideas please!!
Why are these execs just taking the old ideas and 'reworking' them? There are exceptions but few and far between I think.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 19 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Roost @ Apr 19 2010, 03:35 PM) *
Was going to plop this into another post (about the meerkats being 'tired' now) but feel it merits seperate discussion as it greatly irritated me!

Saturday night, primetime TV.

8pm on the Sky weekend pass - 'V' - a reworking of the (fantastic) 80's TV series relating to invasion by aliens.

9pm on ITV1 - 'The Prisoner' - a reworking of the (fantastic) 60's TV series relating to, well what can only be described as hallucinogenic visions!

Recent big release at the cinema - 'Clash of The Titans' - a reworking of the (dodgy but enjoyable) 80's movie.

Come on - new ideas please!!
Why are these execs just taking the old ideas and 'reworking' them? There are exceptions but few and far between I think.

The fact that we have to put up with moronic talent shows at weekend is what does my head in.

Dorothy or whatever it is on BBC1
Britains Got Very Little Talent on ITV

Television for the cerebrally chalenged and 'cheap' TV for the channels so they can pay over inflated wages to staff and 'personalities'.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Apr 19 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 19 2010, 03:45 PM) *
The fact that we have to put up with moronic talent shows at weekend is what does my head in.

Dorothy or whatever it is on BBC1
Britains Got Very Little Talent on ITV

Television for the cerebrally chalenged and 'cheap' TV for the channels so they can pay over inflated wages to staff and 'personalities'.

And wasn't last night even worse?! REPEATS of Saturday's offerings....pretty dire sad.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 19 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Rachel @ Apr 19 2010, 05:05 PM) *
And wasn't last night even worse?!

Actually, last night (Sunday) you were spoilt for choice: on BBC2, the 5th part of Tropic of Cancer and a Louis Theroux documentary on how American kids are medicated as young as six for what we would call tantrums, on ITV1, part 2 of Foyle's War and on BBC4 a new series on maps.

All between 8 and 10, so recorded 2 and watched one smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Apr 19 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 19 2010, 08:28 PM) *
Actually, last night (Sunday) you were spoilt for choice: on BBC2, the 5th part of Tropic of Cancer and a Louis Theroux documentary on how American kids are medicated as young as six for what we would call tantrums, on ITV1, part 2 of Foyle's War and on BBC4 a new series on maps.

All between 8 and 10, so recorded 2 and watched one smile.gif

Must be just me then?! I confess to being a bit of a TV avoider, I rarely find a series to "get into" as I always end up missing bits by doing other things. I never record anything as I never get round to watching it, so I guess it's a little unfair of me to expect to find something out of the umpteen channels when I do find time to sit & watch wink.gif . Maybe I could pay a reduced TV licence, much as low mileage drivers pay reduced insurance? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 19 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

For crying out loud you lot!

Get a life without TV, Cinema, or anything else electronic.We have a whole world out there that is now coming to life, it's called spring.....

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 19 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (x2lls @ Apr 19 2010, 11:27 PM) *
For crying out loud you lot!

Get a life without TV, Cinema, or anything else electronic.We have a whole world out there that is now coming to life, it's called spring.....
....says x2lls while sat behind his PC screen..... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 19 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Apr 19 2010, 11:42 PM) *
....says x2lls while sat behind his PC screen..... rolleyes.gif

lol, yes, 10/10 for observation Spartacus. that said, i am outside until it gets dark, and later. I was in front of my screen for as long as it took to logon, read and respond.

PS:- I sit in front of my screen!!! (Wink)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 19 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (x2lls @ Apr 19 2010, 11:27 PM) *
For crying out loud you lot! Get a life without TV, Cinema, or anything else electronic.We have a whole world out there that is now coming to life, it's called spring.....

Overrated...I've seen it loads of times!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 20 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 20 2010, 12:39 AM) *
Overrated...I've seen it loads of times!

Yeah, it's only a repeat... smile.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 20 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 20 2010, 10:54 AM) *
Yeah, it's only a repeat... smile.gif

biggrin.gif

But you must agree that those particular repeats are always welcome!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeven
post Apr 20 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 498

In regards to cinema releases, Kick-*** > Clash of the Titans by a mile. What makes Kick-*** being so brilliant even more surprising is that it is a relatively low budget British production completely independent of the studios (apart from distribution of course).

+Quote Post
Roost
post Apr 21 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jeven @ Apr 20 2010, 09:54 PM) *
In regards to cinema releases, Kick-*** > Clash of the Titans by a mile. What makes Kick-*** being so brilliant even more surprising is that it is a relatively low budget British production completely independent of the studios (apart from distribution of course).

Agreed. Awesome filum!

Don't you feel that this is an exception as opposed to the regular tho'?

--------------------
Roost

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Apr 21 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Jeven @ Apr 20 2010, 09:54 PM) *

Is it a British production ?

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Apr 21 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #15

Guests

Note to self "Must see KickAss".........

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Apr 27 2010, 06:10 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

Five Daughters BBC1. Interesting.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Apr 27 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

What about 24, Flash Forward, Lost, Glee, Tru Blood, NCIS Los Angeles, serveral doc's on national geo, desperate housewifes etc etc etc

There are loads of good 'new' tv programs out there at the moment. Also i love the fact they are re-making those excellent programs and films for a new generation. I loved the original series of V and am over the moon they are re-making it using the latest technology and special effects.

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 27 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

'Modern Family' can sometimes be very funny.

+Quote Post
misc
post Apr 27 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 729

QUOTE (Simon @ Apr 27 2010, 11:31 AM) *
What about 24, Flash Forward, Lost, Glee, Tru Blood, NCIS Los Angeles, serveral doc's on national geo, desperate housewifes etc etc etc

It's a shame that all of your examples of original programmes originate across the pond.

We do still make a few decent programmes over here - things like The Thick of It and even Outnumbered might not be particularly original, but are extremely well executed. I'd also recommend anything with Charlie Brooker, but it's worth noting that the BBC's Screenwipe and Newswipe are a cut above You Have Been Watching - the panel show he hosts for C4.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Apr 27 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon @ Apr 27 2010, 12:31 PM) *

There are loads of good 'new' tv programs out there at the moment. Also i love the fact they are re-making those excellent programs and films for a new generation. I loved the original series of V and am over the moon they are re-making it using the latest technology and special effects.

24 - seriously?! Yes the first two were great but how many times can Kiefer save the world?
Lost - See above - dragged on for far too long.
Tru Blood - A long running series? About vampires? Are you sure that would sell 'cos NO-ONE likes stuff about vampires!
NCIS Generic City - Like CSI. First was good but how many different cities can they remake it for? I'm waiting for NCIS Newbury!!

Not slating every series or every episode but the general premise of 'No New Ideas'!!!

--------------------
Roost

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:03 AM