3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> newbury parking charges
masons
post Aug 2 2012, 07:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 295

just overstayed my four hours by a few minutes in Kennet Centre car park and was charged for an extra TWO HOURS resulting in charge of £6.50.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 2 2012, 07:54 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

You parked there at 4am?

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 2 2012, 08:40 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (masons @ Aug 2 2012, 08:34 AM) *
just overstayed my four hours by a few minutes in Kennet Centre car park and was charged for an extra TWO HOURS resulting in charge of £6.50.
How did you manage that, isn't is closed at night after the last film finishes?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 2 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Hi Masons,
As has been discussed on here several times before.
If you fall foul of the parking small print in Newbury by just a fraction or if you don't read it at all because it IS so small then you WILL be penalised.
There is no grey area YOU are in the wrong and must pay the price.
Hard luck mate, I think many of us have been caught out much to our cost.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Aug 2 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 2 2012, 10:34 AM) *
If you fall foul of the parking small print in Newbury by just a fraction or if you don't read it at all because it IS so small then you WILL be penalised.
There is no grey area YOU are in the wrong and must pay the price.
Hard luck mate, I think many of us have been caught out much to our cost.

Very true. I got caught out in Reading a few weeks back. Annoying!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 2 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (masons @ Aug 2 2012, 08:34 AM) *

That is how parking is charged all over Britain.

I don't know of a single car park that is charged by the minute.

+Quote Post
greenmeanie61
post Nov 18 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,710

sorry to bump this topic, but I have found that Dover District Council offer linear charging (charging by the minute) in most of their car parks http://www.dover.gov.uk/parking/parking_in_dover.aspx

--------------------
GM61

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 18 2012, 01:34 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (greenmeanie61 @ Nov 18 2012, 01:20 PM) *
sorry to bump this topic, but I have found that Dover District Council offer linear charging (charging by the minute) in most of their car parks http://www.dover.gov.uk/parking/parking_in_dover.aspx

Yes, but did you note the sting in the tail. All the carparks have a time limit on how long you can park there. This may mean that you may have to cough up a fine if you overstay. That would have made Mason's cost to park much much more. I haven't researched Dover small print as the chances of me wanting to park there is slim unless I go on a Sunday when it is FREE FREE FREE.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 18 2012, 01:44 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I don't quite understand the parking philosophy in Dover. The Car Parking is Pay and Display. This means that, as far as I can see, the parker (is that a word?) has to elect how long he/she wishes to park at the beginning and the crunch comes if the parker overstays that elected time. So, it really isn't parking by the minute unless he/she knows exactly to the minute when he/she will return. There is a minimum charge so you can't buy 10 minutes to nip in for a pack of fags.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 18 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Nov 18 2012, 01:44 PM) *
I don't quite understand the parking philosophy in Dover. The Car Parking is Pay and Display. This means that, as far as I can see, the parker (is that a word?) has to elect how long he/she wishes to park at the beginning and the crunch comes if the parker overstays that elected time. So, it really isn't parking by the minute unless he/she knows exactly to the minute when he/she will return. There is a minimum charge so you can't buy 10 minutes to nip in for a pack of fags.

Sounds like the only advantage is getting parking time for every penny you put into the machine - unlike the machines they used to have in Newbury where they would keep the change if you didn't have the coins for the exact amount required.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 18 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

What is wrong with just paying for what you use?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 18 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 18 2012, 08:04 PM) *

Nothing - apart from the loss of the profit made from all those minutes we pay for and don't use.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 19 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 18 2012, 11:37 PM) *
Nothing - apart from the loss of the profit made from all those minutes we pay for and don't use.

Have to say and I'm being very picky here. this is classic local government think! For years now parking meter technology has enabled time to be measured and charged by the minute.

Imagine the squeaks from 'Customer Protection Officers' if Sainsbury's or Tesco's scales only measured in blocks and they charged the higher rate when 'its a bit over',

All an attitude of mind!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Nov 19 2012, 08:13 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 18 2012, 08:04 PM) *

Agree, simple thing to implement and of great benefit to the town centre. I recon that it's one for WBC to add to all future negotiations on parking.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 19 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Nov 19 2012, 08:13 AM) *
Agree, simple thing to implement and of great benefit to the town centre. I recon that it's one for WBC to add to all future negotiations on parking.

Beware the sting in the tail. I buy 36 minutes because I know that I can do what I want and be back to my car with 2 minutes to spare. But, I forget my keys and leave them on the bank counter and have to go back. Jeez 38 minutes, out of breath and a fine from the green meanie for the 2 minute overstay.
That of course is pay and display but in the car park with the pay on exit then that would really be an honest way of collecting parking revenue. With the sophistication of modern electronics and software this would be so simple. I doubt that revenue would be affected that much as I'm sure that others, as I do, get a move on to get back at least a couple of minutes before the time runs out so that we don't drift over to pay for another hour. If it was only a few minutes then, what's the rush, only a few pence extra.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 19 2012, 11:14 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Jeez, we are talking a few quid here - about the cost of a Latte......

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 20 2012, 02:06 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 19 2012, 11:14 PM) *
Jeez, we are talking a few quid here - about the cost of a Latte......

If one has spent, say, £20.00, that's like paying a 10% tax. Even worse if you have not managed to get the thing(s) you want. This is about a feeling of profiteering. Remember the discussion along this theme a while back: being late by a minute cost me a Latte (which I don't drink).

If parking is oversubscribed and in demand (like Oxford for instance) I could see a point, but the car park is rarely near full. People don't have to go to town these days, so I feel the town's administration would do well to realise that. In this case it seems on face value that the penny has dropped, but it wouldn't surprise me if we learn later that there's been some deal struck between Parkway and the council behind closed doors (at the tax payers expense).

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Nov 20 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

White Horse DC have taken a different approach - 2 hours free - and they are consulting at the moment on what impact it has had. It would be interesting to see if there is benefit in a free period of parking.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 20 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Nov 20 2012, 09:47 AM) *
White Horse DC have taken a different approach - 2 hours free - and they are consulting at the moment on what impact it has had. It would be interesting to see if there is benefit in a free period of parking.

Kidlington offers 3 hours free. Not sure how they monitor compliance/charge etc

+Quote Post
Downlander
post Nov 21 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Nov 20 2012, 09:47 AM) *

South Oxfordshire council too. It certainly makes a big difference to where I decide to shop, and that's rarely Newbury.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:46 PM