IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Hoorah', WBC to presson with on street parking charges!
Andy Capp
post Jul 4 2013, 12:54 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I understand that after the rubber stamping public consultation process, West Berks Council are to press on with on street parking charges. Even more reason to avoid the town.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Claude
post Jul 4 2013, 07:46 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

Hi Andy,

I'm not sure I fully understand your comments, could you ellaborate please?

Are you upset that footfall into the town centre will likely be reduced as a result of this scheme? If so, why does it matter to you whether it does or not?

Or are you bothered about it because when you do go to town your current free parking will in future no longer be free, meaning you'll either have to pay or park somewhere else and walk further?

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jul 4 2013, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

It means why the **** would one go to Newbury, pay relatively large amounts of money for crappy parking, when one can "make a day of it" and go to Basingstoke, pay 3 quid to park for 2 hours and enjoy a comfortable, high quality shopping center with ample parking.
The reduced footfall into the town would REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE SHOPPING
Ergo the town dies.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
newres
post Jul 4 2013, 08:53 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Maybe it is because we live busy lives and sometimes we just need to pop in to pay cheques in, pick up some batteries, a prescription or whatever and now we will have to pay to do so? When I go to town, I walk or cycle as I live nearby, but sometimes I just need to accomplish one task en route. Walking or cycling is not practical.

Maybe also it is because, despite how WBC dress it up, it really is just revenue earner and justification for the ridiculous number of parking enforcement officers we have?

+Quote Post
Claude
post Jul 4 2013, 09:06 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Jul 4 2013, 09:53 AM) *
The town dies.

This is what I don't understand.

If there is no demand for the shops in the town centre they will all close, but what difference does it make to you or I?

We obviously satisfice our current demand by shopping elsewhere, be that at a supermarket, out of town shopping centre, or by going to a nearby town with better & more facilities & services, so won't we just continue to do that?

+Quote Post
Claude
post Jul 4 2013, 09:08 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Jul 4 2013, 09:53 AM) *
pay cheques in

They still exist? wink.gif

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jul 4 2013, 09:39 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

Maybe also it is because, despite how WBC dress it up, it really is just revenue earner and justification for the ridiculous number of parking enforcement officers we have?

Also known as "Fund a Market Street Moron"! wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 4 2013, 11:16 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

pay cheques in

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 4 2013, 10:08 AM) *

Yes, and they are likely to be needed for the foreseeable future. I sometimes receive a cheque for expenses and it is a right pain to have to make a trip into town to pay it in.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 4 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 4 2013, 08:46 AM) *
I'm not sure I fully understand your comments, could you ellaborate please?

I understand that the council received 1,700 objections (including town councillors), but are to continue regardless. All I'm saying is that on-street parking makes popping into town even more unattractive. I'm thinking maybe for going to get a takeaway, or going to the bank, or picking a friend or family member up, etc.

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 4 2013, 08:46 AM) *
Are you upset that footfall into the town centre will likely be reduced as a result of this scheme? If so, why does it matter to you whether it does or not? Or are you bothered about it because when you do go to town your current free parking will in future no longer be free, meaning you'll either have to pay or park somewhere else and walk further?

I speak as a potential service user, not provider. I resent that 'my' Newbury town is turning into a place that I don't like to visit. Already we have to pay to park in the evening (all for what, because we have a new shopping centre (and cinema), largely populated with shops we already had!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 4 2013, 04:48 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 4 2013, 12:32 PM) *
I understand that the council received 1,700 objections (including town councillors), but are to continue regardless.

And that is true dictatorial democracy. Listen to the people and then ignore them. Hitler isn't dead, just spirited himself into others. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 4 2013, 07:35 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (motormad @ Jul 4 2013, 09:53 AM) *
It means why the **** would one go to Newbury, pay relatively large amounts of money for crappy parking, when one can "make a day of it" and go to Basingstoke, pay 3 quid to park for 2 hours and enjoy a comfortable, high quality shopping center with ample parking.

Shopping queen.... Are you Imelda Marcos? ...or Gok Wan in disguise maybe? Are you that keen on shopping centres and browsing around Debenhams that you’d go all the way into Boringstoke just to save a couple of quid on parking? Spend a couple (on petrol) to save a couple. That’s logical innit...

Maybe it is because we live busy lives and sometimes we just need to pop in to pay cheques in, pick up some batteries, a prescription or whatever and now we will have to pay to do so?

I thought it was first 30 minutes free.... ummm... just like it is at the moment in Bartholomew St etc.. And after 6pm the charges wouldn’t apply (re Andy’s comment on popping in for takeaway etc)

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 4 2013, 12:32 PM) *
I understand that the council received 1,700 objections (including town councillors), but are to continue regardless.

Around 48,000 people living in Newbury/Thatcham area, yet only 1,700 signatures? Try harder...... or perhaps people aren’t that bothered about it...?

Having a quick flick through they say they've changed what was originally put forward, based on the objections received, so 'ploughing on regardless' is perhaps not entirely accurate?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 4 2013, 08:14 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 4 2013, 08:35 PM) *
Around 48,000 people living in Newbury/Thatcham area, yet only 1,700 signatures? Try harder...... or perhaps people aren’t that bothered about it...?

Or don't even know?

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 4 2013, 08:35 PM) *
Having a quick flick through they say they've changed what was originally put forward, based on the objections received, so 'ploughing on regardless' is perhaps not entirely accurate?

For the sake of accuracy, I said 'continue', not 'ploughing'; however, they are continuing with on street parking charges as far as I know.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 4 2013, 08:51 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 4 2013, 09:14 PM) *
Or don't even know?

ahh yes... the old "I don't buy a local paper or take an interest in local issues" argument, yet I still expect to be kept informed.... Doesn't wash really does it surely? Still, I suppose the Council could arrange for 4,800 unemployed people to go around and knock on 100 doors each and provide individual briefings on the doorstep. (That's what people EXPECT should happen right? rolleyes.gif Or spend £££££s on postage and leaflets sent to every household so they can stick it in the wastebin without reading.) Such a cynic, but that's what happens...

For the sake of accuracy, I said 'continue', not 'ploughing'; however, they are continuing with on street parking as far as I know.

Well if we're going to paint ourselves into Pedant's Corner then as far as I know they're only going to the next stage, which is more consultation.... This time it's of the 'statutory' kind. More legal hoops to jump through and plenty of opportunity still for people to get involved and stick a pole through the spokes of this particular slow-turning wheel of local government and bring it to an abrupt halt.... But that's only if people can be bovvered...

And if we're going to be frightfully accurate (and I think we should), do you mean they're 'continuing with on street charging'....?? wink.gif I mean on street parking is happening every day of the week already....... tongue.gif (I'm too old for a lol,.... but lol laugh.gif )

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jul 4 2013, 09:02 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

Whilst they are at it why don't they charge WBC employees for use of the public car parks. That should raise a few extra quid!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 4 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 4 2013, 09:51 PM) *
ahh yes... the old "I don't buy a local paper or take an interest in local issues" argument, yet I still expect to be kept informed.... Doesn't wash really does it surely? Still, I suppose the Council could arrange for 4,800 unemployed people to go around and knock on 100 doors each and provide individual briefings on the doorstep. (That's what people EXPECT should happen right? rolleyes.gif Or spend £££££s on postage and leaflets sent to every household so they can stick it in the wastebin without reading.) Such a cynic, but that's what happens...

Perhaps you could tell me how many letters of support there were?

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 4 2013, 09:51 PM) *
Well if we're going to paint ourselves into Pedant's Corner then as far as I know they're only going to the next stage, which is more consultation.... This time it's of the 'statutory' kind. More legal hoops to jump through and plenty of opportunity still for people to get involved and stick a pole through the spokes of this particular slow-turning wheel of local government and bring it to an abrupt halt.... But that's only if people can be bovvered...

And if we're going to be frightfully accurate (and I think we should), do you mean they're 'continuing with on street charging'....?? wink.gif I mean on street parking is happening every day of the week already....... tongue.gif (I'm too old for a lol,.... but lol laugh.gif )

It was you that brought the notion of accuracy to the table, so I fail to see why I deserve your sarcasm, other than for my random typo (now amended). rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jul 4 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Or don't even know?

I certainly didn't know of any petition or would have signed up against parking charges..

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jul 5 2013, 08:21 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (motormad @ Jul 4 2013, 10:26 PM) *
I certainly didn't know of any petition or would have signed up against parking charges..

As with the switch to fortnightly bin collections, WBC had already made up their mind,
didn't want representative public opinion, as democracy can be challenging for them.

Wantage saw the light on charges relative to customer foot fall some years back:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-14081580

+Quote Post
newres
post Jul 5 2013, 07:15 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 4 2013, 10:08 AM) *

Er yes. Not every one is as "down with the kids" as you.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 5 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Jul 5 2013, 09:21 AM) *
Wantage saw the light on charges relative to customer foot fall some years back:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-14081580

I see two little flies in the ointment from that article you link to from 2011....

One; Central Govt at that time had a £250,000 handout available they were prepared allocate to 'make up the shortfall'. That isn't available any more. And like it or not the word 'shortfall' is not something that is going to help keep your council going and providing services. You either do without, or you find other funding to help make up 'the shortfall'.

Two; Who the he*l wants to shop in Wantage? laugh.gif (apart from motormad obviously, as she's the shopping queen..). Hardly Shopper's Paradise is it? (I'm no expert though - I thought I'd just throw that one in there)

ah yes, and my own attention to detail obviously doesn't stretch as far as simple mathematics. However my schoolboy error seems to have slipped under the radar unnoticed (4,800 people knocking on 100 doors would need a population of 480,000). Let's just employ 480 of the local unemployed and unwashed instead to knock on those 100 doors each....

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 5 2013, 08:03 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 5 2013, 08:27 PM) *
You either do without, or you find other funding to help make up 'the shortfall'.

There is a potential third option: remove the excess and inefficiency in the council's service provision and fund free parking from the savings.

I have little evidence that WBC are inefficient or that they fund inessential services which could be cut without unreasonable inconvenience to service users, but it's possible. I simply don't trust our elected councillors to have scrutinised where the council spends our tax so it's my gut-feeling that there are savings to be made - it certainly feels like I pay more than enough tax for the services the council provides.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:16 AM