> Post from elsewhere.
x2lls
post Aug 1 2018, 12:13 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 511

FAKE NEWS?
How contemptible for politicians, the BBC and all the other main stream media outlets to complain about fake news.
No one can deny that the internet is saturated with fake news, but most of it is so obviously fake that with a moments reasoned examination it becomes clear that most of it is just ‘Click Bait’ designed to provoke a reaction or manipulate opinion.

However when it comes to fake news, nobody does it better than the aforementioned culprits. One only has to look at how the subject of immigration and multiculturalism is handled. They are falling over each other to present it in a favourable light, whilst demonising anyone who attempts to unwrap the facts as a racist or a xenophobic Nazi.

The subject of the Monarchy also gets the same relentless positive treatment with presenters falling over themselves in competition to display the most embarrassing levels of obsequious grovelling deference. It’s enough to make you sick.

Then we have the frenzied coverage that focuses on celebrity worship. Creating millionaires out of talentless narcissistic exhibitionists then fawning over them and their obscene wealth as if they were emperors, and inciting the audience to do the same.

Just how they have the gall to complain about fake news is an outrage, but it does serve to illustrate their vanity for their own illusions and authority. A false authority that in my view is far more dangerous than the click bait we see elsewhere. A charade that falls apart and is exposed the moment the audience decides to regain their faculties of reason and think for themselves.

When your society is being manipulated and governed by such an organised regime of denial, manipulation and fake news, it runs the risk of destabilising the very society it claims to protect. When such organisations are made up of hundreds of thousands of people, and every one of them, without exception, proclaim without the slightest sign of embarrassment that ‘Islam is a religion of peace’, I think you may find that complaints of fake news almost too outrageous for words.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
newres
post Aug 1 2018, 06:20 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (x2lls @ Aug 1 2018, 01:13 AM) *
FAKE NEWS?
How contemptible for politicians, the BBC and all the other main stream media outlets to complain about fake news.
No one can deny that the internet is saturated with fake news, but most of it is so obviously fake that with a moments reasoned examination it becomes clear that most of it is just ‘Click Bait’ designed to provoke a reaction or manipulate opinion.

However when it comes to fake news, nobody does it better than the aforementioned culprits. One only has to look at how the subject of immigration and multiculturalism is handled. They are falling over each other to present it in a favourable light, whilst demonising anyone who attempts to unwrap the facts as a racist or a xenophobic Nazi.

The subject of the Monarchy also gets the same relentless positive treatment with presenters falling over themselves in competition to display the most embarrassing levels of obsequious grovelling deference. It’s enough to make you sick.

Then we have the frenzied coverage that focuses on celebrity worship. Creating millionaires out of talentless narcissistic exhibitionists then fawning over them and their obscene wealth as if they were emperors, and inciting the audience to do the same.

Just how they have the gall to complain about fake news is an outrage, but it does serve to illustrate their vanity for their own illusions and authority. A false authority that in my view is far more dangerous than the click bait we see elsewhere. A charade that falls apart and is exposed the moment the audience decides to regain their faculties of reason and think for themselves.

When your society is being manipulated and governed by such an organised regime of denial, manipulation and fake news, it runs the risk of destabilising the very society it claims to protect. When such organisations are made up of hundreds of thousands of people, and every one of them, without exception, proclaim without the slightest sign of embarrassment that ‘Islam is a religion of peace’, I think you may find that complaints of fake news almost too outrageous for words.

There's more than a grain of truth in much of that. It's a shame you ruined it with your usual Islamophobia nonsense in the last paragraph. Aside from anything else, when was the last positive story on the news about Islam? It's always the opposite.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Aug 1 2018, 07:42 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 1 2018, 07:20 AM) *
There's more than a grain of truth in much of that. It's a shame you ruined it with your usual Islamophobia nonsense in the last paragraph. Aside from anything else, when was the last positive story on the news about Islam? It's always the opposite.

Forgive my ignorance but I have yet to see anything "positive" in a religion that is fear based. I agree that most followers are perfectly model citizens but if their god, or it's earthly representatives, say jump, they ask as one: How high?
This has nothing to do with bigotry, xenophobia, racial intolerance, white supremacy, fake news or any other noun/adjective etc that is banded around, just total mistrust of their agenda.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 1 2018, 08:03 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Religion is b0llocks and we need to stop pandering to it. Whether it's Islam, Christianity, or Scientology.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 1 2018, 08:22 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 1 2018, 08:42 AM) *
Forgive my ignorance but I have yet to see anything "positive" in a religion that is fear based. I agree that most followers are perfectly model citizens but if their god, or it's earthly representatives, say jump, they ask as one: How high?
This has nothing to do with bigotry, xenophobia, racial intolerance, white supremacy, fake news or any other noun/adjective etc that is banded around, just total mistrust of their agenda.

We've never had what many fondly imagine is supposed to be 'freedom of speech'. Regrettably, the liberal elements in our society who believe in another imagined freedom called 'equality' have almost mortally damaged our society for their constant failure to permit appropriate responses. The usual default is therefore to denigrate and call for a ban on all religion. Time and again history shows that doing that simply results in some form of totalitarianism; which is just as unattractive. However, if we continue with the liberal approach, anarchy results. The only answer seems to be to give a robust response to those clearly seeking to disrupt. Just as most parents realise that naughty kids need proper discipline rather than a bogus diagnosis and a bottle of Ritalin.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 1 2018, 01:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

We have freedom of speech. You're rights enable you to say whatever you like. However we also have the law that punishes you if you abuse that right.

+Quote Post
newres
post Aug 1 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 1 2018, 08:42 AM) *

Aren't all religions fear based? Behave or you go to H E L L?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 1 2018, 01:35 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 1 2018, 02:16 PM) *

Quite. I believe in science. Not a sky fairy, of any kind.
To be honest, anyone (all faiths) that believe in a supreme being are about as sane as the patients in one flew over the cuckoos nest.
Ban it all.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Aug 1 2018, 03:52 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 1 2018, 02:16 PM) *

Exactly. Interesting to note that christianity support is on the wane in the UK basically because the C of E doctrine has liberalised over the last century. Catholicism is run by an iron fist from Rome and it's followers are as intransigent as any when it comes to questioning their beliefs, not from conviction but fear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 1 2018, 07:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 1 2018, 02:11 PM) *
We have freedom of speech. You're rights enable you to say whatever you like. However we also have the law that punishes you if you abuse that right.

Err yes, but the qualification then eliminates the totality! Yes, if you break the law by what you say you can be prosecuted. I think our biggest issue today is that the law is not imposed properly or fairly. For instance, the 'hate' preachers should have been dealt with quickly and severely. Similarly, the attacks on our legally established religion should have been prosecuted with the same vigour applied to recently imported ones.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 1 2018, 07:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 1 2018, 02:35 PM) *
Quite. I believe in science. Not a sky fairy, of any kind.
To be honest, anyone (all faiths) that believe in a supreme being are about as sane as the patients in one flew over the cuckoos nest.
Ban it all.

No issue, but look at what you'll have instead. North Korea is a secular society, as was Soviet Russia. Not sure a country of self made men worshipping their maker would be any more palatable.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 4 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 1 2018, 08:57 PM) *
No issue, but look at what you'll have instead. North Korea is a secular society, as was Soviet Russia. Not sure a country of self made men worshipping their maker would be any more palatable.

Both dictatorships. Any country tried a none dictatorship secular society? Can you think of any? Where more than 50% of the population are none believers? Closest I can find is Iceland.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Aug 4 2018, 11:31 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

It beats me why supposed intelligent subscribers still go on about religion as a component of reality and discussion. Eradicate/Redact it from us normal members of the human race. **** OFF. Religion has NO PLACE in ANY conversation. ISLAM more so. Forgive me my leaning. Or was that learning?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 5 2018, 05:59 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Aug 5 2018, 12:31 AM) *
It beats me why supposed intelligent subscribers still go on about religion as a component of reality and discussion. Eradicate/Redact it from us normal members of the human race. **** OFF. Religion has NO PLACE in ANY conversation. ISLAM more so. Forgive me my leaning. Or was that learning?

Always amazes me when supposedly intelligent people try to stifle debate, odd really for people preaching freedom of speech and expression.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 5 2018, 06:22 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 4 2018, 09:14 PM) *
Both dictatorships. Any country tried a none dictatorship secular society? Can you think of any? Where more than 50% of the population are none believers? Closest I can find is Iceland.

The big question is really the influence or control of religion on the state. Population numbers may give some idea, but the 'Do you believe in God?' is a question rarely if ever, asked by census takers anywhere.

So, have we any avowed 'secular' states. The Republic in France is so claimed, and I'd argue New Zealand is another. They certainly work. However, they are necessarily influenced by the electors; so if they, individually, have exercised their choice, it could be said, if they were sufficient in number, that a 'believers lobby group' was influencing the state. That's just the same as any other lobby group though and that's democracy!

One of the key factors in the making of a state is its legal code; that enshrines the state's ethos. Our UK law is based on Mosaic law which has a religious background of course. Many of the EU nation states have legal systems based on Roman law, apparently secular, but when studied, again there was a religious base; that is the pantheon of Roman gods.

The best example of a successful new start is the US Constitution where the founding fathers had discovered that if you threw out one legal system, it had to be replaced with something that really just enhanced the best elements of the old.

Just as other nations find what we do is repugnant, we feel the same about them. Hence the criticality of properly enunciating national values and protecting them. Its in this we find our problems today and something we've not been good at doing. Given politicians will always walk the easy path, its down to 'we the people' to properly maintain that protection - by constantly reminding politicians of where we stand.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
newres
post Aug 5 2018, 07:25 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 5 2018, 06:59 AM) *
Always amazes me when supposedly intelligent people try to stifle debate, odd really for people preaching freedom of speech and expression.

I wouldn't use intelligent in relation to him though. In my opinion you are immediately thick if you use the actions of a tiny minority of a population and ascribe it to the the rest. It's like me saying all celebrities are paedophiles because Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter are/were. It lacks reasoning ability.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Aug 5 2018, 07:57 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Religion is a little like funeral insurance in that neither benefits the subscriber after death, but is embraced just in case there is an afterlife. No scientific evidence substantiates a divine being yet still we choose to believe because it is easier to do so than to question the established status quo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post Aug 5 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 4 2018, 09:14 PM) *

I would bet more than 50% or near of the UK population is agnostic. Like you though, I’m an atheist. The difference is I’m happy for my neighbours to believe. I couldn’t care less. I think there are lots of good things in what we call “Christian values”, but I would think those values are universal rather than specifically Christian.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 5 2018, 01:29 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 5 2018, 11:09 AM) *
I would bet more than 50% or near of the UK population is agnostic. Like you though, I’m an atheist. The difference is I’m happy for my neighbours to believe. I couldn’t care less. I think there are lots of good things in what we call “Christian values”, but I would think those values are universal rather than specifically Christian.

Religion is as ridiculous as the flat earthers. And that movement has grown massively!😂

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Aug 5 2018, 03:49 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 5 2018, 11:09 AM) *

The split on believers/non-believers seems to be a reflection of the brexit division and one would be interested to know if one side favoured remain over leave? Then we could break it down into whether catholics favour european ties over c of e?
Fun this statistics lark. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:39 PM