IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lethal Levels of Air Pollution, How dangerous is it in Newbury?
Blake
post Mar 13 2017, 12:37 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 75

I read with great concern that the air in our towns and cities has become a lethal toxic cocktail amid the explosion/ubiquity of diesel-powered vehicles.

Amid this, I have read little to nothing on how toxic the air is in Newbury and Thatcham; can anyone offer any conclusive data on times and places of dangerous levels of NOX and other toxic emissions locally?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 13 2017, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Blake @ Mar 13 2017, 01:37 AM) *
I read with great concern that the air in our towns and cities has become a lethal toxic cocktail amid the explosion/ubiquity of diesel-powered vehicles.

Amid this, I have read little to nothing on how toxic the air is in Newbury and Thatcham; can anyone offer any conclusive data on times and places of dangerous levels of NOX and other toxic emissions locally?

Should be OK Blake as we were propagandised in the 1990's that the Western By-pass would solve all these problems.
Has it not?
Hmmmmm!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 13 2017, 09:38 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Apparently a major major contribution to this is wood burners. All you green house n homes luvvies out there are killing us with yer argas!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 13 2017, 11:26 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Blake @ Mar 13 2017, 12:37 AM) *

The last report I noted was the Burger King roundabout was above acceptable levels! Not heard a peep since so not sure if any tests are carried out now? If they don't carry out tests then they won't get an answer they don't want. cool.gif
I do believe that when the new junction opens on the A339 to Faraday road then the levels will go well above acceptable levels there?
Still with the kiddies on the skate board ramp and the children's play area sucking it all up it may just be be below dangerous levels?
Of course they can wash off the toxic muck in the new splash pad if it gets too bad!
Who says our Local Authorities don't think of everything? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 13 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

And of course it makes perfect sense to put another set of lights up,more stationary traffic, more fumes, more pollution. The Brothers Grimm do traffic management.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 13 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 13 2017, 12:42 PM) *
And of course it makes perfect sense to put another set of lights up,more stationary traffic, more fumes, more pollution. The Brothers Grimm do traffic management.

Of course a Council spokesman stated that the new junction would not cause any further problems! huh.gif

I suppose as the traffic is already at a standstill most of the time then he is probably correct........just that it will probably mean a longer traffic queue than we already get and so spread the toxic levels over a longer and greater area and of course it will take even longer to get across Newbury.
The last time it was reported that it was taking an hour to get across Newbury the Council stated this was nonsense as it was only taking twenty minutes at most.......until of course it was pointed out that it took 35 to 40 minutes just to reach the Robin Hood roundabout coming from Tunrnpike , Kiln and Shaw Roads and then another twenty minutes to reach the college roundabout. It all seemed to go quiet from the Council spokesperson then. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 13 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

More roundabouts and more lights, that's what we need. Jam the town so solid everyone either runs out of fuel or breaks down. No more pollution, no more problem. Simple. Does this qualify me as a traffic management expert?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 13 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 13 2017, 04:33 PM) *
More roundabouts and more lights, that's what we need. Jam the town so solid everyone either runs out of fuel or breaks down. No more pollution, no more problem. Simple. Does this qualify me as a traffic management expert?

Provided you want at least £150000 annual salary I feel sure you would be admirably suitable for our local Authorities. Well done! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 13 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 13 2017, 06:16 PM) *
Provided you want at least £150000 annual salary I feel sure you would be admirably suitable for our local Authorities. Well done! rolleyes.gif

I think I could manage, need expenses of course. And a car, and some staff.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 13 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 13 2017, 06:48 PM) *
I think I could manage, need expenses of course. And a car, and some staff.

Ok we will have to arrange a meeting to see if we can adjust some expenditure on the most vulnerable in our society to accommodate your requests. I don't foresee any problems as you are more than adequate and suitable for our needs in these trying expenditure times. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 13 2017, 07:29 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 13 2017, 07:05 PM) *
Ok we will have to arrange a meeting to see if we can adjust some expenditure on the most vulnerable in our society to accommodate your requests. I don't foresee any problems as you are more than adequate and suitable for our needs in these trying expenditure times. rolleyes.gif

Sounds good. Oh, by the way in order to display my ecocred I intend to ride in to the office. So I will need somewhere to put the horse. Not a problem I assume? Oh and a groom, of course.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 13 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 13 2017, 07:29 PM) *
Sounds good. Oh, by the way in order to display my ecocred I intend to ride in to the office. So I will need somewhere to put the horse. Not a problem I assume? Oh and a groom, of course.

Ok but as times are really hard you will have to supply your own hay and the horse droppings will have to go on the Supreme Leaders roses! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 13 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 13 2017, 07:42 PM) *
Ok but as times are really hard you will have to supply your own hay and the horse droppings will have to go on the Supreme Leaders roses! rolleyes.gif

Deal!! We can roll the hay into midterm negotiations anyway.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 13 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 13 2017, 07:50 PM) *
Deal!! We can roll the hay into midterm negotiations anyway.

Ok done how soon can you start? If needs be mid term we can raise council tax as it will be for a special cause! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 13 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 13 2017, 08:52 PM) *
Ok done how soon can you start? If needs be mid term we can raise council tax as it will be for a special cause! rolleyes.gif

I'll start last year, I mean, I'm unlikely to achieve much, the taxpayers are footing the bill so really, why not?? I must be due for an upgrade about now. dry.gif

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Blake
post Mar 14 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

Does anyone have any conclusive data on NOX emissions locally?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 14 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Mar 14 2017, 01:28 AM) *

Quick Google this is all I could find.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 14 2017, 10:16 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Mar 14 2017, 12:28 AM) *

Go steady Blake this is the second time of asking............you could end up being declared vexatious? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 14 2017, 10:53 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Blake @ Mar 14 2017, 12:28 AM) *

All I can find is the 2010 report - http://info.westberks.gov.uk/CHttpHandler....d=36580&p=0.

It says that WBC have many NOx monitoring stations so you could perhaps ask them for the raw data as they may well have continued to monitor the levels since 2010.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 14 2017, 12:03 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Mar 13 2017, 01:37 AM) *

Unfortunately the problem here, Blake, is not just diesel powered vehicles which are flavour of the month for "bad press".
Petrol powered vehicles do not breath out fresh air you know!
Even electric powered vehicles have an environmental price to pay somewhere.
The problem is that we all want nice, convenient comfortable cars to take us anywhere we want, we all want to go on holiday in them or in fast planes, we all want nice fresh food in our supermarkets daily, we all want fast, frequent trains, we all want nice, cheap consumer goods from the other side of the world and we all want our electrical powered appliances to come on when we snitch them on.
Oh and we all want nice warm homes.
And, it seems, most want to continue the ever increasing population of the UK / World.
BUT..... nobody seems to want to pay the environmental price for all of this.
What a conundrum eh?? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:43 AM