Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Demand for the End of the Town Council, Letter in the Newbury Weekly
Simon Kirby
post Mar 26 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Letter in the Newbury Weekly today questioning the need for the Town Council and challenging the council's track record.

Things won't just improve on their own, the Council is just too damaged, too arrogant, and too invested in hiding their problem. Matters will only get worse until there is an independent investigation into the goings on at the Council.

Allan Law also calls time on Swift-Half in another letter. Certainly the Leader of the Council could do much to resolve the institutional failings at the Council if he acknowledged the Council's failings and resigned, and any decent leader would do just that, but I don't see that happening, and an independent warts-and-all investigation into the problems at the Council is the only way I see this ending well.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 27 2015, 06:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Yes, sadly I think you are quite right. At best it's incompetence, but it's now institutionalised. I find it astounding that they still just carry on regardless with no constraint or challenge whatsoever.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 27 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 27 2015, 06:25 PM) *
Yes, sadly I think you are quite right. At best it's incompetence, but it's now institutionalised. I find it astounding that they still just carry on regardless with no constraint or challenge whatsoever.

If they had to perform to the same standards as the private sector they would have gone out of business years ago if they treated customers the same as they do those who they are supposed to be serving! angry.gif

I know I keep repeating this but I just can't fathom out why there is no public outcry in Newbury? blink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 27 2015, 07:13 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 27 2015, 06:36 PM) *
If they had to perform to the same standards as the private sector they would have gone out of business years ago if they treated customers the same as they do those who they are supposed to be serving! angry.gif

I know I keep repeating this but I just can't fathom out why there is no public outcry in Newbury? blink.gif

I quite agree - almost a conspiracy of silence.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 27 2015, 08:39 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 27 2015, 06:36 PM) *

I think we have to ask seriously why the Newbury Weekly isn't doing more to get t the bottom of the problems at the Town Hall. We get a picture of the ceremonial mayor pretty much every week, but very little challenge of the arrogance, unaccountability, and relentless ineptitude of the Town Council. It paints a false picture of a happy parish council when the reality is that the organisation is irredeemably dysfunctional. The Newbury Weekly is a commercial outfit that wants to sell newspapers, I understand that, but the paper also has a moral obligation to the public to expose the truth, and while the paper props up the Council's establishment spin it is complicit in the tyranny.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 2 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

This week's printed NWN carries a piece about RUP. It seems that the party enquiry has completley exhonorated him. I'm surprised they released this information before the election but pleased because it demonstrates there still some honorable behaviour at the centre.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 2 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 2 2015, 03:30 PM) *
This week's printed NWN carries a piece about RUP. It seems that the party enquiry has completley exhonorated him. I'm surprised they released this information before the election but pleased because it demonstrates there still some honorable behaviour at the centre.

Not so. The article clearly says that a WBC enquiry has exhonorated him - we still await the results of the party enquiry. I fear we may wait for a long time, certainly until after the election and probably a lot longer.

Apparently some councillors (presumably NTC) complained about his behaviour using the complaints procedure in place to deal with errant parish councillors. WBC have investigated and found Ruwan has no case to answer. I'm not too sure how independent this inquiry was, after all WBC is a Tory dominated organisation.

Nevertheless I am looking forward to JLH's response to this development.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 2 2015, 04:15 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 2 2015, 04:16 PM) *
Not so. The article clearly says that a WBC enquiry has exhonorated him - we still await the results of the party enquiry. I fear we may wait for a long time, certainly until after the election and probably a lot longer.

Apparently some councillors (presumably NTC) complained about his behaviour using the complaints procedure in place to deal with errant parish councillors. WBC have investigated and found Ruwan has no case to answer. I'm not too sure how independent this inquiry was, after all WBC is a Tory dominated organisation.

In any event the usual delay and obstruction from the controllers at our local mini council yet again amply demonstrate the catastrophic state of local democracy. When can we have done with this expensive, pointless pretence.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 2 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

As long as Parkgate you think? I can foresee they will not want to publish a negative just before an election though? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 2 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 2 2015, 06:01 PM) *
As long as Parkgate you think? I can foresee they will not want to publish a negative just before an election though? rolleyes.gif

It is almost bound to include a negative - either Ruwan or JLH was, presumably, in the wrong?

I do wonder which carpet it is being swept under. Or who has been tasked with writing it up along the lines of 'all just a minor misunderstanding', 'we will be reviewing our procedures', and, of course, 'we are committed to open government at all levels.'

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 2 2015, 05:56 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 2 2015, 06:47 PM) *
It is almost bound to include a negative - either Ruwan or JLH was, presumably, in the wrong?

I do wonder which carpet it is being swept under. Or who has been tasked with writing it up along the lines of 'all just a minor misunderstanding', 'we will be reviewing our procedures', and, of course, 'we are committed to open government at all levels.'

Surely they can't sweep this one under the carpet too? If they do they are going to need a step ladder to be able to get across the room! laugh.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 2 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 2 2015, 06:47 PM) *

You've missed your vocation Blackdog. They pay a lot for concise, lucid reports like that!k

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 2 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I think it's great that JLH is taking an interest in the shambolic chaos that is Newbury Town Council.

I wonder though what response the Leader of the Council Julian Swift-Hook will make. Resignation would be good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 2 2015, 07:41 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 2 2015, 08:36 PM) *
I think it's great that JLH is taking an interest in the shambolic chaos that is Newbury Town Council.

I wonder though what response the Leader of the Council Julian Swift-Hook will make. Resignation would be good.

Whoops! smile.gif - Swift Hook, not Left Hook - my mistake.

So who is this JLH? Off to google.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 2 2015, 07:47 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 2 2015, 08:41 PM) *
So who is this JLH? Off to google.

That's the last we'll hear from you tonight then...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 2 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I thought it was Julian Swift-Half? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 2 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 2 2015, 08:47 PM) *
That's the last we'll hear from you tonight then...

Googled - impressive list of film credits. Sadly I haven't seen any of them!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 3 2015, 08:23 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 2 2015, 11:31 PM) *
Googled - impressive list of film credits. Sadly I haven't seen any of them!

Is that a euphemism? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 3 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 2 2015, 08:36 PM) *

With JLH now taking an interest in the Council I think Simon ought to produce a spreadsheet of recent Expenses Claims? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Apr 7 2015, 06:16 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 27 2015, 07:25 PM) *
At best it's incompetence, but it's now institutionalised. I find it astounding that they still just carry on regardless with no constraint or challenge whatsoever.

Although the problems at Newbury Town Council may have started out as "incompetence", they moved swiftly beyond this years ago, as I found out last year.

I do not agree that the problems are "institutional" for frankly NTC is too small an organisation not to benefit from immediate changes introduced by those in charge.

There are many fine people within Newbury Town Council (both officers and members), but sadly they do not challenge their "shambolic" leadership and hence are guilty of the 'cabal's' actions by association.

Newbury Town Council has the ability to become a truly effective, efficient and economic organisation that truly provides a high level of service to the public, but to do this openness and transparency are desperately needed.

The residents of Newbury have the opportunity to change the management at all levels of Government this May, and I would commend them to make sure that those standing for election are 'fit for purpose'.

Being in service to the public is a huge honour, so please make sure that those representing us are up to the job!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:50 AM