> Allotment Dispute
Bofem
post Feb 25 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #161

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

QUOTE (panda @ Feb 23 2011, 11:52 PM) *
Newbury Town Council out of control?? Your the one out of control.

Out of control's a bit strong, though they've been close to it with this awful vendetta. There's some similarities with the Town Centre Partnership, in that they end up doing lots of what we don't want and not much of what we do. Although one is elected and the other is not, both groups tend to go on the offensive if criticised.

Who asked for the Clocktower to be lit up?
Who asked for solar panels on the town hall roof?
Who asked for a promotional video?

The problem is the demise of public service ethos. This is how you end up with a parish council with 20 staff that costs Newbury £1m a year.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Feb 25 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #162

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

QUOTE (Bofem @ Feb 25 2011, 01:04 PM) *
Out of control's a bit strong, though they've been close to it with this awful vendetta. There's some similarities with the Town Centre Partnership, in that they end up doing lots of what we don't want and not much of what we do. Although one is elected and the other is not, both groups tend to go on the offensive if criticised.

Who asked for the Clocktower to be lit up?
Who asked for solar panels on the town hall roof?
Who asked for a promotional video?

The problem is the demise of public service ethos. This is how you end up with a parish council with 20 staff that costs Newbury £1m a year.

You replied to the panda...you brave person.... wink.gif Do you know how much trouble that caused me the other day?! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 14 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #163

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

The Town Council maintain notice boards on all six of their allotment sites but they haven't posted their press release. Having gone to the trouble of making a press-release that is really only interesting if you have an allotment it would have made a lot of sense to post it where allotmenteers are going to read it.

Unless of course the Council don't want other allotmenteers knowing what they've done.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 15 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #164

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 14 2011, 09:00 PM) *
The Town Council maintain notice boards on all six of their allotment sites but they haven't posted their press release. Having gone to the trouble of making a press-release that is really only interesting if you have an allotment it would have made a lot of sense to post it where allotmenteers are going to read it.

Unless of course the Council don't want other allotmenteers knowing what they've done.

It's just silly games Simon. Did you complain about it?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 15 2011, 07:19 PM
Post #165

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 14 2011, 09:00 PM) *

Speaks volumes about NTC doesn't it? wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 15 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #166

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 15 2011, 07:19 PM) *
Speaks volumes about NTC doesn't it? wink.gif

Yes, I think it does.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 24 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #167

Advanced Member

I have asked the Council for the minute of the 10 February sub-committee that decided not to persue the rent arrears but to serve notice to quit. I need to see the minute because it creates the legal authority for the council to terminate my tenancy agreement, and it would be helpful to see their official decision.

The Council have refused to let me see the minutes.

The first resolution in the meeting was: RESOLVED: That under Section 1, Paragraph 2 of The Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 the press and public be excluded from the meeting (apart from legal and officer support) for the following items of business because publicity would be prejudicial to the public interest by reason of the private legal argument nature of the business to be transacted.

I cannot therefore supply you with a copy of the minutes.

It's true that the press and public can be excluded from a parish council meeting, but I believe I have an absolute right to see parish council minutes under S.228 Local Government Act 1972 and that it is an offence for the Council to refuse to let me have a true copy. Any idea how I enforce my right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 24 2011, 01:20 PM
Post #168

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 24 2011, 12:06 PM) *
I have asked the Council for the minute of the 10 February sub-committee that decided not to persue the rent arrears but to serve notice to quit. I need to see the minute because it creates the legal authority for the council to terminate my tenancy agreement, and it would be helpful to see their official decision.

The Council have refused to let me see the minutes.

It's true that the press and public can be excluded from a parish council meeting, but I believe I have an absolute right to see parish council minutes under S.228 Local Government Act 1972 and that it is an offence for the Council to refuse to let me have a true copy. Any idea how I enforce my right?

Legally I would expect?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 24 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #169

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 24 2011, 01:20 PM) *
Legally I would expect?

rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 24 2011, 02:14 PM
Post #170

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Mar 24 2011, 01:20 PM) *
Legally I would expect?

Can you say any more specifically? The LGA makes it an offence to refuse access, so do I go to the police? Does the Information Commissioner have the power to order the Council to release the minutes?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Mar 24 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #171

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 24 2011, 02:14 PM) *
Can you say any more specifically? The LGA makes it an offence to refuse access, so do I go to the police? Does the Information Commissioner have the power to order the Council to release the minutes?

Who did you request it from? If you request it from the chief exec, he should include details of what steps are available should you not be happy with their decision.

Alternative, seek a court order to release the documents. As the minutes refer to you specifically, they have to disclose them to you on request I would say.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Mar 24 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #172

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 24 2011, 02:14 PM) *

Yes. I believe Local Government Ombudsman doesn't look after parish councils, and the Standards Board of West Berkshire (which used to do it) is being wound up I think. So I'd go for Information Commissioner.

But let me get this straight.....the council who issue press releases about you won't let you know the rationale behind their decision to throw you off your allotment?

If so, then keep going Simon. I feel sure that heads must roll soon. mellow.gif

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 24 2011, 04:37 PM
Post #173

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bofem @ Mar 24 2011, 04:26 PM) *
But let me get this straight.....the council who issue press releases about you won't let you know the rationale behind their decision to throw you off your allotment?

I know, it's bonkers - The Council officer told me:
I cannot therefore supply you with a copy of the minutes. However the outcome of the meeting was as reported in our public statement as published at: http://www.newbury.gov.uk/News/News%202011...mentdispute.pdf

So why withold the minutes, unless they don't tell quite the same story as the press release.

I have asked the Council to review their decision, and after that I am able to go to the Information Commissioner if the document isn't released.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HJD
post Mar 26 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #174

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

Don't start singing on your allotment Simon or you could be right in the s***. Check this out. rolleyes.gif

http://www.wilson-nesbitt.co.uk/articles/2...neighbours.html

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 26 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #175

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HJD @ Mar 26 2011, 12:45 PM) *
Don't start singing on your allotment Simon or you could be right in the s***. Check this out. rolleyes.gif

http://www.wilson-nesbitt.co.uk/articles/2...neighbours.html

It's happened already. I organised a Big Lunch on site in 2009 and the Falkland Shed Collective Ale Voice Choir performed What Shall We Do With The Drunken Gardener, and yes, the Council complained - four voices and a squeeze-box, no amps or anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 26 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #176

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 26 2011, 01:28 PM) *
It's happened already. I organised a Big Lunch on site in 2009 and the Falkland Shed Collective Ale Voice Choir performed What Shall We Do With The Drunken Gardener, and yes, the Council complained - four voices and a squeeze-box, no amps or anything.
Don't most people spend time on their allotment for a bit of peace and quiet?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 26 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #177

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 26 2011, 01:30 PM) *

Only from the Missus! wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 26 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #178

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 26 2011, 01:30 PM) *

We had the Council's permission and everything, and there were quite a few of us and it is our allotments after all. But as I understand it the complaint was made on behalf of a site neighbour, though to be honest I think it was the Council just making a bit of mischief.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 26 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #179

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 26 2011, 04:42 PM) *
We had the Council's permission and everything, and there were quite a few of us and it is our allotments after all. But as I understand it the complaint was made on behalf of a site neighbour, though to be honest I think it was the Council just making a bit of mischief.

Ah but did you not invite the local councillors? They like to be in on the free lunches you know and to be able to claim more expenses. Perhaps you should grow some bamboo so that you can try and sweeten the dreaded Panda. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:05 AM