Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Newbury Society Chair resigns over the Pavilion
Iommi
post Dec 3 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

I regret to read that an Ex-mayor of Newbury, Mr Gary Poulson, has found himself needing to resign over the pavilion project. Given what the Newbury Society was formed for, this can only serve to deepen the distrust some feel about this project and the influence The New Greenham Trust has on Newbury, this project in particular.

Not a good day for Newbury.

http://www.newbury-society.org.uk/

The Newbury Society is established for the public benefit for the following purposes in the area comprising the former Borough of Newbury together with the adjacent civil parishes.

To stimulate public interest and educate the public in the geography, history, natural history and architecture of the area of benefit, and in the transport and communications serving it.

To promote high standards of planning and architecture in or affecting the area of benefit.

To secure the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of historic or public interest in the area of benefit.

To promote civic pride in the area of benefit.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 3 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

This is the article to which Iommi refers, and which explains why Garry felt he needed to resign.

The mention of the Facebook name "Vicky Park" is ambiguous however, since there are several (and several "Victoria Park"s), none of which appears to relate to Newbury's park. There is one that does, though, called "We want a pavilion in the park", which has six members!

+Quote Post
ropey
post Dec 3 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 353

[quote name='Iommi' date='Dec 3 2009, 02:27 PM' post='11669']
I regret to read that an Ex-mayor of Newbury, Mr Gary Poulson, has found himself needing to resign over the pavilion project. Given what the Newbury Society was formed for, this can only serve to deepen the distrust some feel about this project and the influence The New Greenham Trust has on Newbury, this project in particular.

Not a good day for Newbury.

Gary Poulson is a man of some influence, experience and integrity, if he feels this way then watch out for the rest of us, I am writing to the council today and urge others to do the same. The aspirations of West Berkshire council Greenham Common Trust, Sir Peter Micheal, Stuart Tagg and all are without integrity on this matter of the park it seems, a shoddy process full of spin and exageration, both men have remained silent on the matter, whilst others are happy to stand up and be counted. Its a pity that Gary has left the Newbury Society, he was the best thing that happened to it in years, but I can see why he left. Perhaps he will go back with public support

Indeed not a good day for Newbury

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 3 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Using the moniker “Vicky Park”, the user claimed that a majority of the responses had been negative and urged the younger generation to write to the council to support the plans.
However, the council leader Graham Jones (Con, Lambourn) insisted that this was not the case and that the views were equally balanced.

They must be worried - to admit to 'equally balanced' is a huge come down from the '80% support' they were shouting about a few weeks back. Surely they need a better mandate than 'equally balanced' to force through this plan.

The situation with Garry Poulson is dreadful - he evidently fears that his opposition to the pavilion in the high profile role of chair of the Newbury Society will so aggreive councillors, etc that it would reduce the funding they might give to the Volunteer Centre. Does this mean that no one else in receipt of WBC, NGT largesse will dare speak up? Is this what democracy is about?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 3 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 3 2009, 06:00 PM) *
The situation with Garry Poulson is dreadful - he evidently fears that his opposition to the pavilion in the high profile role of chair of the Newbury Society will so aggreive councillors, etc that it would reduce the funding they might give to the Volunteer Centre. Does this mean that no one else in receipt of WBC, NGT largesse will dare speak up? Is this what democracy is about?

This is exactly what I was thinking, this whole situation gets smellier every week! There is something very rotten about this affair.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 3 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

What is going on in this town that Mr Poulson feels that the Volunteer centre of which he is a director will be punished because he has the nerve to not support the Pavilion sponsored by the same two sources of finance, West Berks Council and Greenham Common Trust.

Almost amounts to blackmail in my book.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 3 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Garry was placed in an impossible position. Blackmail or not, there's an old adage that you do not bite the hand that feeds you.

No doubt the Newbury Society will continue to strongly oppose the Pavilion on aesthetic grounds, where they might have felt the need to be somewhat muted if Garry was still at the helm.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 3 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

What sort of people are running these two concerns if they take their toys home if they don't get their own way. I assumed that they were both run by adults. Gary Poulson obviously thinks otherwise.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 4 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 3 2009, 07:47 PM) *
What sort of people are running these two concerns if they take their toys home if they don't get their own way. I assumed that they were both run by adults. Gary Poulson obviously thinks otherwise.
To me this looks like a politically motivated move by the "Save Victoria Park From Development" campaign.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 4 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 4 2009, 05:51 PM) *
To me this looks like a politically motivated move by the "Save Victoria Park From Development" campaign.

And all power to it.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 4 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 4 2009, 05:53 PM) *
And all power to it.
It's a shame they have to resort to this sort of thing, perhaps they feel they have lost the debate.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 4 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 4 2009, 05:58 PM) *
It's a shame they have to resort to this sort of thing,

I agree it's a dreadful shame that Garry has succombed to the pressure.

perhaps they feel they have lost the debate.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif What a joker!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 4 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

It's a shame they have to resort to this sort of thing, perhaps they feel they have lost the debate.

What debate?

This is an Ex-mayor and someone who lives and breaths Newbury; for you to speak as you do, just sickens me.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 5 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 4 2009, 09:36 PM) *
This is an Ex-mayor and someone who lives and breaths Newbury; for you to speak as you do, just sickens me.
You could play cricket for England with spin like that.

It's obviously a political move from the "Save Victoria Park From Development" campaign.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 5 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 5 2009, 10:21 AM) *

It's obviously a political move from the "Save Victoria Park From Development" campaign.

Sadly English spinners are rarely of a particularly high standard - especially when it comes down to spinning the ball.

You, however, would meet the standard required to spin for India or Sri Lanka, even Shane Warne could not compete with your spinning talents.

Its a shame you choose to keep your head firmly buried in the sand to avoid seeing what is really happening around you.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 5 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

And you're a member of the "Concrete over Victoria Park" campaign, I suppose.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 5 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Spin...? My comments regard Garry Poulson are fact.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 5 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 5 2009, 10:52 AM) *
And you're a member of the "Concrete over Victoria Park" campaign, I suppose.
No. I'm in favour of it being used sensibly and all the year round as much as it can be. We have plenty of green, open space in Newbury which is under used. Replacing a muddy bank with something for the young people in Newbury to do seems common sense to me. We're only storing up problems if we don't give them something like this.
QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 5 2009, 11:12 AM) *
Spin...? My comments regard Garry Poulson are fact.
The "Ex-mayor" bit is fact, yes.

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post Dec 5 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 5 2009, 01:43 PM) *
No. I'm in favour of it being used sensibly and all the year round as much as it can be. We have plenty of green, open space in Newbury which is under used. Replacing a muddy bank with something for the young people in Newbury to do seems common sense to me. We're only storing up problems if we don't give them something like this.The "Ex-mayor" bit is fact, yes.

The proposed pavilion will take up an area a lot larger than just a "muddy bank" - and if it does go ahead the comings and goings during the construction period will turn the area into more of a "muddy park" for a long time. No one would deny the young people a good facility - so why not simply improve the Waterside Centre? Also I thought it was supposed to a facility for all?

Also, I hate to quibble but I think technically Garry is a "former mayor", not an "ex mayor"! But either way it's not relevant what he once was - the point is he has a passion for Newbury which has proved inspiring to many and raised issues for discussion. He's not afraid to share his opinion knowing not everyone may agree, but thank god there's still people around who will do that - so yes - big loss to the Newbury Society - but hopefully not a permanent one.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 5 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Supporters of the pavilion are repeatedly justifying its build on the basis of a need within Newbury for an arts and youth centre. This is a totally spurious argument as few of those opposing the pavilion are opposing the provision of arts and youth facilities within the town.

The real issue about the pavilion is that there is no justification whatsoever for putting an arts and youth centre in the park.

The only reason that the park has been chosen as the location is financial - the land will cost WBC nothing and, unlike alternative sites (eg one of the Wharf car parks) is not currently generating any revenue.. This is not a good enough reason to give up any of the park.

The chosen site is actually a very poor one on all other counts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:02 AM