Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tesco
Rose8
post May 26 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 104

My son was turned away from buying Tobacco today at Tesco, Pinchington Lane as he went there with his girlfriend!!! She isnt 18 until November. He is 18 and DOES have ID. She DOESNT smoke, never has and is disgusted by it (likewise so am i, but thats not y point here). BUT because she was simply with him, they refused him !!! Like he pointed out - maybe they should change their signs to say "PERSONS BUYING TOBACCO MUST SHOW ID AND WILL ONLY BE SERVED IF THE PERSON THEY ARE WITH IS OVER 18" - so stupid. What if he had gone up with his sister - she is 8 !!! Pathetic.

Anyone know the Managers name at Tesco? I cant find it on any websites for the store.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 27 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #2

Guests

Thats just insane.

I take my 6 year old shopping and amongst other things buy alcohol. I would go ape if they refused to serve me it because he was with me.

I'd ring customer services there if I were you. Then ask for the Store Manager. Someone working there has either got the law totally wrong or is just inventing thier own.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 27 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

If we are to attempt to cut down on people who smoke, or stop others helping people to smoke, then measures like these are possibly necessary. I was approached by some youths outside Tesco last night asking me to buy them some 'baccy', something which I declined to do.

Having a brother die of cancer and a father-in-law who has had half a lung removed, I didn't feel happy about helping young lads to a similar fate.

If it were my son or daughter, I'd possibly be more concerned about why they wish to purchase tobacco, than worry about a place that refused to serve it.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 27 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Rose8 @ May 26 2009, 08:10 PM) *
My son was turned away from buying Tobacco today at Tesco, Pinchington Lane as he went there with his girlfriend!!! She isnt 18 until November. He is 18 and DOES have ID. She DOESNT smoke, never has and is disgusted by it (likewise so am i, but thats not y point here). BUT because she was simply with him, they refused him !!! Like he pointed out - maybe they should change their signs to say "PERSONS BUYING TOBACCO MUST SHOW ID AND WILL ONLY BE SERVED IF THE PERSON THEY ARE WITH IS OVER 18" - so stupid. What if he had gone up with his sister - she is 8 !!! Pathetic.

Anyone know the Managers name at Tesco? I cant find it on any websites for the store.

Because you son went to Tesco’s with his girlfriend and she looked under age they might have presumed he was as well. Under the law anybody looking under age (whether they are or not) should be turned away unless they have the appropriate ID. Many kids who look like adults have been sold tobacco and the shops concerned have bas prosecuted for it. Shops are not prepared to take the risk. My daughter is 24 – she doesn’t smoke – however, she has bought alcohol and has been asked for her ID.

+Quote Post
Me-again
post May 27 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 68

I was refused alcohol some time ago as I was with my 13 year old step daughter. I was ID'd (I am 33) and refused as they thought I was buying it for her. It was a £25 bottle of Jack Daniels!

+Quote Post
GreenGerkin
post May 27 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 101

QUOTE (GMR @ May 27 2009, 01:25 PM) *
Many kids who look like adults have been sold tobacco and the shops concerned have bas prosecuted for it. Shops are not prepared to take the risk. My daughter is 24 – she doesn’t smoke – however, she has bought alcohol and has been asked for her ID.

It was probably just the shop assistant just being over careful. It actually isnt the shop that gets prosecuted. It is the person who serves them. This is probably just a shop assistant being overly cautious, nothing to get in a stress about tbh

+Quote Post
Andrea
post May 27 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

It is ridiculous, I can see their point in doing so but in some instances, it's just stupid. My boyfriend (25) and myself (21) shop at tescos and spend anywhere between £50-£100 each go, one time we'd bought a bottle of wine with our food shopping and they ID'd both myself and my boyfriend. Understandable as I do look quite young, but my boyfriend definitely looks over the age of 18. I had my ID but my boyfriend didn't have his wallet with him. They nearly refused to sell the wine to us (which I was actually going to use for cooking) just because my boyfriend didn't have his ID with him. It was only after a few minutes of convincing the woman that we were both over the age of 18 and we didn't know of any 17- year olds who'd spend £100 on groceries just so they can get away with buying a bottle of wine. Plus, it was me purchasing the food in the first place!

+Quote Post
AmieB
post May 27 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (GMR @ May 27 2009, 01:25 PM) *
. Under the law anybody looking under age (whether they are or not) should be turned away unless they have the appropriate ID.

She clearly stated her son did have ID.

He had ID, proved his age and they turned him away unsure.gif I have never read a law which states you cant serve someone if their companion doesn't look old enough - nonsense! But im sure someone will correct me on this...... wink.gif
I would complain to the Manager.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 27 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (AmieB @ May 27 2009, 04:11 PM) *
She clearly stated her son did have ID.

He had ID, proved his age and they turned him away unsure.gif I have never read a law which states you cant serve someone if their companion doesn't look old enough - nonsense! But im sure someone will correct me on this...... wink.gif
I would complain to the Manager.

OK, I misread that so I apologise. But you are right; if he has ID he should have been served. Maybe the manager thought he was going to pass it on to the child?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 28 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ May 27 2009, 07:47 PM) *
Maybe the manager thought he was going to pass it on to the child?

I really don't see how that is relevant in the slightest. He could just as well have been on his own and going home to ply his 10 kids all under 18 with alcohol. How on earth is the shop responsible for that? This country is going mad.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 28 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Well done Tesco I say... responsible trading tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andrea
post May 28 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

This reminds me of a situation about a year ago of a pensioner who was refused alcohol at a supermarket because he did not have his ID on him. The supermarket was ID-ing everyone who was purchasing alcohol or tobacco. He ended up leaving empty handed, but got an apology in the end after he got BBC involved biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 28 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 28 2009, 11:17 AM) *
I really don't see how that is relevant in the slightest. He could just as well have been on his own and going home to ply his 10 kids all under 18 with alcohol. How on earth is the shop responsible for that? This country is going mad.

I agree that the country is going mad.... but it has done since labour got into power.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post May 28 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Sensible Tesco - concerns over my son smoking etc etc ...... knew that one would come !! Like i ENJOY my son smoking !!! I am 38 and have NEVER smoked a day in my life!! I DO NOT agree with him smoking and dont allow it in the house AT ALL - HOWEVER - he IS 18 !! He can do what he likes. I pass on my views to him but those with children know how they turn deaf when they ant to !! As for tesco being sensible, they lost a customer, obviously they can afford this then. My son DID have ID on him yes, which he did show.

My whole point is my son did ALL he should, Tesco were 'out of line' and over-cautious is one thing i could say i suppose (being polite!). He went up there to purchase something, he shouldnt have been prevented from doing this. Agree with smoking or not, really ISN'T the point of this thread. I fully intend on complaining.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 29 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rose8 @ May 28 2009, 09:06 PM) *
...My whole point is my son did ALL he should, Tesco were 'out of line' and over-cautious is one thing i could say i suppose (being polite!). He went up there to purchase something, he shouldnt have been prevented from doing this. Agree with smoking or not, really ISN'T the point of this thread. I fully intend on complaining.
Tesco can get prosecuted for selling to someone who intends to pass the tobacco on. People do this, so they have to bring in measures to protect themselves. I still maintain though, that it seems strange you are so incensed; if it were my son or daughter, I'd be celebrating that it become slightly harder for people to buy tobacco.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post May 29 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Its becuase the POINT is NOT the smoking - its the failure to serve when they should have. My son gave no reason for them to think he would pass the tobacco on, his girlfriend doesnt smoke anyway. It stopped him going about his business in the way he wanted to. He went elsewhere for the tobacco, wasting fuel and time. But at least his lungs had 5 mins extra fresh eh wink.gif

It can be hard to get a point accross sometimes it really can, but most people understood where i was coming from.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 30 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I think your son should make an official complaint. I would. If he had his ID with him then he should have been sold the goods.

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post Jun 23 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

The same with alcohol, i went in there a few nights ago and two guys wanted to purchase alcohol, but unfortunetly they were with two girls and they didnt have ID, so no sell. Ah well... I think its a terrible system or law. You could just leave, wait 5 minutes, come back in on your own, purchase, and your outa there with a tongue.gif

Sort it out.

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jun 23 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

Good on the cashier.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 23 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Jun 23 2009, 01:33 PM) *
Good on the cashier.

Why?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:53 PM