IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does Newbury have a problem with drunks in its pubs?
Iommi
post Jul 12 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

I see there's a drunks in pubs vote on the main page.

My view is that is is pretty much like any other town. What I find is that there are periods when it is more visible than others. Sunday afternoons for instance. This is exacerbated by good weather and the smokers out on the street.

On Sunday afternoons there is less 'security', or the bar staff are light on the ground. Sometimes I've been in a pub during the day and thought top myself, if it kicked off, the bar staff often don't look like they are capable of dealing with it.

I do think walking past the places where the smokers gather, like The George and Pelican, Monty's, the Snooty Fox and now The Diamond Tap, can be quite intimidating.

All this being said, outside of race day, I have rarely seen any trouble in Newbury, although I have heard of some.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 12 2010, 01:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

I don't think Newbury is any worse than other towns. There will always be drunks, it just depends what kind of drunk they are. I'm a happy drunk. I like to enjoy myself and have fun. Then you get the 'nasty want to fight everybody' drunk, or the 'falling over in a state drunk'. I haven't been out in town late for a while now but I hear from my friends the trouble they witness.

I don't feel intimidated walking past groups of people huddered outside, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when I'm waiting for a taxi home - now that is when trouble starts! Some girl and I nearly had a ***** fight because apparantly I got in HER taxi when my friends and I had been waiting first. It's ironic to think i'm waiting to get a taxi so I can get home safely, when I could just as well be beaten up for it, MEH!

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post Jul 12 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 12 2010, 02:46 PM) *
I don't feel intimidated walking past groups of people huddered outside, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when I'm waiting for a taxi home - now that is when trouble starts! Some girl and I nearly had a ***** fight because apparantly I got in HER taxi when my friends and I had been waiting first. It's ironic to think i'm waiting to get a taxi so I can get home safely, when I could just as well be beaten up for it, MEH!

I hate it when people think they can do that, if you know your in the right and your mature about the whole situation, then they deserve something in return so hopefuly they will learn from it for the future! Mature could be just by walking away, but that will only get them doing it again to somebody else.

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 12 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Good Boy Racer @ Jul 12 2010, 03:03 PM) *
I hate it when people think they can do that, if you know your in the right and your mature about the whole situation, then they deserve something in return so hopefuly they will learn from it for the future! Mature could be just by walking away, but that will only get them doing it again to somebody else.

I would always walk away as it's not worth an agurment - espcially when I and others have been drinking - but sometimes when I know I am right I just can't help but stand up for myself. We won anyway as I slammed the door on her and told the taxi to 'drive drive'!!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 12 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 12 2010, 03:23 PM) *
I would always walk away as it's not worth an agurment - espcially when I and others have been drinking - but sometimes when I know I am right I just can't help but stand up for myself. We won anyway as I slammed the door on her and told the taxi to 'drive drive'!!

You sound like a troublemaker to me. wink.gif

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Jul 12 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

I very nearly ran over a man the other evening (approx 7.30) when he literally fell straight in front of my car. Luckily I had seen him staggering all over the place and so was only doing about 5 mph. I stay out of town as much as I can in the evening but then again the majority of drunks I have encountered have all been before nine o'clock at night.....

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 12 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 12 2010, 03:34 PM) *
You sound like a troublemaker to me. wink.gif

Me? Never tongue.gif No, serioulsly I hate trouble. But when some skanky mare tries to drag you out of a taxi you gotta stick up for yourself. I normally would walk away but as I was IN the taxi I had a quick gettaway!

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post Jul 12 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 12 2010, 03:50 PM) *
Me? Never tongue.gif No, serioulsly I hate trouble. But when some skanky mare tries to drag you out of a taxi you gotta stick up for yourself. I normally would walk away but as I was IN the taxi I had a quick gettaway!

HAHA!, Well ya know what i would of done... Got in, Slammed the door the other way resulting in a dead knee, then tell the Taxi man to Drive! lol

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post Jul 12 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Jul 12 2010, 03:47 PM) *
I very nearly ran over a man the other evening (approx 7.30) when he literally fell straight in front of my car. Luckily I had seen him staggering all over the place and so was only doing about 5 mph. I stay out of town as much as I can in the evening but then again the majority of drunks I have encountered have all been before nine o'clock at night.....

I have never seen anyone drive so slow in my life... apart from learner drivers and old people.
Was you really doing 5MPH through town? hehe, I prefer to go about 20MPH, making sure it's enough speed to not stop in time (depending on where they fall infront of you) when a well deserved human being falls in the way of the car thereby making sure he gets a well deserved tire mark to wake up with in the morning. Aslong as the cameras have you going slow and that you end up stopping and not driving away, with you getting out of the car with a slight smirk on your face and a sarcastic comment saying... ''OMG, are you okay?'' Sounds about right for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Jul 12 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

QUOTE (Good Boy Racer @ Jul 12 2010, 04:35 PM) *
I have never seen anyone drive so slow in my life... apart from learner drivers and old people.
Was you really doing 5MPH through town? hehe, I prefer to go about 20MPH, making sure it's enough speed to not stop in time (depending on where they fall infront of you) when a well deserved human being falls in the way of the car thereby making sure he gets a well deserved tire mark to wake up with in the morning. Aslong as the cameras have you going slow and that you end up stopping and not driving away, with you getting out of the car with a slight smirk on your face and a sarcastic comment saying... ''OMG, are you okay?'' Sounds about right for me.

Darn it my secret is out - I am old (not actually)!!!! laugh.gif Seriously you can't risk the law suit these days it is always the law abiding people who get taken to the cleaners.. !! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 12 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 12 2010, 02:46 PM) *
I don't think Newbury is any worse than other towns. There will always be drunks, it just depends what kind of drunk they are. I'm a happy drunk. I like to enjoy myself and have fun. Then you get the 'nasty want to fight everybody' drunk, or the 'falling over in a state drunk'. I haven't been out in town late for a while now but I hear from my friends the trouble they witness.

I agree with you that Newbury is probably no worse than any other town, but does that make it right? I've gone on my own through town and I have felt intimidated. Drunks and rowdy lads (and sometimes girls) abuse you when you walk past them. So I try to keep out of Newbury. Especially at night times. Newbury never used to be like that.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 12 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 12 2010, 05:26 PM) *
Drunks and rowdy lads (and sometimes girls) abuse you when you walk past them.

Why is that? You're not wearing outlandish clothing or anything like that, are you? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 12 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 12 2010, 07:36 PM) *
Why is that? You're not wearing outlandish clothing or anything like that, are you? wink.gif

One can feel the eyes following you, as it were, so if there is anything that might amuse their mates to poke fun at, you are a sitting duck. It isn't like this all the time. It isn't the Wild West yet, but it can be unpleasant sometimes.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 12 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 12 2010, 07:42 PM) *
One can feel the eyes following you, as it were, so if there is anything that might amuse their mates to poke fun at, you are a sitting duck. It isn't like this all the time. It isn't the Wild West yet, but it can be unpleasant sometimes.

I have that problem with women looking at me. It must be my Greek youthish look wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 12 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

but does that make it right?

Of course it doesn't. I never said it was right Heather. Nothing will change though, it will just get worse I fear....

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 12 2010, 08:58 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 12 2010, 08:54 PM) *
but does that make it right?

Of course it doesn't. I never said it was right Heather. Nothing will change though, it will just get worse I fear....

Another good reason why people would want to move to Newbury wink.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 12 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 12 2010, 05:26 PM) *
So I try to keep out of Newbury. Especially at night times. Newbury never used to be like that.

could this be because you were younger then? And out on a Friday / Saturday with your mates?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 12 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

There's always been unruliness. There used to be bovver in the pubs.

There are differences between town pubs then (around the time I started going to pubs) and now.

• I'm older and know fewer people (one tends to trust less, people you don't know).
  • You have managers now, back then most places had landlords tending their pub (they were fussier).
  • Drinking hours like all-day and later at night.
  • El fresco drinking areas which means drinkers are more visible to the non drinking public.
  • Sport on TV in pubs (beyond finals) and fans tend to be rather partisan.
  • Some pubs had Lounge Bars, where one could go to get away from the swearing!

I think these things do effect the atmosphere in pubs.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 13 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Do you want some? (hic)
Outside now (belch)
Did you spill my pint? (burp)
Are you staring at me? (parrf)
Are you looking at my bird?

The spirit of the Queen Vic is alive and well in little ole Newbury.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 13 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Suspect its an issue nationwide - people campaigned long and hard to change the drinking laws. Truth is we British simply can't cope with out restrictions. Shame really!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:51 AM