> Parking 'Wardens'
Bartholomew
post Aug 16 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 261

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 16 2009, 11:04 AM) *
I had never had a problem parking in Newbury before the wardens arrived, equally I had never witnessed irresponsible parking or traffic built up as a result of bad parking. Therefore I don't think they are really fulfilling a necessary purpose. However with their being so many changes happeneing all at once in Newbury, it is difficult t tell these days what has changed for better or worse.

Newbury has always had parking wardens. There were fewer of them and their purpose was to keep the roads clear and not to make money.

For many years, the 2 or 3 wardens unobtrusively did what was needed. Ocassionally there were issues and they weren't available but I found this ok.

I think what has caused the increase in numbers and harder approach is that pedestrianisation has caused traffic issues, especially around the Bear Lane area. Squeezing the motorist out means that there will be more congestion. It is unfortunate that WBC chose this approach to deal with the issues.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 16 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (buttonf1 @ Aug 15 2009, 01:59 PM) *
Also bear in mind that the national average wage is close to #24k.

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 15 2009, 02:34 PM) *
£24k? You're kidding, where does that figure come from?

QUOTE (Government statistics)
The results of the 2008 ASHE show that median weekly pay for full-time employees in the UK grew by 4.6 per cent in the year to April 2008 to reach £479. Median earnings of full-time male employees was £521 per week in April 2008; for women the median was £412.

Translating that into meaningful figures (p.a.), that's £24,900 (mean), £27,000 (male), and £21,400 (female).
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 16 2009, 11:24 AM) *
Several, actually! wink.gif In Pangbourne and Theale.

You'll be what they call a seasoned traveller, then. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
buttonf1
post Aug 22 2009, 06:29 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 235

i hate all of you. newbury people are insufferable

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 22 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (buttonf1 @ Aug 22 2009, 07:29 PM) *

That's the spirit my friend wink.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 22 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

ohmy.gif

Cam down, calm down it's only a forum!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 22 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 22 2009, 08:12 PM) *
ohmy.gif

Cam down, calm down it's only a forum!

I think he is being paid to put a bit of steel and umph into these boards laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Aug 22 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

Ahh thanks, I've always wanted to be insufferable, I shall die happy now. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy
post Aug 23 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

Why, what's up buffoon1?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 23 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Not another West Berkshire Council employee! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 23 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 23 2009, 10:07 AM) *
Not another West Berkshire Council employee! rolleyes.gif

More likely a traffic warden.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 24 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 23 2009, 10:39 AM) *
More likely a traffic warden.

Or a Taxi driver laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 26 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Is a job description available from WBC for the role of Civic Enforcement Officer?
I would be interested to see what their role is and whether they are set any targets etc.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 26 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

That sounds like a Freedom of Information request .... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 6 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I received a ticket almost a year ago for failing to pay and display, (I had bought a ticket and displayed it), and have been fighting it ever since. In court despite having the original ticket still I was found guilty and ordered to pay the fine and all the costs (over £200). The reason for this is that the ticket was not stuck to the windscreen on the drivers side but placed on the passengers side dashboard. The judge said that in here opinion the council were nothing short of bullies for pursuing the matter and that she wished she could be on my side. However although the council were not acting within the spirit of the law, they had the letter of it on their side. I can't afford to pursue it any further but anyone defending these greenback ******** should not be so quick to assume they are only dealing with blatent breaches of the rulings, they are out to get all of us.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 6 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 6 2009, 05:27 PM) *
I received a ticket almost a year ago for failing to pay and display, (I had bought a ticket and displayed it), and have been fighting it ever since. In court despite having the original ticket still I was found guilty and ordered to pay the fine and all the costs (over £200). The reason for this is that the ticket was not stuck to the windscreen on the drivers side but placed on the passengers side dashboard. The judge said that in here opinion the council were nothing short of bullies for pursuing the matter and that she wished she could be on my side. However although the council were not acting within the spirit of the law, they had the letter of it on their side. I can't afford to pursue it any further but anyone defending these grenback ******** should not be so quick to assume they are only dealing with blatent breaches of the rulings, they are out to get all of us.

I think that's shocking. If the Council had any sense of decency or indeed justice, then given the Judges comments, they'd have paid you back. Its these petty fogging mean minded attitudes that get local government such a bad name. They are there to serve.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
regor
post Sep 6 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

Talking of injustice, perceived or real, I also got a ticket a couple of years ago.

I had bought an hour ticket and failed to get back in time, 13 minutes overdue.

Well. OK, a minor crime, but fair enough, I was guilty and paid the fine. It was only afterwards that it was pointed out to me that the fine would have been exactly the same if i had not bought a ticket at all and left my vehicle there all day.

Is there no sense of proportionality in these matters?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 6 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Strafin - that's really mean.

On the other hand there are some councils that are more accomodating. Visiting Windsor one day, I bought a pay-and-display ticket, and put it on the dashboard on the driver's side. When I shut the door it must have blown over, because when I got back, it was upside down and I had a parking ticket.

I wrote to Windsor & Maidenhead council to apologise, explaining what must have happened. I enclosed my ticket as proof that it was valid at the time the parking ticket was issued and they rescinded the fine.

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Sep 6 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 6 2009, 06:12 PM) *
Strafin - that's really mean.

On the other hand there are some councils that are more accomodating. Visiting Windsor one day, I bought a pay-and-display ticket, and put it on the dashboard on the driver's side. When I shut the door it must have blown over, because when I got back, it was upside down and I had a parking ticket.

I wrote to Windsor & Maidenhead council to apologise, explaining what must have happened. I enclosed my ticket as proof that it was valid at the time the parking ticket was issued and they rescinded the fine.

I think the key to this matter JeffG is the fact that you wrote an appology to the council concerned. They are more likely to be sympathetic if you write an appology rather than writing in anger and start quoting the usual "I pay my taxes, I pay your wages, This is a disgrace, This is a waste of tax payers money Etc. etc. etc........"
Strange that! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 6 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Just do what I do, don't shop in Newbury. The Retail Park and Tesco cover most bases.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 6 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Sep 6 2009, 06:45 PM) *
I think the key to this matter JeffG is the fact that you wrote an appology to the council concerned. They are more likely to be sympathetic if you write an appology rather than writing in anger and start quoting the usual "I pay my taxes, I pay your wages, This is a disgrace, This is a waste of tax payers money Etc. etc. etc........"
Strange that! wink.gif

How do you know that I didn't? Do you work there? Was it you who pursued it and put me and my wife through months of worry? Wouldn't suprise me, you seem the vindictive type.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:34 AM