5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stolen Red Blackberry 9300, wifes phone stolen in town from pocket
mungo
post Nov 30 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,257

My wife had her pocket picked today in Newbury Town center, they stole her red blackberry 9300. The imei number is 3580330416230921, this is now blocked both on the phone and sim, it also has blackberry protect activated and searching for it, if anyone offers it for sale in the classified ads please ring Newbury Police.

Sadly it was not insured and was her birthday present, and we can not afford to replace it. Please watch your pockets when in town now, xmas is coming and obviously the pick pockets are now operating.

It would be appreciated if this information was passed as far and wide as possible.

Thank you
Garry

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Nov 30 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

Thanks for the warning - I had not considered the threat of pickpockets operating in Newbury.

Regards

+Quote Post
mungo
post Nov 30 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #3

It has been placed on ebay, facebook, here, the police, newbury freegle cafe. So hopefully whoever dipped her pocket will realise it is now worthless and hand it in all innocently but I still doubt it.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Nov 30 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

The last few years I have noticed a decline in morality, respect etc in Newbury. The left of your blackberry is sadly a common occurrence now in Newbury. The police are either nowhere around or ineffective. Criminals have rights and the common person has to stand by and watch in disgust.

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 30 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Nov 30 2011, 08:45 PM) *
The last few years I have noticed a decline in morality, respect etc in Newbury. The left of your blackberry is sadly a common occurrence now in Newbury. The police are either nowhere around or ineffective. Criminals have rights and the common person has to stand by and watch in disgust.
This is untrue.

The theft of a mobile phone is not a common occurrence in Newbury and the law abiding citizen doesn't have to stand by and watch in disgust when a crime is committed.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Nov 30 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 30 2011, 09:11 PM) *
This is untrue.

The theft of a mobile phone is not a common occurrence in Newbury and the law abiding citizen doesn't have to stand by and watch in disgust when a crime is committed.

It is true; not all mobiles that are stolen get reported or is published in the papers.

Then what do you expect them to do?

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 30 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Nov 30 2011, 09:15 PM) *
It is true; not all mobiles that are stolen get reported or is published in the papers.
What evidence do you have to support this your supposition?

I've got around 150 friends and acquaintances on Facebook who live in Newbury. I can't remember one of them ever posting that they've had their phone stolen in Newbury.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Nov 30 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 30 2011, 09:23 PM) *

I've got around 150 friends and acquaintances on Facebook who live in Newbury. I can't remember one of them ever posting that they've had their phone stolen in Newbury.

My boyfriends cousin is a police officer and he told us. On top of that my boyfriend and I have also many friends within Newbury and its surrounding areas and they have told us that they have had problems or know of problems with stolen phones. Your experience tells you one thing, as mine tells me another. I can not offer anything more than what I have just said.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

You might be right user23, but yours is no proof of there being no increase. Indeed, if HeatherW is the first person you have heard to have had their phone nicked, then it must be on the increase, if not a common one! wink.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Perhaps you could ask them rather than assuming that no report means no theft (though that is, of course, the police approach).

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Nov 30 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 30 2011, 09:29 PM) *
You might be right user23, but yours is no proof of there being no increase. Indeed, if HeatherW is the first person you have heard to have had their phone nicked, then it must be on the increase, if not a common one! wink.gif

I would presme that I am one of many he has not heard of.

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 30 2011, 09:32 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Nov 30 2011, 09:29 PM) *
My boyfriends cousin is a police officer and he told us. On top of that my boyfriend and I have also many friends within Newbury and its surrounding areas and they have told us that they have had problems or know of problems with stolen phones. Your experience tells you one thing, as mine tells me another. I can not offer anything more than what I have just said.
Fair enough.

You did say "not all mobiles that are stolen get reported or is published in the papers" so I don't know how the police officer would know how many are or aren't stolen if this is the case.
QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 30 2011, 09:29 PM) *
Perhaps you could ask them rather than assuming that no report means no theft (though that is, of course, the police approach).
I'm thinking theft of one's phone would most likely be published in a status update.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Nov 30 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 30 2011, 09:32 PM) *
Fair enough.

You did say "not all mobiles that are stolen get reported or is published in the papers" so I don't know how the police

The police know many things, but unless thefts are officially reported then they cannot do anything about it. To be honest I am baffled to why people do not want to make their theft official.

+Quote Post
mungo
post Nov 30 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #14

Without hurting peoples feelings or causing further to an argument.

May I suggest that not only do they not expect such a small thing to be found or returned, but that in the event of a court case they feel vulnerable to the thief and his familys attentions, also that the cps will keep the item for months till court and so they can not wait that long and replace it as a loss. There is also the fact of police manpower and the old cost v labour aspect of it, lets face it they are not about to bring in the yard to help over a stolen phone, and it is never going to be a priority, they usually turn up when the thief is nicked for some more major crime.

Then there is the fact that no one likes to look stupid that they had their phone stolen from their person, it implies a vulnerability that leaves them open to others doing the same to them.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 30 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Could I ask, how do you know it was a pickpocket? Did someone bump into your wife or was anyone doing something suspicious? I am just wondering if there is any probability of it being lost rather than stolen as I actually haven't heard of phones being stolen that much.

+Quote Post
mungo
post Nov 30 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #16

From what I know and she explained ( she is still very distraught and upset ! ) she had it in her outer coat pocket, she went into both the book shop in the kennet center and that spice shop opposite, she remembers someone bumping into her and I believe it was taken then, but that is just my opinion, classic nudge and steal as I call it, I know it was on when taken as a friend ang her, it rang twice and was then turned off.

I have no idea why, but she is still out of her mind that I will lose my temper with her because I saved up for months to get it for her and she feels she let me and the boys down badly as they went without things so I could buy it, and I can't calm her down over that aspect ( All I will say is past abusive male relationships some 12 years ago leave her scarred ). In fact all she repeats is that I had warned her enough times in the past about her pockets etc,and she is so so sorry, she had a habit of leaving her handbag in the trolley when shopping and I had to take control of it enough times. I don't hold out much hope for the blackberry protect system either , it shows my phone as being in whitchurch yet I am sat in woolton hill !.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 30 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I don't suppose Kennet Shopping has any operative CCTV?

+Quote Post
mungo
post Nov 30 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #18

I have no idea, I rarely if ever venture out due to disability, I do know the security man there tried to help my wife but found nothing.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 30 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (mungo @ Nov 30 2011, 10:35 PM) *
I have no idea, I rarely if ever venture out due to disability, I do know the security man there tried to help my wife but found nothing.

I can understand her upset, I can only say that she is one of many that this kind of thing happens to. I would imagine that she is sick with guilt and remorse. It won't come as any consolation, but this story might serve as a reminder to people that they should be vigilant in busy environments, especially when using a phone in public or using a cash machine.

I'm sat here wishing I had a spare phone that is similar I could give away, but sadly I don't.

+Quote Post
mungo
post Nov 30 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #20

I wouldn't worry about having a spare Andy, whilst it isnt insured in any way I can replace it in time, it may be a couple of months or so but I will work something out.

As for learning from it, probably only as long as the guilt lasts plus a week or two, sadly a lot of people will then believe they are immune from lightning hitting twice in the same place !.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:43 PM